The Last Phone Call

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

Lay and Kai walked down the concrete steps towards the lake in the afternoon just before dinner. Both of their minds had not stopped thinking about the discussion they had that morning. Reaching the bench, they sat down watching the magnificent view of the lake while the sun set in view. Lay had brought along a bag of chips. He tore it open and offered Kai some. Kai looked at the chips and took some, munching it softly. Both of them didn’t exchange any words. They were silent throughout.

Minutes passed, Lay finally spoke. “You know Kai, as much as I hated BAP and their clan members, I can’t help but agree with what Chen had deduced this morning.” Kai nodded but still remained quiet. “I have not mentioned this to anyone but the last time when Yongguk tried to hurt Lyorin, I realised he wasn’t using his power to kill her. Yes, he did cause harm to her in a way but he wasn’t out to kill her.”

Kai looked at Lay with a confused frown, “What do you mean?”

“Yongguk is the leader of BAP. Being the leader, he needs to set a good example by following the code stated in the Book of Fate. If he wanted to kill her, he would have killed instantly in a heartbeat. But he didn’t, right? We all know how powerful he is. Come on Kai, you saw the whole scene and knew it. Lyorin could have died at that moment.” Lay explained.

Kai’s face turned crimson as he recalled the scene. “Then what did Yongguk want instead?’

“Yongguk has the ability to the living out of you. He is also able to read right through your soul. Everything about you, he is able to capture it just by a touch.”

“So hyung, you’re saying he was reading her? Why?” Kai was puzzled.

“I have no idea, Kai.” Lay answered, scratching his head. “We need to wait for Lyorin. I’m positive her father must have left something for her. He was the last one. Remember the call Mr Lee received on the 8th January 2011, a day before his body was found?”

Kai nodded. He remembered. That call was the key.

 

 

*************

08-01-2011

 

“Let’s call it a day! Mr Lee yelled across the open field where EXO guys were carrying out their usual training. With sweaty and exhausted bodies, one by one the guys dragged themselves back in to the house. Mr Lee made his way in as well; when out of a sudden the servant came up to him.

“Sir, there is an important call for you.” The servant passed the cordless phone to Mr Lee.

“Hello,” Mr Lee greeted with caution.

“Mr Lee, this is Kim Junho. Listen, I think I have found out who is behind all this.”

“Who?”

“There are new people, not a BAP or BTOB.” Junho answered.

“New? What do you mean by new people?”

“I don’t have much time. Mr Lee, I’m going to hunt them tonight. I need to settle this once and for all.” Junho rushed his words.

“Kim Junho, don’t! You are not going to do this alone?!” Mr Lee warned.

“I have to! There is not much time left. They killed –“ Junho stopped. Mr Lee could faintly hear a sniff at the other end of the call. “They killed my wife and they are searching for my daughter. I need to stop them before it’s too late.”

“B-but what if you die? It’s too risky.” Mr Lee tried to persuade Junho; the last remaining chosen one from the previous generation.

“Mr Lee, I will die but I won’t fail. Trust me.” Junho assured. Even at the mentioned of his death, he was still calm and collected. It was as if he knew it was going to come.

“Junho, don’t. Your daughter, Lyorin, at least meet her for the last time.”

Hearing his daughter’s name, Junho can’t help but crumbled. He fell to his knees, as tears streamed down uncontrollably. “I don’t t-think I can see her. I d-don’t deserve to see her.” He stuttered, choking on his tears.

“Junho, I know where you were all this while. You are the best dad for her. Just please, don’t do this on your own. Take with you the new EXO. They are ready.”

“No, they need to protect my daughter. I have to do this, Mr Lee. Like I’ve said, this might be the last conversation I’m having with you. I know I will die, but I won’t fail. All you need to do is to make sure my daughter lives up till she’s 20. Don’t tell her about me or Jin Ah –“ His voice quivered worst than before after mentioning his late wife.

“Junho…” Mr Lee pleaded. His eyes watered. He was absolutely amazed at this one man’s strength.

“Mr Lee, you remember our promise?”

“I don’t think I can – “

Junho interrupted, “You have to, Mr Lee. I want her to live her life normally. Please? She doesn’t need to know who or how her parents are like. We’re not even there to watch her grow.”

“You were.” Mr Lee cut in.

Junho ignored and continued, “I have to go now. Please look after Lyorin. She needs to stay safe. She is the key.”

“I will.”

“Mr Lee, you have been my faithful master and father. Please take care of your health. Cut down on the reading and research. Consume your medicine on time. I’m thankful for everything you have provided for me. Thank you. Mr Lee, Lyorin is not just a normal STAR.” He ended.

“Thank you Junho. I will make sure your sacrifice will never be forgotten. Never. Good bye.” Mr Lee took off his glasses and wiped the tears in his eyes.

 

 **************

Lay asked, “Should we ask Mr Lee about the call?”

Kai shook his head. “If he had wanted us to know, he would have said it.”

Lay, along with the rest of EXO, were equally clueless with the whole situation. There were things Mr Lee had kept away from them. They knew but they were in no position to dwell on it. Previously, they were task to ensure Lyorin was well protected. However, with the pieces slowly bridging in, they can’t help but wonder who the real culprits were. The process of searching had become their newest task at hand.

 

To be continued...