His Story

The English Teacher

 

 

Daehyun's POV:

As I was listening to Eumni's story, something clicked inside of me. It seems my past has come back to haunt me, and destroy the happiness I have finally found here. B.A.P knew about it. I knew I had to tell them, and I wanted to get it off of my chest. They listened to me, and didn't judge me for not being able to save her.

When I was a child, I had an alcoholic and abusive Appa. Although, now, I call him by his name. He is not my father anymore. He liked to spend his evenings drinking, and wasting our hard earned money. He would chat with his equally drunk friends. He would come home late in the night, or perphaps I should say early in the morning. Both me and Omma would be asleep. He'd wake up Omma with his screaming and shouting. I was too young to realise at the time, but he would hit her and kick her. I found out as I got older though. When I tried to stop him, he would turn on me, but I didn't mind, as long as Omma was safe.

Omma didn't like it though. One time when I was sixteen, the had a partiularly bad episode. He got extremely violent. When he found me, Omma tried to stop him. The was too intoxicated to figure things out. He got very abusive. I tried to pull him back, but he flung me across the front room, and my head connected with the fireplace. I was knocked unconscious, leaving Omma to fend for herself.

I woke up two days later in the hospital. Everything was so bright, and clean. The smell of disinfectant was very strong. I was awake for no longer than two minutes, sifting through my muddled thoughts, when I rememebered. I tried to get out of my bed, but I only managed to succeed in alerting the nurses to my new state. One rushed over to me with a large needle. Before I could object or move away, the needle bit into my upper arm, and I was left unconscious, again.

I woke up again, another three days after. This time, a nurse immediately saw me. She came over to me and checked my vitals. I was  begining to get worried about Omma. My throat was dry and I was a little hoarse, but I managed to croak out one word, "Omma." The nurse seemed to understad me, and tears sprang to her eyes.

"She's in intensive care. She sustained heavy injuries. She's in a coma. We don't think she'll ever wake up. I'm sorry."

I burst out in hysterics. This couldn't be happening. Omma. I couldn't protect her. I failed, and now I'll never have another converstation with her, she'll never hug me, and tell me things will be alright like she always did. The nurse recognised my distress and I was given another injection. This one didn't last as long though, as I woke up an hour later. I kept calm this time, I needed to see Omma. The nurses reluctantly agreed. They brought me a wheelchair, and brought me down. I couldn't believe my eyes.

She had a bandage around the crown of her head. She was hooked up to so many machines you could barely make out her petite figure underneath them all. She looked so broken.

"Omma?" I asked, and clutched at her hand desperately. "Omma, wake up!" I pleaded. "Omma, I need you. Omma, don't leave me all alone. Omma-"

The orderly left me alone with her, and he came back after an hour, too soon.

"No. Omma. Omma-" I tried to hold onto her, but he dragged me away.

After a day, I was coherent enough for people to explain to me. The police came to visit me, and I gave a statement. Woosoo had been arrested. I went to court, but he was only given two years of jail. I was seething. Two years? For the living hell he had put me and Omma through? It was a joke.

After the court proceedings, I went to live with my Omma's sister. I liked Eunhee Ahjumma. She took care of me. She was truly like a seond mother to me. She didn't blame me, and loved me unconditionally. Every week, we'd try and visit Omma. When, I entered TS Entertainment, however, it became tricky, and I was lucky to see her once a month.

Woosoo got released prior to me joining the company. It seemed he had made it his job to destroy my life. He still got drunk. When my eighteenth birthday came around, me and a few close friends got together and went to the local club, and surprise, surprise, who was there? The . He tried to hit on a few girls from my school, and I had to pull him away from one cute girl.

She was in the same school as me, but I had never noticed her before. After that incident she started talking to me, and even made me cookies to thank me. I was feeling too guilty to tell her that it was my father. Whenever I went out after that, I would see Appa, hitting on girls my age.

Taerin and I started going out. We were our school's 'it couple'. I didn't like the spotlight. Eventually I opened up to her and told her about my past. She recoiled away from me, as if I disgusted her. She stopped talking to me, and spread vicous rumours, and even some of the truth, but no one really believed her. I guess you could say I was a very likeable person in my school. No one needed to say it, but everyone knew had broken up. After that, Taerin became hated. I tried to stop them, but she had done alot of stuff to people before and after she went out with me. Finally they all snapped. I never knew what happened, because I moved to Seoul. I'd seen a girl who looked like Taerin outside, along with all the fans, but I dismissed it. What would she be here? as far as I knew she was sill in Busan.

Appa tried to ring me every now and again. For the large part, i ignored his calls. When B.A.P saw me sneaking off to visit Omma, they asked me about it. After they pressed me for a while, I told them everything. They just listened to me, letting me rant. They were probably the best friends I could have asked for. They told me that it wasn't my fault, and I started to believe it.

 

But now, was Taerin really here? I had to ring Woosoo. I didn't want to talk to him, but I needed to. It wasn't long until it escalated into a shouting match. I just had so much pent up anger at him. It all tumbled out in one go. I completely forgot about Joyce in the other room. All he had was excuses. He was trying to get me to forgive him. Pathetic. Did he really think I would? After all those years? And all the things he put Omma through? He was stupider than I thought.

Finally, he told me something of worth. Someone had been ringing him up, looking for me. A girl named Taerin. She wanted to know about a girl she'd seen me with. Woosoo told me that the girl told him that if he ever got in touch with me, that he was supposed to deliver a warning.

'Stop going out with Joyce Lee, or let her suffer the consequences.'

"WHAT THE HELL DIDN'T YOU TELL ME? WHAT KIND OF IMBECILE ARE YOU?" I roared down the phone. How was he tupid enough not to tell me? Didn't he realise what kind of dangers Jonyce could have been in?

"I would have. If you ever answered my calls," he said in a snarky voice.

"The man who put my mother in a coma," I growled, my voice low. "Why would I answer your calls?"

"Because it's your fault too. Maybe if you had just saved her." His voice was acidic and corosive.

"YOU !" I slammed down the phone and walked into the front room, remebering Joyce. I got the fright of my life, when I saw everyone huddled around Joyce who was crying.

Oh, I thought. Well done, Daehyun. She's crying. You've only been going out with her how long and she's already crying. 

When she pushed me away, I felt as if someone had tore out a little bit of my heart and stood on it.

I hugged her while she was explaining to them, in the hopes of melting her heart a little bit. I couldn't help but flinch int oher side when it got to the bit about Taerin and the attack. I held her closer to me.

When she left with Nana, B.A.P where all looking at me, asking me the same question and giving me the answer.

"Are you going to tell her? You should."

 

I got up and walked over to the window, and gazed forlornly down. I was watching Nana and Joyce walking away from the building, their arms linked. They didn't seem to notice a group of girls walking after them. One of them grabbed Nana roughly and shoved her into an alley of the street. My eye's popped.

"YAH!" I shouted at the window. All B.A.P rushed to my side, wathing the scene unfold before us. The girls were pulling them rougly by their hair down into the alley.

"Hyungs, we got to go!" Jongup said urgently.

I nodded and we all grabbed our shoes, in too much of a hurry for coats, and ran outside, trying to find Nana and Joyce.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________