The Warning.

The English Teacher

 

 

The next day Zelo wasnt in either. I was exhausted. During most of my classes I put my head down inbetween my arms and slept. Suddenly, I felt someone shake my shoulder. I looked up, and Taerin was smiling down at me. I quickly scanned the classroom. Noone was there. I noticed Taerin was holding something in her hand. She was holding a small pink lunchbox and two sets of steel chopsticks.

"Lunch time."

 

We had to sit inside today at a crowded cantine table, because of the rain pouring down outside. I groaned. I easily got sick, and the rain was the prime time diseases were wide spread and the immune system was weakened. I was dreading work after school. As if she was a mind reader, Taerin asked me who I liked work and was up for it again.

"Err. . ." I replied hestitantly. "I guess it's not too bad, but I'm so tired! And what's with everyone hitting on me? Aish, it's so annoying!"

"Hahaha, you're lucky! As long as they don't do anything too serious you'll be fine." she brushed it off casually.

I was shocked. I guess it was a moral decision. Did I continue to let them hit on me and ignore them or hold my head high and and stop working there? I looked at Taerin's excited face. She reminded me a lot of Laura. No, I needed to work there. I needed to save up enough money to impress Laura with a nice flat and a working car when she came over. I needed to be able to show her around Seoul, how was I going to do that without money?

Working late in the evening a few nights a week was a small pay back for someone who was my bestfriend for five years while I was wangdda. Like me, Laura was also Korean, except she was half American. I was unbelievably lucky in that respect. We took the underground together every day. However, unlike me, Laura was pretty and popular. Especially with the boys. No matter what she was doing, there would always be a lad there, trying, normally in vain, to impress her. Laura could have had anyone as a bestfriend, but she choose me. Others still ignored me, of course, but at least they acknowledged my presence. I was enternly grateful to her.

"I'll do the job for a while," harding my resolve.

Without warning, a bottle flew out of nowhere and hit me smack at the back of the head. I looked around for the source. Not far from me, about two tables behind me a queenka looked over at me and waved sacrcastically. Her boyfriend, a kingka, smirked and bent down and whispered in her ear, still looking at me. She laughed and nodded. I turned around, ignore them Joyce, just ignored, I chanted repeatedly in my head. But I couldn't shake the that my wangdda past had caught up with me.

 

 

                                                                  *              *              *

 

Taerin had told me to go on ahead, she wasn't working today. I got to the club on time, and changed into my uniform. I grabbed my pen and pad, and left for the club floor. I was nearing the end of my shift, when someone grabbed my wrist. I looked around, it was the kingka from earlier today. I yanked my wrist out of his grip.

"Fiesty, eh?" he cocked an eyebrow.

"Please don't touch me. What do you want?" I asked as an afterthought. The presence of the kingka deeply disturbed me. Thankfully, he gave me his order without any more hassle. However, while I was delivering it, someone tripped me. I fell to my knees, smashing the glass, and cutting my right hand badly. I went to the staff room, and tried to stem the bleeding. Finally, after ten minutes, and a whole roll of toilet paper, I got the bleeding under control. I was a little concerned about the amount of blood I lost. The manager let me go early, seeing as I wouldn't be able to hold a cup right now.

However, when I got home, I didn't get a chance to go to the hospital or the doctors. Someone had spray-painted '!' on my door. I gulped. What if they were still here? Just at the bottom of the door was a brick with a note wrapped around it. I tore the it off and read it:

Stay away from them - or else. This is your first and final warning.

What? That didn't make any sense. Who was 'they'? Why would anyone want to attack me? I shook my head. It was obviously meant for someone else. I turned the key in the door, and heard with satisfaction the lock click open. I pushed the door open. It needed an extra shove because it was stiff. I all the lights.

I sighed in relief. Inside my house was fine. It was plainly obvious no one had been in here. It would've been immediatley obvious. After all, my apartment was tiny, and I was insanely neat about everything. I stuck to the mantra that 'everything has a place, and every place has something'. I looked for my first aid kit and wrapped a bandage around my wrist and most of my arm. I looked at my bag for a while, with a look of pure spite. I couldn't write now, so I couldn't do my homework now, not with my hand bandaged up. I got out a book and looked at it for a while, without seeing anything.

Finally, after twenty minutes, I accepted defeat. I climbed into my bed, careful not to jostle my arm. I had no pain killers in my house, and the pain was excrutiating. I lay awake for ages. I was waiting for the pain to subside, but it only seem to get worse. I decided that I would teach B.A.P tomorrow - well today, seeing as it was past midnight - as I didn't have any work later on, and then on Thursdays as well. Then I would just have to go over early on the weekends. I just had to clear it up with Ahjussi, but I was sure he wouldn't mind. Just as it started to get bright outside, I drifted off to sleep, excited by the thought of seeing B.A.P in less than ten hours.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________