Separation

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

Lyorin stirred under the warm blanket and opened her eyes slowly. She yawned and stretched herself. Despite the sleep, she was still tired from last night event. Yes, she remembered. Quickly, she jolted up but then she heard soft snores. She turned to her right and as expected, she saw Kai dozing. He was sitting in an uncomfortable position and Lyorin wondered how long had he been sleeping. She watched him for a while before getting up with her blanket in her hands. As careful as possible, she draped the blanket over him. Her room was cold and Kai was wearing a thin shirt with jeans. The exact same clothes he wore yesterday, just without a jacket.

As she covered the blanket over him, Kai opened his eyes due to the sudden movement. Lyorin startled by his response, took a step backwards. “Oh I’m sorry. Did I wake you?” She muttered softly.

Kai immediately stood up and scratched his head. He didn’t know why, but he was slightly flustered by Lyorin seeing him in his sleeping state. But then again, why was he embarrassed? It wasn’t like he had never slept in her room.  “It’s okay. How are you feeling?” He asked, staring at her face intently.

“I’m feeling better. Thanks for –“ Lyorin pouted and scratched her head shyly. She didn’t remember walking to bed or even to her room. So, she guessed that Kai must have brought her to her room. The thought of that was enough to turn her red.

Kai seemed to have understood, “It was Tao hyung.” He answered as nonchalantly as possible.

“Oh?” Lyorin was slightly surprised. “What time is it now? I’m going to check on Aunt.” She asked, diverting the conversation to something less awkward.

“It’s only 11 in the morning. Aunt has been treated so you don’t have to rush to see her. She’s doing well. Get something to eat first okay?” Kai reminded.

Lyorin’s heart skipped a beat. Even though it was something trivial, the fact that Kai showed a little concern for her was making her inside jumped in joy. That was the first time he ever cared for her. Maybe he did show it previously, but at that time Lyorin was not at all bothered by whatever he felt and thought of her. However, as days and weeks passed, she became more attentive towards Kai.

“Yes, I will. I’m going to wash up and head downstairs.” Lyorin replied. Kai nodded and was making a move but Lyorin grabbed his arm. “Kai, get some rest. You look tired and pale.” She smiled.

Kai gave her a nod and left the room. Once the door to her room was shut and he stood outside, Kai smiled and mumbled, “So you do care for me, huh?”

 

Lyorin showered and slipped on a comfortable pullover with a pair of shorts. She made her way to see Aunt in her room located on the first floor beside the kitchen. When she was walking down the flight of stairs, she saw D.O and Suho laying plates on the dining table.

“Ah Lyorin, you’re awake. Join in for lunch.” D.O called out.

Food was the last thing in her mind. She wanted to see Aunt and make sure she was well. She shook her head and changed her route towards her room but Tao blocked her path. “Where are you going? Dining table is over there.” Tao said, pointing a finger towards where Suho and the rest of the boys were at.

“I’m not hungry.” She said but Tao ignored and pulled her towards the dining table.

Lyorin looked at the food prepared. To be honest, she wasn’t at all hungry. Then she looked around and saw Kai wasn’t there. “Where’s Kai?” She pulled out a seat and sat.

“He’s sleeping.” Lay answered, while walking down the stairs.

“Really? That’s strange. Kai rarely sleeps day time no matter how tired he is.” Chen commented before taking sip off his coffee.

Lyorin overheard their conversation and then remembered Kai’s words. She had asked him to rest, and he gladly did. Kai asked her to eat, and it was only fair that she listened to him. Now, she was more than willing to eat the food that was already prepared. Instantly, she grabbed the sandwich and took a big bite. She chewed quickly and took another big bite.

Tao who was sitting beside Lyorin, watched her eat. “Lyorin ah, eat slowly.” He chuckled.

Lyorin faced him still with full. “Woppa, phank teu por yesteryay. (Oppa , thank you for yesterday)” She said while chewing.

Baekhyun scolded, “Lyorin, don’t talk when your mouth is full.”

She cleared the food in and spoke only to Tao. “Tao oppa, thank you.”

Tao responded, “It’s nothing.”

Lyorin smiled and continued eating the sandwich. Suddenly, she heard a familiar male voice. She turned her head and saw Mr Lee approaching the dining table. “Mr Lee?” She called.

“Oh hey there Lyorin, you’re awake.” He smiled and took a seat opposite the two leaders.

“When did you arrive?” She questioned.

“About two hours ago. Lyorin ah, I need to talk to you, regarding Aunt Marie.” He said, while taking the cup of coffee from Kris. “Thanks Kris.”

Lyorin immediately stopped eating and concentrated on him. “What is it?”

“Aunt Marie can’t stay here anymore, at least not at the moment.” He said. Lyorin’s expression went solemn. Actually she kind of expected it but not having Aunt around was definitely upsetting. They had always been together. “I’m sorry –“ Mr Lee apologised after seeing the change in her expression.

“Don’t apologise, Mr Lee. I understand. It’s for her safety and I don’t mind that she has to leave.” She flashed a smile.

“Thank you for your understanding. Actually, she will be staying over in my place and she’ll be leaving by today.” Mr Lee stated.

Her stomach flinched knowing that Aunt would leave her on that very same day. It was too soon. “By today?” She placed her unfinished sandwich down and stood up. “I’m going to see her.” She muttered and left the room.

After she left the room, Mr Lee ordered the boys to be extra cautious. He was clueless as to why BAP attacked Aunt last night. It could be a mistake or maybe they really had bad intention. Either way, Mr Lee wasn’t going to risk it. As much as he wanted to deny that BAP were the bad guys, he still had to make sure Lyorin was safe.

Meanwhile, Lyorin tapped lightly on the door to Aunt’s room. She opened it slowly and saw Aunt already in a sitting position. Her heart had never felt any more at ease. Last night, Aunt was nothing but bruised and tattered, but today she looked a whole lot better. Indeed, Lay’s powers were the best. She entered the room.

“Aunt, you’re okay?” Lyorin asked while taking a spot beside her on the bed.

“Yes, I’m fine.” She whispered with a smile. “Did I worry you? I’m sorry, my dear.” She said and gave Lyorin a hug. Both of them kept silent and enjoyed the embrace. Aunt slowly pulled away and stared in Lyorin’s eyes, “I’ve heard from Mr Lee; I’m not going to leave you.”

Lyorin shook her head. “No, Aunt. You have to. I can’t afford to see you get attacked and injured anymore.”

“Lyorin, I can’t leave you.” She sobbed.

Gently, Lyorin her cheeks and spoke, “Aunt, don’t cry. You’re not going to leave me. Think of it as a holiday for you. We’ll see each other again.” She said it as calm as possible, with a heavy heart. “Right now, it’s not safe for you to be here.” She continued.

“Then, what about you?”

“Me? I have EXO, don’t worry.” Lyorin answered but Aunt gave a sceptical look. “What? I thought you were the one who wants this; living with EXO guys, getting along with them, trusting them and be like a family.”

“But –“

“Jeez Aunt, who’s the stubborn one now? No but, you’re going to have the nicest vacation. Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine.” Lyorin , turning the atmosphere back to normal.

 

Lyorin spent the next few hours being with Aunt, packing her things, talking and teasing like old times. Without doubt, Aunt Marie was the only person who could understand and tolerate her. She took care of her single-handedly, from infant up till now. Lyorin kept asking Aunt to find someone to spend the rest of her life with but she refused, telling her that having Lyorin by her side was enough. Now, for the first time, they had to be separated. Even though it was going to be temporary, the fact that they would not be living under the same roof was depressing. However, both of them didn’t show it. They were smiling and laughing normally.

 

Mr Lee was sitting in the living room waiting for Aunt to finish packing. He was holding a small box in front of him, deciding whether it was the time to hand it to Lyorin. It contained the cassette tape. He wanted to let her listen, but it’s too painful. Her mother’s last words were in it and Mr Lee thought that it was only right to let Lyorin know what happened to her mother. He was afraid it might be too hard for Lyorin to accept, especially after what happened last night. Just then, he saw Lyorin coming out of the room with Aunt Marie. Swiftly, Mr Lee hid the box and placed it inside his bag. With a heavy sigh he thought, “Once again, I have to delay it.”

 Chanyeol and Luhan took the bags from Aunt Marie and carried to the car. Aunt was to stay with Mr Lee’s family until further notice. It could be weeks or months or even years. Lyorin was already prepared. Living with her could only mean danger and thus, even if she didn’t want, she had to let Aunt go.

Aunt walked slowly as her injuries weren’t fully healed. She walked towards the porch where the car was already there for her. She thanked the EXO guys and reminded them to take care. Before she bid her final goodbye, she turned to the two leaders and said, “Kris and Suho, I would like to thank you for everything you’ve done for me and for Lyorin.” Then, she faced entirely the EXO guys and spoke, “Lyorin loves Oreo cookies, so please have it all the time. She likes her eggs to be half cooked with the yolk slightly runny. Also, please remember to let her have the usual glass of milk before bed. Oh and I’ve kept all the medicines she might need at the drawer beside the refrigerator. Please switch off the air-con in her room when it gets too cold because she tends to sleep in it. Hmm, what else?” She pondered a while before continued, “Please take care of her. No matter how stubborn, rude or childish she is, please don’t turn your back at her. Let her have her ways.” Aunt held her tears that were about to fall and put her arm around Lyorin. “I’m counting on you guys. She’s only the one I have.”

Lyorin remained silent all throughout and let Aunt talked about her. She promised not to cry and be strong at least on the outside.

Kris stepped forward, “We will do as told, and you have my word.” He turned to Lyorin who was looking down. He lifted her chin so that he could see her pretty face. “Lyorin, go on and say your goodbyes to Aunt. She’s leaving now.”

Lyorin nodded. Immediately she hugged her Aunt tightly and whispered in her ear, “Aunt, I’m going to miss you. Please take care of yourself. Don’t worry about me okay? I love you, Aunt. I love you so much.”

“I love you too.” Aunt replied softly, while kissing her forehead.

With that, Aunt walked towards the car where Mr Lee was already at the driver seat. She waved for the last time before going in. Instantly, the engine roared and the car drove out the porch and out of sight. Lyorin stood firmly, watching the car went off until it disappeared among the tall trees. She swallowed the pain away. However, a tear dropped unexpectedly and she quietly brushed it away.

Sehun gave her a hug. “It’s okay. Don’t be sad. You still have us.” He assured.

D.O came and held her shoulders, “Lyorin, what do you want to eat for dinner? Oppa will cook it for you.” He smiled and looked at her affectionately.

However, Lyorin’s eyes were nothing but sadness. “Anything will do. I’m not really hungry.” She replied softly. “I’ll be in my room.” She mumbled and walked away.

Suho sighed and watched her leave. “Guys, give her some time to be alone.” He told the rest.

Chanyeol slung his arm around D.O and said, “D.O, I want spaghetti with meatballs, cheese fries, and hotdogs in bread with mustard –“

D.O gave him a light punch in the stomach, “COOK YOURSELF!”

“Hey, I thought you’re the resident chef now!” Chanyeol responded, only to receive a glare from D.O. Without hesitation, D.O walked up to him and gave him a painful headlock. “OW!!” Chanyeol cried.  D.O might be smaller in size, but he was a lot stronger than Chanyeol. “I’M SORRY!” Chanyeol cried further when D.O put more force in his grip. Satisfied, D.O released him and laughed out loud. Chanyeol looked at him in disbelief while rubbing his sore neck. “YAH! I’m older than you!” Chanyeol yelled angrily.

“Only by a few months. You’re older, but I’m stronger.” D.O snickered and walked away.

 

To be continued...

 

 


So, Aunt is no longer staying with her. WOOOOOOO LIVING WITH 12 BOYS,

YAY or NAY? hmmmmm