Hurt

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

You placed the puck on the table and prepared for the attack, while Hyunsik smiled, looking at your determined face. Both of you were at the arcade playing the air-hockey. The score was 10-6, and you were leading. You didn’t care whether Hyunsik was just being lenient to you or he really at it. You aimed for winning which was to play till 15 points, because loser would have to treat the other ice-cream. You were not being a cheapskate, it’s just your competitive trait got the better of you. While you were about to start the game, your phone rang. You rummaged your bag for the phone only to see Luhan’s number on the screen. Oh , you mumbled inaudibly. You chucked the phone in your bag and ignored. It kept ringing and ringing throughout the game.

“Shouldn’t you answer the call?” Hyunsik wondered. The phone had been ringing for about three times, but you refused to answer.

“Hmmm, nothing imp0rtant.” You said casually but your heart was beating so fast knowing that EXO boys had found out about your disappearance.

“Okay. If you need to be home, we can head back.” He said while striking the puck across the table.

“NO! Not when I’m leading now.” You laughed and scored another goal. 

“No way!” Hyunsik pouted and laughed along. The atmosphere was back to normal and you disregarded the continuous ringing sound coming from your phone. Eventually, it stopped and you sighed in relief. Finally, PEACE!

After about an hour of air-hockey, it concluded with you winning the game. So, as promised, Hyunsik had to treat you to ice-cream. Both of you headed out of the arcade and went to the nearest street cart that sold ice-cream. It was already close to 10pm. You and Hyunsik strolled by the park, enjoying the ice-cream.

“Did you purposely lose the game?” You asked out of a sudden, the yam ice-cream off the cone.

Hyunsik smiled and shook his head. “Of course not. You were good.” He said.

“Yeah right.” You answered sarcastically. He caught your sarcasm, and relentlessly tried to convince that you were really good.

Seeing that you weren’t buying his words, “How about another round of game?” He suggested.

“What game?”

Hyunsik scratched his head and tried hard to think of something, “How about rock, paper and scissors?”

“Seriously?” You laughed so hard at his suggestion. “Okay fine! Don't lose on purpose okay?" You warned him jokingly.

"Lyorin, how could I possibly let you win in rock, paper and scissors?" He joked.

"Ah okay. So, loser should?" You pondered thinking of a good punishment.

"Piggy-back ride? Loser should piggy-back the winner! Set?!"

"Alright! Let's go for 3 rounds!" You hid your hand behind your back, preparing for the first attack.

The first round, you chose rock while Hyunsik chose scissors. So, you won. Second round, Hyunsik won with paper over rock. The last round, Hyunsik chose scissors while you chose paper, which made him the overall winner. You pouted, slightly disappointed at your own loss.

You were already prepared to piggy-back him, so you went infront of him and crouched down slightly, "Hop on." Hyunsik was taken aback. He didn't want to let you carry him of course.

"Nah Lyorin, it's okay. I don't need a piggy-back ride. Plus, I'm kind of heavy you know." He said, and then started laughing but you didn't budge.

"Come on. A promise is a promise, okay?" You were still crouching down waiting for him to get on your small back. Finally, Hyunsik gave in and hopped on to your back. He was careful, trying to hold his breathe as if it would make him lighter by doing so. "See, I'm not weak." You carried him for about 50 metres. Hyunsik smiled throughout the ride as he held onto your shoulder tightly. He loved the smell of your hair and enjoyed the moment. He got down and patted your back to ease it.

"You’re a strong girl. Thanks! That was the best ride I've ever had!" He beamed gleefully. "Now, it’s your turn." He went infront of you and knelt down. You refused and pushed him away. You started walking ahead. Hyunsik jogged after you and went infront, insisting for you to climb on his back.

"That's not part of the deal." You said.

"Get on, please." still kneeling down and his face showed that he was not going to give up.

"Okay fine since you insist." You hopped on. That was the first time you had a guy piggy-back you. As you got on his back, you can't help but feel his toned back and broad shoulders. When he lifted up, you felt so high, literally, since he's taller than you. His back was straight as he marched forward slowly. "If you're tired, you can just put me down." He had walk for quite a distant, still having you on his back. Both of you kept silent and were enjoying the night scene.

"I'm not. Lyorin, can I ask you something?" When he felt a nod as a response from you, he continued, "Would you be someone that is happy but oblivious or sad but is aware of what's going on?"

"Tough question. Let's see. So, it's a question of whether I would rather be happy but clueless or sad but know everything. I would choose the latter. I would want to be knowledgable and know about myself even if the truth hurts."

"Even if you have to lose someone you love? Would you still demand for the truth?" Hyunsik asked further.

"You can always mend relationships but once you deny yourself from the truth, it will never come back." You answered carefully after giving much thought. "Why are you asking me this? Are you experiencing such a situation?" You asked him in return.

"No, actually I'm at the other side of the picture. I know alot about stuffs that...well.." He stuttered nervously. "I'm just afraid that if I tell the person everything, the person would leave me." He added.

"I see. If you explain it correctly, I'm sure the person will understand. Hyunsik, you're a nice person and I don't think anyone would leave you."

"My parents....they left me because they found out something." He spoke softly but you caught his words.

"I'm sorry." You rubbed his arm, trying to comfort him.

"It's alright. They left me when I was 10 years old." You hugged him tighter, hoping it would absorb his pain away. "I don't want the person to leave me after knowing everything just like what my parents did."

"No one will leave you, atleast not me." You said trying to ease his pain. Both of you finally reached the bus station. He gently placed you down after being on his back for about 30mins. He didn't seem tired at all.

“You sure?” Hyunsik asked.

“Of course!” You gave him a pat on the shoulder. The bus came right at that time, “Hyunsik, thanks for tonight. It was fun! Enjoy your holidays well!” And off you went to catch the bus before it left. Hyunsik couldn’t respond as you rushed quickly for the bus. He gave you a smile and waved as the bus left the station. The long stretch of journey back home seemed dead without your presence.

Lyorin, I hope you mean it, his heart whispered.

 

*************************************

 

Lyorin trudged on the long pavement infront of the mansion. She glanced at the time on her phone, 11:30PM, and there were 23 missed calls from Luhan and Sehun. The time spent with Hyunsik was sweet and lovely. She enjoyed his company but now she had to face the wrath of EXO whom she was about to face. She prayed hard that the guys had gone to their rooms so that she could quietly sneak in. When she reached the doorstep, she slowly unlocked the front door and pushed open. The living room lights were still on, and it only meant one thing, they are still awake.

 

The first person she stumbled upon was Aunt Marie who had a displeasure expression plastered. Lyorin gave her a pitiful look hoping she would save her but she shrugged away. She mimed a ‘help’ to her but she pointed her finger to the direction of the EXO boys who were at the living room waiting for her explanation. Their expressions were grim and harsh, including Sehun. This time, she knew she was all alone.

“WHERE.DID.YOU.GO?” Kris was the first to ask her and his voice was low. He tried to remain calm.

“Does it matter where I went? I’m back and perfectly fine.” Lyorin said without a tinge of remorse

“DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IS IT? WE HAVE BEEN CALLING YOU ENDLESSLY!” Kris finally erupted. His yell blasted across the huge mansion. Every of the EXO members were on their feet. Lyorin’s stomach churned nervously. She wanted to just run away and escaped but her body went numb. “DO YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS IS IT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU’RE OUT WITH HIM?” He continued with his yelling.

“Him? What are you talking about?” Lyorin asked curiously. How did they know she went out with Hyunsik, unless….Kai and Sehun. She looked at them, who had blank faces.

“You very well know what I’m talking about. Hyunsik!” Kris answered his voice still harsh.

“Hyunsik? Dangerous? WHAT?! So, you’re saying all my guy friends are dangerous? Is this your definition of danger? OH COME ON! HE’S HARMLESS. LOOK, I’M PERFECTLY FINE!” Lyorin increased the volume of her voice as she grew irritated with the accusations.

“Lyorin!” A voice snapped and it was not Kris but Suho. SUHO? “Will you stop being so stubborn for once?! Stay away from Hyunsik. Don’t ask why, just stay away from him.” Suho spoke in an agitated tone for the first time which surprised Lyorin. He had never spoken to her harshly and that was the first time she heard him.

“You’re controlling who I want to be friends with as well, now?” She asked spitefully. It wasn’t a question directed to anyone in fact.

“Lyorin, just listen to them please.” Aunt Marie pleaded.

“No Aunt, I won’t. They’re not answering any of my questions, why must I listen to them. They’re not my parents and as far as I know, I don’t have any.” Lyorin spoke out; her voice trembled at the mention of her unknown parents. Aunt shook her head, unable to push further. Luhan, Sehun, Chanyeol, Xiumin and Chen had softened their expressions after hearing Lyorin’s words. Suho looked down in guilt. After the blast, she quickly left the group and was heading towards the stairs.

“Lyorin! We’re not done talking!” Kris and Suho were calling out her name, but she ignored. Out of a sudden Kai grabbed her wrist, preventing her from leaving.

“Suho hyung and Kris hyung are still talking to you” Kai’s voice was cold.

“I don’t have anything else to talk.” she answered flatly still having her wrist grabbed by Kai.

“Fine if you don’t want to get along with us but at the very least, stop being a burden to us.” he said it out loud. The rest of the boys were taken aback after hearing what Kai just said.

“Kai!” Suho stepped in between and looked at him in disappointment. “Kai, say that you didn’t mean it” Lyorin’s head hung low as they talked.

Tears were starting to form in her eyes, but she swallowed her saliva, trying to compose herself. “I knew it….” She blurted softly and walked upstairs, shutting herself from the voices that were calling out her name.

 

Back in the living room, Kai was given disappointed and dismayed looks from the rest. Kai reflected on his words and realised he didn’t mean what he say. He was just sprouting rashly in a fit of anger. He punched the air in frustration. He felt remorseful and could not bring himself to face Lyorin after hurting her with his words. Kris, who yelled at her, felt down and upset at himself for displaying the side of him that he hated the most. Luhan volunteered to talk to her but Aunt stopped him, telling him to let Lyorin cool down and reflect on her actions as well. The atmosphere turned gloomy. No matter how stubborn Lyorin was, the EXO boys would never want to hurt her in any way.

Upon reaching her room, she went straight to her bed without washing up, and covered herself with the blanket. She didn’t want to cry but tears were just flowing uncontrollably. She couldn’t believe that she actually cried because of EXO, especially when she vowed that their relationship was nothing but strictly business. She didn’t expect Kai’s words could pierce her heart.

That night, it was the first time she cried to sleep.

 

To be continued...