Hospital

The English Teacher

 

 

My eyes fluttered open, and I found myself straing at a bright tiled ceiling. I turned my head to the left and realised that there was oxygen tubes attached around my face that were strapped underneath my nose. I moved one hand up and pulled them down as they began to annoy me. I noticed that I had an IV attached in my arm that was carrying a clear liquid into my blood stream. I was a little confused as to what I was doing in a hospital. Had something happened to me?

The machine I was attached to must have alerted a nurse as a Doctor came in, not two seconds later.

"Miss Lee, you're awake." He stated simply and began to check the various machines that I was attched to.

"Um, I'm sorry, but why am I here?" I asked in a small voice as the Doctor checked my ears.

"You were hit on the head at a concert, I believe. You received a concusssion from the impact." He explained and turned my head with one of his hands so that he could check my other ear. "It's not serious, but we would still like to monitor you for twenty four hours. You were brought here . . ." He checked the chart at the foot of my bed and then his pocket watch, " . . . approximately two hours ago."

"Is my brother, Lee Namsoo, or my friend, Song Nana, here?" I asked and swallowed the pills that the Doctor handed me in a small plastic cup that was origionally on the wooden sresser beside my bed.

"Yes, they're in the waiting room, along with a pop group that were there when you were injured and about a hundred reporters." He told me and I almost choked on the water that I was handed by the man.

"Pop Group? Reporters?"

"Yes, but don't worry, I expect that they just want to show that they are 'kind' idols and they'll take a few photos of the visiting you and leave, as per usual." It was plain to me that the Doctor had a lot of contempt for celebrities, and for some reason that annoyed me. I wanted to tell him that B.A.P weren't like that, that they were really nice and kind people, but I didn't. Instead I stayed quiet.

"I'm sorry, but do they have to come and see me? Can I not refuse?" I asked.

"No, I already asked. They're your visitors so I can't stop them, but, you can, however, pretend to be wither asleep or extremely distressed when they arrive. If you do that, I have grounds to remove them, as you need your rest and they shouldn't be disturbing that." The Doctor explained and I nodded my head slowly.

"I think I'll opt for the first." I told him.

"Okay. I'll remove them a short while after they come in then." He told me and walked out of the room, muttering about the rudeness of celebrities and that they shouldn't have bothered coming as they only caused trouble wherever they went.

 

I patted my hair down nervously when I heard footsteps approaching the door, and I turned my head slightly away from the door, so that my head was facing the opposite direction. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply and out slowly, so that it would appear that I was asleep. I heard multiple footsteps enter the room, and I quickly squeezed my eyes tighter shut still. I heard the click of what I presumed was cameras, and then someone drew the curtains shut.

"Yongguk, what are you doing?" I heard an unfamilar man ask.

"She needs her privacy, hyung." Yongguk replied. Hyung? That must have been one of their other managers then.

"The whole point is for the press to see that your her, visiting her. Wake her up." The Manager replied and I heard beeping tones, he must have been on his phone. "Now, open them."

My stomach fell. I guessed that they wouldn't have come to see me after I had just left them there, but it sill hurt when it was confirmed. I'm only human, I can't help what I feel. I felt someone take my hand that was hanging off of the side of the bed and squeeze it lightly. I was panicking at this point in my head. Who was it? Surely Daehyun wouldn't have want to hold my hand, after I had left so abruptly? I calmed down when I realised it was probably just for the camera. The hurt didn't lessen though.

"I wish the other Manager hyung was here." I heard Zelo whisper darkly from my left.

"It's not his fault, he didn't know that this would happen when he left." Himchan whispered back.

"Hyung, when will he be back?" Jongup asked as well.

"He flies in tomorrow at noon." Himchan replied.

"And will he be coming here?" Zelo asked.

"Most likely."

"Does he know we are here?"

"Or does he know that  Joyce came to the concert?" Jongup added

"I don't know. Stop asking so many questions. You know about as much as I do!" Himchan hissed at them.

"Sorry." I heard the two bashful boys reply together.

 

"Excuse me." I heard a door opening and the doctor's voice filled the room. "Are any of you relatives?"

"No, we're not, but we're friends." Yongguk said.

"I'm sure you are." The doctor replied sarcastically.

"No, it's true. Daehyun hyung even -" Zelo's voice was muffled by a loud sound like a plunger. I presumed that someone had clamped their hands over his mouth.

"Listen, if none are you are relatives, I'm afraid that you cannot stay here. This patient needs rest."

"Why?" Youngjae asked.

"Because she suffered from a severe concussion, that was your fault I believe. The least that you can do is allow Ms. Lee to sleep."

"But she's not sleeping." Youngjae retorted and my body stiffened. "She's faking, you can tell."

"Excuse me?" The doctor asked. It was obvious that he was getting annoyed now.

"She's reacting to everything we say and she even reacted when Daehyun hyung grabbed her hand. I froze. So it was Daehyun who grabbed my hand.

"So? Most people do that in their sleep." The doctor said impatiently. "Now, will you leave of your own free will or must I call security?"

"Security." Youngjae answered.

"Youngjae, stop it." Daehyun told him icily. "It won't help anything. Let's just leave."

I heard the door swing open, making no noise on it's well oiled hinges, except to displace air. Footsteps shuffled out and the door closed and I sighed and opened my eyes. It was the wrong move though, because Daehyun and Youngjae were still in there, looking at me with raised eyebrows.

"Asleep, huh?" Youngjae asked. I groaned and turned over on my stomach and hid my head under the cushion.

"Why won't you look at us?" Daehyun asked and I ignored him. "Why did you leave so suddenly?"

I throw the cushion off my head and turned to face him.

"Because." I answered curtly.

"Because?"

"Because it was your career on the line. Because I would have felt horrible if I had ruined it for you. Because I couldn't ruin it for you. Because this is the type of thing that would happen more often if I stayed." I told them, my voice cracking half way through.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Daehyun asked, raising his voice, and I flinched. He had never shouted at me before, and to be perfectly honest, he is scary when he is angry.

"Can't you just accpet that it would be better for all involved to just have it this way?" I asked him, siletly pleading for him to understand.

"No, I can't, Joyce." Daehyun told me. He ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "Whatever." He said and walked out of the room, Youngjae giving me a fleeting glance.

"We're truly sorry about this . . . accident, Joyce." He said, before following Daheyun out of the room.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

X