Happy Be-Lated Birthday

The English Teacher

 

 

The whole place was silent after Ahjussi left. It was as of we were all waiting for someone to speak, but no one could take that first step. It was a bitter silence. Finally, Namsoo oppa took the initative to open his mouth.

"Nana, Joy?" He called. He was obviously less shocked than the two of us, since his voice was rather calm and collected. We both looked at him, expecting him to have a remedy for this absurd situation. "Go to bed." He commanded.

I was a bit shocked. I expected him to impart some word of wisdom or comfort upon us, but instead, we're given a curfew. I didn't bother retorting though, I just got to my feet, and walked down to my room. I could hear Nana's feet shuffling behind me.

Once I was in my room, I shut the door, and climbed into bed, and pulled the covers more tightly around me. Was Ahjussi serious? Did I really have to go back to England?

I knew that it was stupid to be upset about it. I mean, what did I really have here in Seoul? But, there was that little part of me that was always hoping to somehow manage to see Daehyun and the others in the street by chance. Now, though, the chance was zilch. How often did Hallyu idols go to London? Hardly ever. Gosh, Appa and Ahjussi really screwed things up for me.

The main room light was still on, but I couldn't be bothered getting up to turn it off. Sadness quite often made me lazy beyond belief, so I just pulled the duvet up over my head. There, it was all sorted. Someone must have noticed it was on though, because the door creaked open. I threw the cover off my head, and glared at the intruder.

"Joy?" Nana asked me quietly, and crept over to me once she shut the door. I slid over in the bed, and she hopped in beside me. We stared up at the ceiling, neither of us saying anything to each other.

"Is Ahjussi serious?" Nana asked me after a while.

"I think so." I replied. "But, I hope not."

"Me too." She said, and then sighed heavily. "England? For real?"

There was another moment of silence, and then Nana got out of the bed, and padded towards the door. She opened it and walked out, but stopped, and turned around to face me.

"Hey, Joy, you going to school tomorrow?" She asked.

I shook my head. "No, I can't, oppa won't let me. He's worried I'll hurt myself further. I'll be back on Wednesday maybe."

She nodded, saying nothing and walked to her room.

 

*              *              *

 

"Joyce! Get out here!" I heard a feminine voice call me, most likely Nana. I dropped the t-shirts that I was dillengtely packing into a bag. While Nana was at school, I had spent the day doing unproductive things, until the boredom got the better of me, and I decided to just pack my things up.

It was depressing in a way. It was like the final nail in the coffin. By packing everything up, I was accepting my fate of going home to Appa.

I didn't get a chance to go out of my room though, because Nana burst into my room at that moment. Her hair was slightly messed up from the bitter wind outside, and her uniform was crinkled. She was holding a carrier bag, as well as her usual baby blue school bag. She wore a happy expression, but the sadness behind it was clearly evident. We'd become a right cheerful pair of friends, hadn't we?

She surved my room, which was littered with half packed bags.

"What's this?" She asked coldly, and glared at me.

"I'm packing up." I replied simply. I was confused and a little flustered under her gaze. When Nana got angry, she wasn't a force to be reckoned with.

"Why?"

"Because." I could barely get two words out, I was too tongue tied.

"That's not an answer. Why are you packing your things up?" She asked slowly, enunciating each syllable clearly.

"Well, I just thought that it would be best if I got it done now rather than later; while I have the time." I explained, and looked down at my fluffy pink bunny slippers.

"So you've given up then?"

I swear sometimes Nana can read my mind, since she knows exactly what I'm thinking.

"What was there ever to hold onto?" I asked, and finally looked up at Nana. Her icy glare pierced through me, freezing me to the spot.

"Friends. Seoul. Love. Zelo. Jongup. Yongguk. Himchan. Youngjae. Daehyun . . . Take your pick." She told me, and threw the carrier bag she was holding at me. I managed to catch it by the very tips of my fingers. I never saw Nana leave, but I heard the door slam shut.

Great, now she was mad at me. Was there no one that I couldn't anger easily?

 

"Aigoo." I muttered, and sat down on the bed. I opened the bag, that was rather too heavy not to be suspicious. Three tins were inside the bag. They were the type that you got small chocolate treats in at Christmas. I gasped aloud when I opened the first tin, and saw what was inside. I quickly opened the others, and the corner of my mouth twitched up.

Inside the three boxes were confectionary goods; cheesecake, muffins and rice krispie buns - exactly what I had tried to teach B.A.P so long ago. I dimly remember that Zelo and Jongup had destroyed their food, and had to beg for some cake off of the others. The others had made fairly decent pieces, nothing you'd give to a neighbour though.

I closed the lids of the seperate tins, and I stacked them on top of each other beside me. Next, I picked up the bag, and smoothed it out on my lap, lost in thought - and trapped in memories of the past. Who had given this to me? Surely Nana couldn't have made this in Home Economics, and besides, what were the chances of her being able to bake three things in the hour and a half that they had to bake - and all of them being the foods that B.A.P had made for me all those millenia ago? The chances were less than one percent.

I was staring into space and I was mindlessly folding the plastic bag, so I almost didn't notice the note that fluttered out. Luckily, however, I did, and I picked it up in curiousity.

It was folded over and I opened it up, smoothing out the wrinkles in the fifteen centimeter squared note. I read each word, my eyes carefully analysing the writing, and a lone tear slipped out of my cheek.

 

Bambi,

I'm sorry that I never got a chance to give you anything for your birthday, and I'm sorry that I snapped at you at the hospital. I didn't mean to, I was just so on edge from the worry.

I hope this makes up for it, we tried our best to bake it.

Daehyun

P.S: We're not mad at you, if you're even worried about that, I swear. Come and visit some time, I'm sure Seungpyo hyung won't mind. We are promoting outside of Seoul for a few days, but we should be back on Saturday. We miss you.

 

I sniffled, and I hurriedly put the note away - my tears were damaging it. He wasn't angry? How could he not be? But still, I was touched by their small gesture.

I was a little sad on my birthday, since Nana and I had to work that evening after school, so we couldn't do anything after that. Therefore, we had just bought a small chocolate cake on the way home from school and we had eaten it, not even bothering with the customary candles.

The words I couldn't help but focus on were; 'Come and visit some time, I'm sure Seungpyo hyung won't mind'. Did he really mean that? Did he not hate me for leaving them without so much of a 'See you later'?

"Aish!" I groaned in frustration, and threw a cushion at my door.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________