Perfect Gift

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

Kai had walked around the five shopping malls after school, and had spent nearly three hours yet he could not seem to find the right thing. Specifically, the right gift for Lyorin. In a week, it would be her birthday, the first ever birthday EXO guys would be celebrating with her. Throughout the week, the guys acted like they were not aware but they had already planned a really special celebration for her. The rest of s seemed to have prepared their own set of gifts for her. Even Sehun, the youngest who usually at surprises, was already planning to surprise Lyorin with a gift.

He had been walking and searching for the perfect gift but nothing caught his attention. He began to panic knowing that he only had less than a week to find one. He walked out of the last shopping mall empty handed. With a heavy sigh, he strolled along the street casually whistling while thinking hard of the gift for Lyorin. Just then, he noticed a small shop located at the corner of the street. He went closer and realised that it was a shop selling handcrafted goods as well as raw materials, perfect for handmade gifts. He walked in and greeted the Ahjumma who was carefully putting on the glue to the wooden box.

“Annyeong haseyo.” Kai greeted the Ahjumma who stopped her work and looked up at him.

“Hello, come in son.” The shop lady stood up and gestured for Kai to come in. “You’re such a handsome young boy. What can I do for you?”

Kai smiled sheepishly at the compliment he received. “Thank you Ahjumma. I’m here to look for a nice birthday gift.”

“For a girl?” She asked.

Kai stopped short for a while and cleared his throat before replying. “Yes, for a girl.”

Immediately the shop lady walked behind the counter and took out a box. “Girls like handmade gifts. Are you good at hand-crafting?”

Kai tilted his head and scratched the back of his neck. “Hmm.. Not so.” He answered shyly.

“It’s okay. This is easy but it requires a whole lot of patience. Come here, son.” The lady motioned for Kai to come nearer so she could show him the gift. Kai came closer and peeked inside the box. He was surprised because inside the box contained colourful beads and all the glittery materials. These things were definitely not the kind of things he meddled with. The lady then took out a nice thin long string and began teaching him slowly on how to use the materials. Kai concentrated and listened intently and even tried his hands on it. There were many times he pricked his fingers accidentally because of the needles yet he didn’t give up and continue. He spent nearly an hour trying out and finally getting the hang of it. The lady was impressed. “Wow, you’re very good at this.”

“Thank you but I still have more to learn.” Kai answered with a smile.

The lady then gave him the box. “Here, you can have this. This box contains all the materials you need to come up with the perfect gift.”

Kai was about to take out his wallet and pay but the lady rejected his money. “Ahjumma, please tell me how much this costs. I cannot take this for free.” Kai explained.

“Son, this box is not for sale.” The shop lady said. Kai looked at her with a confused look. “This box belongs to my late husband. He loved handicrafts and spent his time making all these.” The lady showed Kai the interior of the shop which was full of beautiful art pieces. Kai didn’t get the chance to look at the shop thoroughly when he first entered but now he was amazed at the beautiful sight. “I didn’t like art and I’m not good at it. He taught me many times but I failed miserably.” She continued with a laugh as she recalled the fond memories she had with her late husband. “Now that he’s gone, I realised how much I miss seeing his new art pieces that never failed to impress me, our constant bickering due to our clash in interests and his satisfaction smile whenever he completed his works. Most importantly, I miss him. Son, I had never appreciated art but with his passing, I realised how much art can not only beautify the world, it can also give smile to anyone. And –“ She took Kai’s hand in hers and continued, “I saw that smile in you just now. So, I’m giving you this box because you are the first person who struggled and failed but had never once gave up in trying. You persevered despite the pain.” She looked at his bruised fingers. “Take this as a gift from me. I believe the girl is not someone like me. I believe she will appreciate the gift more than anything. Trust me.” She handed him the box.

Kai was reluctant to accept the box especially when he knew how much of a treasure it is. However, the lady insisted. “Thank you, Eo-eomeoni. Is it okay for me to call you –“

Without letting him finished his sentence, the shop lady embraced him. “Yes, son.” The lady dropped a tear as she embraced Kai like her son. She had always wanted a son. When Kai called her ‘mother’, her emotions got the better of her. Kai hugged the old lady and tried as he might not to cry but tears began to flow as well. He missed having a mother.

“Thank you, Eomeoni. I will try my hardest and will make sure I use the items in this box to good use. I promise to visit you and show you all the art pieces that I have completed.” Kai said.

“You don’t have to, son. Just a thing, beside patience you need to follow your heart as well. It can create the brightest art even with the simplest materials.” She gently reminded before saying goodbyes. Kai left the shop with a lighter feeling. He held on to the box tightly, and vowed to give Lyorin the perfect gift.

 

******

Mr Lee paced back and forth the study room in his mansion. He was feeling anxious and his mind was not at ease. He knew of Lyorin’s birthday in two days’ time and with each year passing, he felt the need to tell her everything once and for all. He had kept the secret way too long. He needed to tell her yet he didn’t want to risk hurting her.

He walked over to his desk, took his glasses and put it on and then proceeded towards the ceiling high bookshelves. He searched for the right one out of the many shelves and looked for the book. After finding the location of the book, he took it in his hands and blew the dust off it. It had been so long since he touched the book. It amazed him that he actually remembered where the book was at among the thousands of books in his study room. Carefully, he opened the book and there it was, a key hidden in between the pages.

He took the key and grasped it tightly with his right palm, while he closed the book with his other. With the key in his hand, he made way out of the library and in to his room. He searched for the box underneath his bed. With the box and key in his hand, he sat on the bed still deciding whether it was finally the time to reveal it Lyorin. He slid the key in to the lock attached on the box and turned it. With a screeching sound, the box was unlid.

 

******

9th January 1995

The storm didn’t look like it was going to end anytime soon. With lighting and thunders blasting the night, Mr Lee could only be indoors, watching the TV. Out of sudden, loud banging sounds were heard across the living hall. It seemed like someone was knocking on the front door. He wondered who would have come in the wee hours of a stormy night. He wasn’t expecting any guests. Quickly, the servants answered the door.

“Mr Lee! Mr Lee!” A yelling voice of a man echoed the house once the servant let the unexpected guest in.

Mr Lee stood up and watched Junho coming in all drenched from the rain. What surprised him even more was, Junho was carrying a baby in his arms. The baby was crying and immediately, Mr Lee ordered the servants to take the baby and make sure they kept her warm. With shivering arms, Junho handed the baby girl to the servants and let them tend to her.

Mr Lee grabbed a towel from a servant and passed it to Junho who quickly wiped his hair and face. Still shivering from the cold, he finally spoke, “Ji-jin Ah, sh-she’s dea-dead.”
 

Mr Lee’s knees went weak upon hearing the news that he had to take a seat to steady himself. “What happened?”

“I don’t know who killed her.”

“What do you mean by you don’t know? Junho, you’re a chosen one with powers and –“

“The killers have powers as well.” Junho interrupted. Mr Lee was further shocked. “Mr Lee, I’m afraid there are more than just us.”

“You mean?”

“I don’t know who they are but they are definitely not from the BTOB clan or even BAP.” Junho replied, more calm than when he first barged in to the house. 

“Huh? Not even the BAP? Junho ah, you’re aware that Jin Ah was…. You very well know the consequences of the two of you being together.” Mr Lee explained.

“Mr Lee, you can listen to this tape. Jin Ah managed to capture the voices of her killers –“ Junho hissed at the mentioning of killers but he still continued, “You could hear what them speaking.” Junho took out a cassette hidden inside his jacket and handed it over to him.

Mr Lee scrutinised the object before looking up at him and asked, “How was she killed?”

“Brutally.” Junho answered with a tone full of vengeance.

Just by his one word answer, Mr Lee dropped all the accusations he previously had against BAP and believed in Junho. “What are you going to do now? We need to gather the rest of EXO’s chosen ones and inform them about this.”

“Mr Lee, it’s best if I do this on my own. Plus, I don’t think the rest of the chosen ones regard me as a part of them anymore.” Junho stood up while saying.

“Junho, you can’t do this alone. You don’t know who you are messing with.” Mr Lee advised as he stood up as well.

“Mr Lee, my wife was killed and I can’t just sit around. Besides, you know who Jin Ah was right? Like you said, I’ve dragged myself in this and I am well aware of the consequences. Thus, I’m willing to face this on my own. However, Mr Lee I have only one request from you, as for now.” Junho looked at Mr Lee with pleading eyes.

“What is it Junho?”

“Please take care of the baby girl. Please look after her and let her grow healthily and beautifully. Promise you will do that?” Junho begged.

“Whose baby is she?” Mr Lee asked curiously.

“Mr Lee, please promise me you’ll take care of her?” Junho pleaded once more.

Mr Lee stared at the young man and could sense the desperation in his voice. “Okay, I promise I will take care of her just like my own daughter.” Junho felt a huge relief after he heard the assurance from Mr Lee. He thanked him and was about to leave the house when Mr Lee stopped him. “Junho, you haven’t told me who the girl is?”

Just when he reached the door, Junho turned around and faced Mr Lee. “Her name is Kim Lyorin and she is my daughter.” He answered with a smile before sprinting out of the house under the rain. Mr Lee watched the figure disappeared amidst the forest, in to the darkness.

 

To be continued...