The Boys

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

You looked at your watch for the time, 11.40pm. You had been walking aimlessly for the past hour, soothing your thoughts. It was a chilly night, as you hugged your body tighter. You didn’t want to go back to the house. You didn’t want to see any of the EXO boys. You were glad they didn’t stop you from leaving. Now that you’re outside alone, you didn’t know what to do. Suddenly, you remembered last night telephone conversation with Yoona.

“Hey Lyorin, I’m going to the airport tomorrow morning. My parents are going for their second honeymoon trip. HAHA! So, I won’t be able to meet you for our usual breakfast date.”

 

********************************

After finalising the destination, you walked towards it. As you walked, the cold air brushed against your face, sending shivers down the spine. It was turning unusually cold and eerie. You looked up, out of a sudden towards the roof top of the high building opposite the street you were at. You felt someone was watching. As usual, it was just your senses. There was no one; nothing. You then looked ahead towards the house. Your steps quicken and eventually you were just right in front of the door.

You hoped she was still awake. Judging by the lights that were still on, you were relieved. You pressed the door bell once, and then twice, until you heard footsteps. The door creaked open slowly, with the lock chains still hooked. “Hi Yoona,” you called.

Startled by your presence, Yoona stuttered, “Ly-lyorin, is that you?”

“How much would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood? He would chuck , he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much as a woodchuck would, if a woodchuck could chuck wood!” You started a tongue twister. You had this special talent of saying any tongue twister and you were pretty sure Yoona was aware of that. “You still don’t believe?” You asked, after seeing that Yoona was still a little hesitant. “Fine! Peter Piper picked a peck – “

“LYORIN!” Before you could end your sentence, Yoona unlatched the chain and pushed the door open. She pulled you in a tight hug, squealing in excitement. “Yah! Why are you here? What are you doing outside? It’s so late!” She lectured but still led you into the house.

“I fought with them.” You answered.

Yoona looked at you curiously, “You fought with the guys; the ones in your house?” You nodded innocently. “And they didn’t prevent you from leaving?! It’s already so late!” She was more concerned of your safety more than the little misunderstanding you had. She didn’t like you roaming alone. It was unsafe. Even Yoona knew that.

“I would be more pissed if they had stopped me.” You answered without guilt.

Yoona playfully slapped your cheek, “Seriously, I cannot with your stubbornness.”

 

You changed yourself into Yoona’s comfortable clothes. Both of you were of the same size, so you didn’t have much problem fitting into hers. Furthermore, you had stayed over her place many times before and you kind of missed those times. Yoona wanted to whip something for you, but you refused, telling her that you weren’t hungry.

Both of you settled in her room. Thankfully, Yoona’s parents were away, so the house was just you and her. Yoona was on her computer while you flipped through the magazine. You then walked towards the shelves that were filled with trophies. Yoona was a skilful dancer. She was the best ballerina in school and had won many competitions. You envied her grace and elegance.

“Yoona, when is your next dance competition?” You asked, breaking the silence between the both of you.

Yoona looked away from her computer, “It’s in a month’s time. I’m so stressed!” Her eyebrows creased to a frown and bit her lips nervously.

“Come on, Yoona. We all know you can do it.” You tried to lighten her nerves.

Yoona switched off the computer and settled on the queen size bed she had. “This is different. This competition is not like any of the competition I’ve been. Well renowned ballet tutors would be there as judges. Furthermore, rumour has it that, some of them might actually be offering dance scholarships to the prestigious Seoul Arts College!” She beamed in delight at the mention of the dream college Yoona yearned to attend after high school.

“Oh my God, seriously? That’s awesome! That’s like your dream college right?” You squealed, happy for your friend. “Yoona, trust me. Just be yourself and I’m pretty sure you can win the hearts of the judges. Believe in yourself okay? There is nothing you can’t achieve if you think positively.” You gave her a short encouragement hoping it will help her pull through.

“Thanks, Lyorin! I guess I just have to practise harder these last few weeks.”

“Hwaiting!” Both of you shouted in unison.

It was already nearly 1am, but none of you were sleepy. You were painting your own toe nails while Yoona was fiddling with your hair, trying as many hairstyles she could possibly think of. Both of you were randomly chatting and catching up with all that had happened during the holidays; that were left with only a week. Just when you were done with your toe nails, Yoona asked a sudden question.

“Lyorin, what happened at home? Why did you guys fight?” She asked while lightly combing your hair.

With a heavy sigh, you answered, “Actually, there wasn’t really a fight. I just wanted to get away from them, for awhile.”

“Why? Okay, tell me about them.” Yoona turned your shoulder, so that both of you were facing each other. The look in her eyes showed her eagerness to know about EXO. You thought, maybe it was the right time to reveal a little about them to her. You can’t afford to keep the secret forever, plus you trusted Yoona.

You picked up a pillow and hugged it. Yoona did the same and get herself comfortable while listening to you. “Where should I start? Oh well, there are basically 12 of them. I told this before right? They aren’t really related. How do I put it? Hmm, okay they belong to the same clan.”

“Clan?” Yoona pondered.

“Yup, the EXO clan they called it. It’s like a huge family that existed decades ago. Don’t ask me how this clan was formed but their great-great grandparents, got together and formed it.” You tried to explain slowly, omitting the unnecessary part that was not supposed to be revealed. Thankfully, Yoona was an understanding person. She wasn’t one that would meddle in other people’s affairs.

You continued, “My family is part of this clan. They have their own families but they aren’t living with them anymore. They don’t even know where they are right now. These guys were, in a way, abandoned from young?” Yoona tilted her head in confusion. You noticed her expression and added, “I’m not too sure why they were abandoned but it was believed that they are the gifted sons in the clan. So, they have to shoulder heavy responsibilities trying to maintain the existence of this clan.”

“Why is it important to keep the existence of the clan?” Yoona asked.

“Well because this clan was formed by our late great-great grandparents to hold an important family –“ You stopped and swallowed hard, “– secret.” You finished but dare not looked into Yoona’s eyes. You were afraid she was going to ask, what secret it is.

“Secret?” True enough, she did. However, you gave her an apologetic look. “Alright, you don’t have to explain further on that. I just want to know, how these guys are. They sound very mysterious to me.”

You smiled at her response and mentally thanked her for making things a lot easier for you. “We know we are part of the clan when we have symbols imprinted on us.” You pushed your hair away and pulled up your shirt revealing your back to Yoona. “I’m pretty sure, you saw this before right? The symbol –“

“Oh my God! I thought it was just a random birthmark. How did it become a symbol of a sun?” Yoona gaped, surprised by what she was staring. She saw the mark before but previously she noticed it as being irregular with no shape. The mark seemed to have changed shape; into a sun.

“It’s supposedly a star. That was what they claimed it to symbolise. I guess when I was younger, the mark wasn’t that obvious?” You came up with a theory, which you weren’t even sure of. “So yeah, I’m part of this clan. I didn’t believe it at first, but when these boys showed me their birthmarks as well, I was surprised myself.” You let your hair fall back in place.

“Wow! Are you guys like some sort of special clan with powers or something? This has got to be the coolest thing ever!” Yoona gleefully remarked.

You gulped suddenly at the mention of powers. "It's not cool, Yoona. Trust me, it's not. The responsibilities we need to shoulder just to keep this clan strong, literally.” Yoona gave you a confused look. “Okay, let’s not talk about the clan anymore. Hmm, do you want to get to know EXO in details?” You changed the topic of conversation to something more suitable.

Yoona perked up at the mention of EXO, and nodded in excitement. “Of course! Tell me how each of them are.”

You lied on your back comfortably. Yoona followed suit, lying beside you, staring the ceiling. It was a nice atmosphere. Despite not on talking terms with EXO, you kind of missed them out of a sudden. “There is a guy name, Kris. He’s tall, like absolutely tall, and he has this really serious look plastered across his face all the time. He can be scary but he is actually nice and caring; just like a big brother. Oh and his weakness is aegyo!” Yoona chuckled.

 “Alright, let’s move on. There is this really cute baby-faced guy name Luhan. He’s Chinese, just like Kris. He’s handsome and has pretty eyes. I think you might like him the best because he’s not just good looking, he is gentlemanly and kind. By the way, he’s the second oldest but he doesn’t look his age. You’ll be surprised when you meet him.”

“Kris is Chinese as well? Woah okay. Who’s the oldest?”

“Tsk Yoona, be patient girl. HAHA! Alright, the oldest is Xiumin. Yeah, I know his name sounds Chinese but he’s Korean. Apparently, he was born here but was raised up in China until 12 years old before his parents brought him back here. There is another guy, Chen. He’s Korean as well but with similar background. Even though they have Korean names, it’s best to call them by their Chinese. There are other 2 more Chinese members; Lay and Tao. Lay is a shy guy. He’s always by himself but once in a while if you talk to him, he’s actually a cool person. Tao, on the other hand, is very lively. He’s tall as well and is very close to Kris. He has a nickname, call him Panda.”

“Why?”

“Because he has dark circles under his eyes. He looks scary but is very emotional person and quite cuddly. HAHA! Next, we have Suho. He’s the nicest of them all. He is the most patient and gentle. His skin is milky white, like yours. He is the mediator definitely because of his high level of patience. Without him, I’ll probably get into more fights with them.” You were glad Suho was total opposite from Kris. The thought of just having Kris as the leader, you would probably have mental breakdown.

“Then we have Baekhyun. He’s pretty cute and a very jovial person. He’s the joker in the house together with Chanyeol. Chanyeol, is this very tall guy. The way he smiles can freak you out at times. Oh his voice, despite having a cute face, his voice is really manly.”

“Wow, I like!” Yoona swooned at the mention of manly voice. You rolled eyes and snickered at your friend’s candid reaction.

“Then we have D.O, the mother of the boys. He’s really small in size but don’t ever underestimate his strength.”

“Eh, why?” Yoona asked curiously.

You chuckled and continued, “Nah, he’s pretty strong, that’s all. Anyway, he’s a good cook and likes to clean. He nags a lot too. HAHA! Oh and his eyes are really big and round.”

“Awww so cute!” Yoona commented.

“So, we are left with Sehun and Kai. You know them right? Sehun is really nice. Well Kai –“ you stopped. “he’s not like the rest.” You spoke out the truth. Kai was your least favourite of them all. He’s arrogant, cold and stubborn. There were times when he’s okay, but most of the time, he’s not. However, deep down, you yearned to know him better.

“Meaning? You don’t like him?” Yoona asked straightforwardly.

You didn’t know how to answer. You didn’t like him, but you didn’t hate him either. “He’s the least favourite.” You answered.

“Wow! They sound like a bunch of cool guys. You’re so lucky, Lyorin.” Yoona remarked jubilantly.

Everyone seemed to like being you. First it was Sori and now, Yoona. But you, on the other note, didn’t like how your life is. Not knowing your parents and your life was constantly at risk; these weren’t what you expect after living for 17 years. However, you were rather thankful that it was you instead of them. As much as you hated your life, you didn’t want to share the pain with others, especially Yoona. You were glad her life was normal; yes normal.

 

To be continued...