Oppa!

The English Teacher

 

 

Nearly two weeks have passed since Nana and I moved into our little apartment. At first, we were bombarded with phone calls from B.A.P. It was as if one was on duty and would ring every hour on the dot. Of course, neither of us picked up. It would have been fruitless to leave, if we were only going to go running back as soon as we were called.

 It was harder when we went back to school. Nana and I requested a transfer into another class, so that we would be separated from Zelo. We had conflicting time schedules, so we had lunch at different times, and we also got out fifteen minutes later. He usually hung around the gate, waiting for us, so, in the end, we began to stay at study or rush out into my car. As a result, my grades have drastically improved.

Ahjussi kept his promise, and he found us a job at a local café. It paid less than the wage I got for being B.A.P’s tutor, and the hours weren’t as good. But, what are the chances that I’ll ever find a job that I enjoyed as much as that? Zero to nil.

The café was called ‘Original’, and was halfway between my new apartment and the school, which was particularly handy for the days we had to avoid Zelo. Sometimes, Nana and I worked different hours, but for the most part, we had the same shifts. It was a nice place. It was up class, but no one I’d ever met there was ever rude or snobby. It had just the right balance.

 

      *                *               *

 

I was surfing through the T.V channels and munching on Dorito’s. I don’t know why I expected anything to be on. There were never any good programs on, but I was bored out of my mind. Nana was at work, and she wouldn’t be back for another, oh, hour or two? So, I had no one to talk to or anything. I was flicking through the channels for around thirty minutes when the doorbell rang. Before I even got the chance to get up to answer it, the door opened.

I frowned in confusion. Nana wasn’t supposed to be back now, and I had definitely locked the door. I freaked out, when a man backed into the room, dragging a bag. I let out a strangle scream, as the hunched over figure came further into the room. It was like a horror movie, when the hero or heroine comes face to face with the evil person. Tense, suspenseful music will start playing, and the lights in the scene will dim. The two characters will start fighting, and the main person will usually end up doing a heroic move, or some amazing fight skill that amazes the audience.

But, right now no freaky music was playing – since I didn’t count the theme tune to Boy’s over Flowers as scary -  I also didn’t have any karate skills hidden up my sleeve, so if it came to a fight or scuffle, I would easily be overpowered.

Oh, the struggles of being weak, I thought sarcastically.

I stood up, and picked up the remote that was beside me, and yielded it threateningly, and finally found my voice.

“I have a roommate. I suggest you leave now, I’m not afraid to hurt you.”

I’m just afraid that you’ll hurt me, I finished in my head.

The figure let out a low chuckle, and turned around.

“You’re going to hurt me, eh? With what? That remote? I thought I taught you better, Joy.” He shook his head in a mock manner.

“Oppa!” I let out a squeal and rushed forward and engulfed my brother in a hug.

“Did you miss me?” He asked, as he pulled me back at arm’s length, and pretended to inspect me.

“Of course I did!” I told him, and he ruffled up my hair.

“Good, I missed you too!”

“But, why are you here? And how comes you didn’t tell me?” I asked him, and arched one eyebrow.

“I wanted it to be a surprise, and besides, Lau- Nana and hyung-nim knew.”

He took off his shoes and walked into the living area, and looked around.

“Oh, so that’s why she wanted to clean the house!”

 

 

*                *                   *

 

 

The three of us, Nana, my brother, Namsoo and I, were sitting on the couch. She’d come back a while ago, and we were talking about his latest exploits – which, even considering it was my wayward brother, took a long time.

“So, Namsoo oppa, is there anywhere you want to go while you’re in Seoul?” Nana asked him. She’d been calling him ‘oppa’ for a long time, ever since I can remember.

“Well, I heard BigBang are having a concert in Seoul in a week. I want to go there.” He told her, and picked up a fist full of Dorito’s.

“We don’t have tickets. They were all sold out within an hour of them going on sale.” I told him sadly. I really wanted to go to BigBang’s concert, but fate wasn’t on my side, as I had opted to try out for the best seats, and I had missed them by one second.

“Oh, jinjja? Well then, it’s a good thing that I have some then, isn’t it?” He asked.

I raised my head hopefully, at the same time Nana did.

“Jinjja?”

“Yup, the best seats too. Well, they’re better than a lot of the others, anyways.” He said.

“Oppa, saranghae!” We both cried together, and squashed him in a group hug.

“Ahh, get off of me!” He pushed us off, and I let out my first proper giggle since I had left B.A.P.

 

“Oh, daebak!” Nana whispered as she played with her phone.

“Wae?” I asked and poked the back of head. The toaster dinged, and I buttered the toast mindlessly. I grabbed my cup of tea and sat down beside her at the table.

“Look.” She passed her phone over to me. A video was loaded on youtube, and I hit play.

An eerie scene greeted us. I recognised Yongguk. This was obviously their new music video. I was riveted to the video, and the slight changes in their appearances shocked me.

All of them apart from Youngjae had died their hair, and they all looked good – especially Daehyun. They had tattoos on their body, and they really embodied the whole ‘bad boy’ concept really well. Just like ‘Warrior’, this was another song about the unjustness of life. I had to admit, they were pretty amazing!

“Oh, what’s that?” Namsoo asked when he walked into the kitchen. I handed the phone over to him wordlessly, and just like me, he was captivated under B.A.P’s spell.

“Wow, that was pretty amazing. Who are they?”

“B.A.P.” Nana told him, and I continued eating my cereal.

“B.A.P . . . B.A.P . . .” He muttered, and then something finally clicked in that slow brain of his. “Oh, they’re the supporting act for BigBang! I never knew they were so amazing!” He snapped his fingers together, as I choked on my cereal.

“W-what?” I asked when I had recovered and Nana stopped patting my back.

“They’re the guys that BigBang are performing with.” He said slowly, as if I didn’t understand simple Korean. I rolled my eyes at him.

“What the hell do you mean? They’re going to be at the concert?” I shrieked.

“Neh, wae? You like them?” He asked excitedly. “Who’s your bias then?”

Ah, Namsoo. As eager for gossip and news as ever.

“ Daehyun.”

“Zelo.”

Nana and I said in unison. I gave her a funny look, and she shrugged half-heartedly.

“Zelo is the tall one, who rap’s really fast and Daehyun is the guy who sings all the high pitched stuff, right?” He asked, and I nodded a silent confirmation.

“Good choice, little sisters. Oppa approves!” He gave us both a thumbs up.

“Eww, oppa, don’t talk in the third person, you know that it creeps me out!” Nana complained.

“Whatever!” He stuck his tingue out at her and danced around the kitchen like a little kid. I hung my head down, and banged it softly on the table a few times.

Eotteoke? How was I supposed to go and see this concert with B.A.P in it? I couldn’t face them, and if I did, I’m sure my heart would rip in two from seeing Daehyun. It was bad enough watching the video, never mind seeing him in real life! And what was with Nana’s answer? I always thought that she never had a bias in B.A.P.

Why has life been so complicated for me lately?

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________