Games

The English Teacher

 

 

My eyes widened in shock. What did he just say? Joyce Lee? Me? I turned to stare at Nana, and she was staring just as blankly back at me. I felt Namsoo pinch my elbow, and I turned to look at him instead.

"Go on. They called you." He hissed at me. I was frozen. I didn't know what to do. How could I go up there after I had left without even saying a word to them? I didn't even want to put my name in there. It was just my stupid brother made me. He had gotten angry at Nana and I after we had hesitated to get our albums signed.

The MC called out the names again, and five girls dilligently got up and walked down the stairs towards the stage. I was stock-still and hoped that if I didn't get up that they would just decide to pick another contender. I shrunk down in my seat and ignored my brothers nagging beside me. 

"Is there a Joyce Lee here?" I heard the MC asking. "Joyce Lee?"

I shrunk down even further in my seat and hoped that they would just ignore me. My brother, however, had different plans. He stood up in his seat and the hundred plus girls in the tight space turned to look at him.

"I'm sorry, but we're looking for a girl." The MC said and the girls erupted in laughter. Namsoo ignored me pulling on his arm and asking him to sit down.

"My sister here is Joyce Lee." He told the MC good naturedly. "Joyce, get up on stage." He hissed at me out of the corner of his mouth and yanked my arm up. All the girls turned to stare enviously at me. Namsoo prodded my back and I took a hesitant step out of my aisle. I walked slowly down the stairs and I felt all the stares in the room on me. I looked at the stage nervously and I locked eyes with Daehyun. I blushed and averted my gaze again. I shuffled up the steps to the stage and stood beside the other lucky girls who were picked. I smiled at the one nearest to me and she gave me a small smile back.

"So, now we have our contenders. Girls, why don't you tell us something about yourselves?" The MC asked politely.

One by one, the girls bowed and gave out small snippets of information about themselves; where they lived, their ages, where they went to school. That kind of thing. Finally, it was my turn.

"Annyeonghaseo." I said and bowed at the crowd. "My name is Joyce Lee. I lived in England, but moved to Korea a short while ago. I was seventeen last month and I attend Jungsang High School."

"Jungsang?" The MC asked me, and I nodded at him. "That's the same school that Zelo goes to. Have you ever seen him there? Your ages are similar, so I think that I am corrrect in saying that you are in the same year."

"Yes, we are in the same school and year, but this is my first time meeting him." I lied and bit my lip. I saw Zelo give me a funny look, and he raised the mic to his mouth, but Youngjae lowered his hand.

 

 

We were all standing beside the person who had called out our names, and I was staring at my shoes. It felt strange standing beside Daehyun but not talking to him and pretending that I didn't know who he was. Thankfully, he played along with me.

The MC had asked the boys to do something special for their partners. Jongup and Zelo had danced for their girls and Yongguk had beatboxed. The MC was picking the members at random, and he seemed to decide that it was Daehyun's turn.

"Daehyun-sshi. Why don't you do something for your partner? She looks very scared beside you." He said, earning him laughter from the crowd. "Joyce-sshi, what would you like Daehyun to do?"

"Erm . . . " I said nervously. I didn't know what I was supposed to ask him to do.

"I was thinking that maybe I could sing to Joyce in English, if that is were she is from." Daehyun said, saving me.

"Joyce, are you okay with that?" The MC asked and I nodded quickly.

"Himchan hyung, Youngjae could you help me?" Daehyun asked them, and looked to the MC for confirmation. He shrugged, as if he wasn't really bothered about it as long as he got his paycheck at the end of the day. A staff member handed Himchan a guitar, and his fingers strummed the first few notes of the song. Youngjae faced the girl whom he was paired up with and held her hand. He sung to her in an angelic voice, and I could see the pink begin to creep up in her cheeks. After about a while, it was Daehyun's turn to sing. He turned to face me, and I brought myself to look him in the eyes for the first time that day. I didn't know if he knew it was me when I got the album signed or not. 

He was singing just as angelically as before, if not even more so. I felt embarassed looking him in the eye, but I just couldn't bring myself to look away. It was as if that I had missed him so much that I was getting as much exposure to him as possible before I had to leave again.

I wasn't sure whether or not he knew what the lyrics meant, since I wasn't exactly sure if 'Baby' by Justin Bieber was a big hit in Korea. If he did, it was rather rather sweet of him and kind of cute. If he didn't, it was still sweet but a little less so. His voice improved the song a lot in my opinion and especially when, after Himchan's rap part, they did a dorky dance. When the trio were finished, they bowed to the crowd and clapped their hands together. Daehyun gave the crowd one of his dazzling smiles and when he turned to face me, it was still plastered on his face - and remained there for a while.

"So, Joyce, being out expert in English, how did the boys do?" The MC asked me, and I could hear the chants of the fangirls saying 'daebak'.

"Um, I think they did very well." I said into the mic that the MC held out to me. The crowd cheered again and I blushed.

 

The MC counted the song that Daehyun, Himchan and Youngjae did as one whole fanservice between all of them, so he decided to move onto another game; the most awkward one he could find. He was handed peporro sticks and he distrubuted them among B.A.P members who took them shyly. I felt sorry for boht myself and Zelo, who had confessed to me once before that he hadn't had his first kiss yet. What if he had to have it with a fangirl? My heart went out to him. I stole a peek at Daehyun. This game would have been embarrassing even if we weren't in a room with a hundred on-lookers - including my brother - and even if we were still together.

It was Yongguk's turn first and they were going down in age order, so we would be the third, after Himchan. Yongguk put the stick in between his lips and the girl put the other side inbetween hers. They both started nibbling on it, their lips getting ever closer together. When they were about an inch apart, they both stopped. The crowd in a collective breath, waiting to see who would take the bite or who would back out. To my complete and utter shock, the girl took a massive bite and her lips touched Yongguk's for a brief moment, before she hurriedly moved away. The crowd squealed and cheered for her. I could see her blushing at her rash actions. She hid her face in her hands and Yongguk smiled coyly and handed the MC the small piece of peporro that was left to be measured. The MC took it and held it against the small metal ruler he had in his hands.

"Half a centimetre!" He told the crowd and there was an exlaims of 'oooh' everywhere. The girl blushed again and Yongguk gave her a reassuring smile.

Next it was Himchan's turn. They were both a bit more forward than the previous couple. The stick of meat was barely between their lips, and they were both chopping down on it eagerly. I thought that they wouldn't stop until the whole thing was gone, but just like Yongguk, Himchan stopped when they were an inch apart. It must be a gentlemanly thing to do, or else something that was required as idols. The girl didn't seem to realise though as she took another big bite and her lips touched Himchan's. She squealed and pulled back and gripped her lips. The crowd started to laugh at her reaction, and even I had to crack a smile.

Himchan handed the small piece still in his lips to the MC who measured it, just like he did with Yongguk's.

"One centimetre folks! Unfortunately Himchan-sshi and Sumi-sshi don't win. They are half a centimetre behind Yongguk-sshi and  Suah-sshi! Now, for Daehyun-sshi and Joyce-sshi."

I almost hit myself. I had forgotten we had to go together. My palms started sweating as Daehyun came closer to me, the stick already between his teeth. Tentatively, I took the other side between my teeth. I was staring straight into his eyes, so instead I closed my eyes. I took a small bite, and I heard Daehyun doing the same. I froze when I knew that our lips were close together. A fight was going on in my head. What did I do? Did I take the bite? What if I kissed him? I was having a panic attack while arguing with myself. It was made worse that my brother was here and that he would probably tease me about it.

"Eat it, eat it!" I heard the crowd chant and I opened half an eye. Daehyun was staring straight at me. He raised an eyebrow at me, and inclined his head towards me. His lips parted slightly and I knew that he was going to take the bite that would make our lips touch.

He inched his face forward and just before our lips touched, I heard a scuffle in the crowd.

"Not my Daehyun oppa!" I heard someone scream and something hit the side of my head.

I pulled away and touched my head gingerly. I saw a high heeled sneaker lying on the floor in front of me. Something wet was matting my hair together. I looked at my hand and it was covered in red shiny blood.

My breathing hitched and my eyes rolled back into my head as I fainted.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________