Lovely night with.....

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

Kai noticed Lyorin sudden mood changed after coming out of the study room. During dinner, he had been observing her forcing herself to eat. Whenever anyone asked if she was okay, she put on an obvious fake smile. Everyone was lazing around after dinner, when Kai saw Lyorin quietly sneaked into the kitchen. He assumed that she probably wanted to talk to Mrs Lee, but then a few minutes later, he saw her creeping out of the mansion via the back door. He wondered where she was going.

Moving away from the living room, Kai walked towards the door and went outside. He followed Lyorin closely behind, trying to stay as quiet as possible. She walked all the way till the side of the lake and then sat on the ground. Kai hid behind a tree and watched her from there.

 

 

"Father, mother...." Lyorin's voice trembled as she tried to control herself from crying. She pulled her knees up together and buried her face down.  All she ever wanted was to know about her parents. Now that she knew about them, it was all too late. She looked up and stared blankly at the view of the lake.

 

Kai couldn't bear it and teleported just right in front of her. When he appeared before her eyes, his heart turned soft seeing her sad expression. She didn't react like how she used to whenever he suddenly appeared. Before, she would always jumped in surprise or gasped in shock but that night, she was emotionless. Her eyes were dead. Her face showed only sorrow.

 

"What are you doing here?" Lyorin asked monotonously.

"Are you okay?" Kai asked in concern.

"Yeah." She answered. She put away the photo and looked away from him. She didn't feel like talking.

Kai walked towards her and sat beside. Lyorin became tense suddenly at how close he was sitting.

"If you feel like crying, just cry. Don't bottle up your feelings." He looked at her but she remained silent. "I know it's difficult for you. Whatever it is, just stay strong. Your parents must have their reasons to leave. Sometimes, leaving is better than staying." He comforted. He then heard sniff sounds and knew right away she was crying. It hurts to see her cry, but it was better to let out her feelings.

Lyorin poured out after composing herself, "Even though I've never seen them and will never ever, they're still my parents. I've always felt like they were there around me."

"They were there, Lyorin. They were there." Kai muttered inaudibly.

The night was getting late and chilly. Lyorin didn't want to go back in. She wanted to stay the night out and enjoy the serenity of it. Kai who noticed that Lyorin was just wearing a t-shirt, took of his jacket and put it on her. Lyorin was taken aback by his action.

"Thanks." She spoke softly.

After a long silence, Kai finally asked,"Do you want to go back in?"

"No. I like it here."

"Okay wait. I'll go tell Mrs Lee." Kai said. He disappeared in a flash and left Lyorin alone. She smiled to herself and thought how Kai actually did make her feel a lot better. Within a minute, he re-appeared with a book and a jacket. "Nah, just in case you feel bored and cold."

"You want me to read a book? Here?" Lyorin amused at his weirdness. Kai remained quiet. She felt bad for teasing, "I'm sorry. Anyway, thanks." She took the book from him.

"At least you're smiling now." He said.

Both of them sat without talking, absorbing the calm atmosphere. In silence, Lyorin stole quick glances at Kai's side profile. He's really good looking with well defined features and slightly tanned skin. There was something about him that was attractive. He rarely smiles, at least not to her. But she was fine with it, knowing that he probably might be having a hard time getting used to her presence. 

"The lake is beautiful," she spoke, breaking the quiet atmosphere.

"Yeah it is. It gives off the calm feeling. Whenever I feel down, I will come here and just enjoy. It's fascinating how still the water is." Kai agreed.

"So, you guys grew up here?" Lyorin was curious.

"Yes, Mr Lee took us in when our powers were discovered. This is where we sort of trained."

"Is that a tree house?" Lyorin pointed out a small looking woodhouse located a few metres off the ground.

"Hmm, that's a tree house. It has been there for more than 15 years. It's a place where we usually hang out. Would you like to climb up and see?"

"Can I?" She asked. Kai nodded and got up on his feet. She got up as well and walked towards the tree. There was a ladder pressing against the tall tree. Kai tested whether it was stable enough for climbing. Confirmed that it was still good, he gestured Lyorin to climb, reminding her to be careful with her steps. Kai was watching her from the ground, making sure she didn't miss a step and fall. Once up, the place looked messy probably because it has been abandoned ever since the guys left. Kai appeared beside her and walked around examining the place. Lyorin walked over to the wooden window and pushed it open. "Wow!" The lake was even more beautiful viewing from a high spot.

After scrutinizing the shabby place, they then settled down on the small open space, overlooking the lake. It was past midnight. Sleepiness was starting to kick in for Lyorin. She yawned and rubbed her eyes.

"Sleepy already?" Kai asked.

"Huh..no." She lied.

"We used to hang out here at the tree house. We would stay till late at night and Mrs Lee would know where to find us if we went missing. We did fishing as well by the lake." Kai reminisced the past.

"Sounds fun." Lyorin mumbled softly. Compared to her childhood years, EXO guys had it a lot better.

Sensing a change in her tone, Kai spoke, "We can do all those stuffs together if you want."

"Really? Cool!" Lyorin got excited instantly.

 

Soon, both of them lied on their backs and gazed the night sky full of stars. Lyorin felt that Kai had finally opened up to her. She was glad that he did. That night, Kai had spoken to her the most out of all the days they had been together. Even though they didn't talk much while resting now, the silence was just perfect. He surprisingly made her feel at ease. As the night went deeper, her eyes began to droop slowly.

 

Kai needed to be beside Lyorin to make sure she was okay. Seeing that she was fine, his worries were put to an end. He wanted to treat her nicely, talk to her, be with her and look out for her. But he was just too afraid. He looked to the right and noticed something written on the wood panel. He stared hard and read the words, "Kai <3 Sori. Sori <3 Kai 14 February 2010." A painful image came to mind as he remembered carving the words with Sori last 2 years. It has been 2 years. He turned his head to the other side and saw Lyorin already asleep. He looked at her peaceful and serene face. She was gorgeous; her calm eyes that were shut, sharp nose and thin lips. She was undeniably beautiful but what made her special is the fact that she still loved her parents despite knowing that they had left her. If only she knew the truth, whispered his heart. Kai put on a jacket over her to make sure she would not catch a cold. He then turned his attention back on the carvings. He took a sharp tool and scratched the words off. As he scratched, his mind assured, "Everything was in the past Kai."

 

To be continued...