A New Job

The English Teacher

 

 

For once I was early to school. Last night I had expierenced boredom like never before. I was still too new to Seoul to know anywhere to go. I was still too poor to acually go anywhere, so I ended up getting some grocercies and baking muffins. I had baked some for Zelo and some for him to give to B.A.P. Baking was one of my hobbies, and one of the few things I was good at. I had iced little designs on them, and was quite proud of how they turned out. Everyone always told me how amazing my cakes were. Unfortunatley, I never got a chance to give them to Zelo, because he never showed up. I tried to text him, but I didn't get any reply. That wasn't like Zelo. He stll came in to class, even if all he did was sleep all day.

At lunch, I bought food for one, and went to mine and Zelo's spot to eat. I wasn't there long when someone tapped me on my shoulder, and covered my eyes from behind.

"Guess who?"

"Taerin," I smiled.

She sat down beside my, and took the apple that I wasn't touching.

"So, what happened to Zelo?" she asked nonchantly, "You guys always eat together," she pointed out.

"I don't know," I confessed, "I'm a bit worried about him, he isn't replying to my texts."

"Can I see?" she pointed at my Samsung 3.

"Sure," I gave it to her. She scrolled through it for a few seconds, and murmured something to herself, and repeated the action a few times. I looked at her curiously.

"Here," she said handing it back to me.

"Thanks. So how long have you been at this school?" I asked.

She looked back at me, "I'd say roughly . . . what? Um . . . five weeks," she guessed. "I didn't move far though, just from the girls school from up the top of the road. She pointed in some direction to the left of her.

We continued talking for all of lunch. She was really easy to talk to, and before I knew it, I was confessing to her about the bullying I had endured in England.

"They would pull my hair, still my things and I guess you could say I was a wangdda." I shuddered at the memories, "Nobody really talked to me, until my best friend Laura came along. It wasn't as bad after that. But, my biggest fear about moving to Korea was that nobody would talk to me here, but now I have you and Zelo," I smiled at the last part. Taerin seemed lost in thought. "Yah, are you even listening to me?" I asked, poking her.

"Of course I am, you babo!" she giggled. "Do you have a car?" she asked unexpectedly.

"Er, of course. But, it's broken, I don't have the money to fix it," I sighed.

"Jinjja?" she asked me. "I can get you a job where I work if you want? I work as a waitress. The hours are long, but the pay is really good. So what do you say? It'll only be from Saturday to Tuesday. That is if you're up for it." she asked, arching an eyebrow. "You can start today." she offered. "That is if you're up for it, go on, what's the worst that could happen? It'll be fun working together."

"Um. Sure why not?" I grinned. "It'll be fun," I tried to convince myself.

 

                                                                                                        *                 *               *

 

After school, I left the muffins in Zelo's locker, with a note:

Zelo, feel better soon! I baked these last night for you and the other Oppa's. Joyce :)

I just hoped he saw it before they went off.

I met Taerin at the gates, and we left for the busstop.

"It's a bit of a journey," she apologised. "Twenty minutes or so. But don't worry it's totally worth it." she winked.

Forty minutes later we finally arrived. Taerin dragged me behind her into the shabby looking building. I eyed it duciously. It didn't look safe. Taerin just sighed and grabbed my wrist, pulling me along. The building had a faded neglected appearance about it. It had a bright neon sign above it. The whole area smelled of cheap, greasy take aways. I put the hand that Taerin didn't have in her clutches, up against my nose, trying to block some of the overpowering smell.

Taerin took me through a side door and straight into her managers office. It was small, and there was no decoration at all. His desk was totally occupied by numerous sheets of papers.

"Boss, I have a new waitress for you." she said, shoving me in front of her. I stood awkwardly while he looked me up and down.

"Fine," he nodded after appraising me for a few moments. "You know where the extra uniforms are." He looked at Taerin, and I took that as our cue to leave. Taerin showed me where the changing rooms were and gave me my uniform. I was a little surprised seeing it. It was a very short black mini skirt and a red, low cut camisole.

"Put that on," Taerin said, throwing it to me. I put it on obediently. I felt over exposed. I longed to put on a huge hoodie to cover myself up somewhat. "You look so cute, much better than me." she said enviously. "C'mon, I'll show you what to do." She handed me a notbook and a little pen. "Because it's a nightclub, you just walk around, people will call you over, or go up to you and order their drinks. You just remember that, O.K? And men will try to hit on you, but you just ignore them and continue with your job, O.K?" she asked checking to make sure I got it all. I nodded. "O.K. Let's go then." she left the changing room.

"Joyce, fighting." I made a little fist pumping gesture and followed her out. The nightclub was packed. People were dancing and sitting at tables together. I started to walk around. This was my first time in a nightclub, or even a bar for that matter. 'Mr.Simple' started playing. I loved this song! Some people got up and started dancing. I kept walking around, looking for people to take an order from.

"Waitress!" a group of five men called over. I walked over to them quickly, my pen and notebook at the ready.

"What do you want?" I asked, pen to paper.

"Are you a new waitress here?" the one closest to me asked.

I nodded. "What do you want?" I repeated.

"Your phone number," he replied greasily. I shuddered in disgust.

"Sorry, lost my phone." I said sarcastically.

"Well, then. Keep me company for a while," he wrapped his arm around my waist and tried to pull me down. Except someone grabbed his forearm. It was Taerin.

"Don't touch her. Or else I'll have you thrown out." she threatened. "Now, what do you want, and keep it short and sweet."

 

The rest of the evening passed without another major incident. I think Taerin warned people to stay away from me. Finally, I arrived home at midnight. I smelled of alcohol and cigarettes. I took a shower and made a half hearted attempt at my home work, but fell asleep at the table before I could finish it. I woke up twenty minutes later and climed into my bed, but I had thoughts whizzing around my head. I would have to do the job all over again. But Taerin was right. The pay was worth it. I had earned 80,000 Won tonight. Cash-in-hand. I would probably be able to clean my apartment up well with the money I was earning, and fix my Micra properly. Except it would be a problem on the days I had to tutor B.A.P. Maybe I could change the days? Or maybe I could stop? But one thought about seeing them again, and I knew I couldn't stop. I suddenly felt red. What was wrong with me . . ?

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________