Meeting B.A.P

The English Teacher

 

 

I looked around me. It was kind of a nice apartment. "Yah! Kids get over here!!" Ahjussi shouted, startling me.

"Manager!" a chorus of boys voices shouted. Suddenly there was a huge sound of commotion as five blond boys came thundering in the room. I hid slightly behind Ahjussi, as they all greeted each other.

"Where's maknae?" Ahjussi asked, noticing for the first time that he wasn't there.

"Detention, where else?" muttered one of the boys.

"Aish, that babo. What did I tell him? Don't be late! Aish!" muttered Ahjussi. "Ahh, anyway. Boys, this is Joyce." Ahjussi, grabbed me and pushed me slightly in front of him.

"Annyeonghaseo," I said shyly, bowing at ninety degrees again. "I'm Joyce Kim."

"Annyeonghaseo," they repeated bowing as well. Ahjussi introduced them as Yongguk, Himchan, Daehyun, Youngjae and Jongup. They were all really good looking and I blushed and looked down, especially Daehyun and Jongup. Jongup couldn't seem to stop smiling. For some reason he reminded me of Zelo. Zelo? Why was I thinking of Zelo? Ahjussi interrupted my thoughts. "She'll be teaching you guys English for a while."

Apparentley none of them had been told this before, because they all started to moan except for Daehyun. "Wae? It's not like we're terrible at English!" came from them all in unison . . . except from Daehyun. "No offence, but I'm a lot older than her. Couldn't you at least have gotten someone older?" Yongguk said. 

"Ya--" Ahjussi started to say, but Daehyun beat him to it.

"Yah! Hyung stop insulting her! If the manager said we had to learn English, we have to learn it. O.K?" he snapped.

 

Everyone just stared at him for a while, including me. Finally, Himchan coughed. "I didn't know you liked English so much Daehyun." he said, laughing.

"Mwol? I just think we should respect Manager." he replied embarrased at his outburst.

"Erghhh . . . um, thanks Daehyun?" said Ahjussi, uncertainly. "Um . . . well anyway, why don't ye guys sit down on the couch. Joyce, you sit in the armchair."

We all took our respective places. "Now," he resumed talking. "She'll be teaching you guys for an hour, four times during the week. Twice after school and on the weekends. O.K? She'll help with interview questions and pronunciation for songs. O.K?"

"Jinjja?" Daehyun and Yongguk both looked excited at this.

"What?" All the members looked at them. 

"Well, I can get someone to English-proof my songs now." Yongguk smirked as if this was obvious.

Daehyun never got a chance to explain his reason, because just then the door opened and a tall blond boy burst in. He seemed out of breath, and exhausted as he said "Hyungs, Manager, I'm here, sorry I'm late!".

"Zelo?" I muttered under my breath. He looked shocked that all of his band members were squished onto a couch. Then he noticde me on the armchair. 

"Joy!" he exclaimed and came over and scooped me up in a hug. A hug? What was he doing? We barely knew each other. He put me down. "So this is way you couldn't help me. First you land me in detention then you won't even help me even though you were coming to meet us. Hahaha. Why didn't you tell me?" he pouted.

 

I was aware that everyone was watching our exchange with rapt attention. "Um . . . I didn't even know myself until a while ago, least alone I'd be meeting you! Why didn't you tell me that you were a superstar?" I demanded, "And you told me that it was your fault you got yourself in detention." I pouted back.

"Ahem," Ahjussi cleard his throat. "Well, since you two know each other, I guess I'll leave you to it. I'll be back in a while to take you home, O.K, Joy?"

"Ne Ahjussi." He walked off then, shaking his head in confusion.

"Zelo, sit down." scolded Yongguk. "Now, do you mind telling me how the pair of ye know each other?"

"School," me and Zelo answered at the same time, we both smiled at each other. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Himchan and Youngjae exchange a quizzical glance and Daehyun just scowled.

"Hmmm," said Yongguk thoughfully. "And what's the situation? Are you boyfriend/girlfriend or friends whats the story?"

"M-m-mwol?" I finally stuttered out. Yongguk looked at me patientley and repeated his question. "ANI!" I nearly shouted, causing the members to jump at look at me. "Ani," I repeated, "it's nothing like that.". They still looked disbelieving so I looked at Zelo for help. He looked vaguely hurt. "Zelo, please explain to them."I pleaded.

"Wae? Oh. Um . . ." he started, he still looked troubled. "Um, I'm Joy's only friend" He beamed, back to his cherry self. "She has no friends yet, and we sit beside each other."

I cringed at his explanation. Only friend? How did he know I didn't have any other friends in England? I could have hundreds for all he knew! "Alright," said Himchan simply. "Now, do you want to explain why it's you that's teaching us, and not some older, more mature, qualified teacher?"

"Ahjussi is an old family friend, and um . . . honestly, I don't know why it's me teaching you. When Ahjussi told me that I'd be tutoring some-one, I thought they'd be some high schooler studying for exams. I didn't know you'd be . . ." I trailed off unsure how to finish it. What were they? Idols? Celebrities?

"The amazing, glourious B.A.P?" supplied Youngjae.

"Sure." I laughed. "So, how many of you can actually speak Englsih?" I asked, keen to learn how much they all knew. 

"Well, Zelo, Yongguk and Youngjae are the best. The rest of us fair O.K after that." said Jongup, opening his mouth for the first time. He was actually kind of cute I thought. A large smile on his face and crinkled eyes.

 

                                                                                                   *                  *                  * 

 

"Joy, are you ready to go yet?" called Ahjussi as he entered the apartment.

"Yeah, I just can't find the movie." I said. I'd learned yesterday that Youngjae was the brain of the group. He was by far the best at English. Zelo and Yongguk came in at a close second. Daehyun was next, he barely said anything after his earlier outburst, just scowled. I began to worry that he didn't like having me there. Himchan could write English well enough, but he couldn't speak it at all. He couldn't understand how to pronounce the words, and would just end up cursing. For some reason, I found this hilarous, and couldn't stop laughing at him, which only made Daehyun grow sulkier. What was his problem! And lastly, Jongup. He was hopeless. He was extremely shy as well, and his cheeks grew a beetroot red when he didn't understand the question, which was most of the time. It was Saturday, so they had suggested I bring over some good DVD's to watch.

"Aish!" I cursed. I couldn't find any of my good war movies or comedies, so I grabbed the first DVD I found. "Alright, Ahjussi let's go."

 

"The Help?" said Yongguk skeptically.

"What's it about?" asked Daehyun. Finally he was talking!

"It's about the maids in the 1960's." I cursed myself! Of all movies, 'The Help'? I couldn't even watch the opening credits without crying. This was going to be torture for all of us! "It's a great story about how people over come stereotypes, and the English is easy enough!"

"Alright," said Zelo nonchalantly, and he put it in the DVD player. I sat down on the big couch, Daehyun and Zelo sat down either side of me, Daehyun on the right and Zelo on my left, and Jongup sat down beside Zelo.  Youngjae, and Himchan grabbed two beanie bags, before sitting down at my feet. Yongguk gave the two maknaes a dirty look, beofre grabbing a beanie bag as well. Zelo pressed play, and the movie played.

 

Less than ten minutes into the movie, silent tears started streaming down my cheeks. Luckily no-one noticed. Suddenly I felt something wipe the tears away. "Mwol?" Daehyun had a tissue and was wiping my tears away. No-one else noticed this unexpected affection beacuse they were all too busy trying to figure the movie out. "You know you shouldn't have picked such a said movie if you knew it was going to make you cry." he scolded.

"It's not my fault!" I said, "I couldn't find any of my other movies, and I was late"

"Ahh, so your great reason before was lies?" he smirked.

"No, I just couldn't find any other movie, it still all stands. It is still a great movie." I stuck my tongue out at him. He laughed. After a while the jet lag and rest less nights I'd been having lately caught up with me. The T.V screen began to get blurred, making my eyes tired and the subtitles weren't helping, (Jongup and Himchan had insisted on them, they said it was the only way they could understand it.). Finally, I drifted to asleep and my head flopped down on someones shoulder.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________