Start of Something

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

The car ride was awkwardly quiet. After dinner, Luhan willingly requested to send Yoona home. However, now that he was alone with her in the car, he was out of words. Yoona felt the tense atmosphere as well. Back during dinner, they had a wonderful time talking and getting along but now it seemed as though they were back to being strangers.

 

Yoona couldn't stand the unbearable silence anymore. "Hmm mind if I switch on the radio?"

"Yea sure." Luhan responded with a smile. He was fixing his eyes on the road in front with his hands tightly gripping the steering wheel.

Yoona fiddled with the radio channels until she finally rested on the classical songs. She pushed her head back and absorbed the soothing classical music that was on. "You like classics?" Luhan asked.

Yoona sheepishly answered, "Yes. It keeps me calm." Luhan chuckled after hearing her answer. "What's so funny?" Yoona asked. She wasn't angry or anything.

"I guess both of us need some classical music to calm us down because it's quite awkward right now. I'm sorry if I bore you." Luhan apologised and laughed.

"That's not it. You're cool. Your friends are cool too. I'm just happy to be able to meet you guys finally." Yoona beamed in delight. She sounded genuine which made Luhan attracted to her kindness. "Lyorin has been harping on how annoying..." She covered after realising the little mistake. "Don't tell her I said this. She keeps saying how you guys are annoying and over protective but actually you guys are nice and friendly." She added.

"Tsk! That girl." Luhan snapped playfully.

"Nah, she likes to act all cool and tough but deep inside she treasures you guys. She rarely shows affections but I could see she loves all of you." Yoona explained. Hearing those words, Luhan couldn't contain his smile.

"Enough of Lyorin. So Yoona, tell me more about yourself?"

"Well, I did talk about myself a lot during dinner." Yoona pouted thinking that Luhan had not paid any attention to her talking during dinner.

Luhan noticed a change in tone and realised his silly mistake. “Yea, I know you and Lyorin had been friends since elementary. You grew up together as neighbours but during middle school you moved house. However, you still kept in contact with Lyorin and Aunt Marie. Both of you are in the same high school now. There was a time when both of you went on a holiday to the mountains during winter and did some skiing. You were 14 at that time if I’m not wrong. Then, both of you got into a slight accident. Of course I heard what you said over dinner.” He grinned proudly. “Besides all that, tell me more about you.”

 Yoona was amazed by how much he actually remembered of her. “There is nothing interesting about me. I’m quite a boring person.” She said.

“Come on, I’m sure you have things you like and dislike.” Luhan was eager to know more about Yoona.

“Okay. I’m the only child in the family with no siblings. Hmmm, I love pastel colours, like light pink, yellow and beige. I enjoy reading during my spare time. Oh my favourite dessert is patbingsu. I love it so much that I can eat it even during winter season. HAHA! Hmm…what else?” Yoona thought further.

“I see. You love pastel colours? Nice.” Luhan responded cooly.

“Yea, basically that’s it?” Yoona shot a shy look as though her life was really boring.

“What about your parents?”

“Well, they’re always away on business trips. So –“ Yoona stopped for a while.

“It’s okay. You don’t have to tell me about them.”

“Nah, it’s just. I don’t even remember the last time we had a proper meal together.” Yoona’s voice quivered as she mentioned about her almost non-existence parents.

Luhan looked at her and instantly his heart went out for her. Now, he understood why Lyorin and Yoona were extremely close and why they always hung out till late at night because Lyorin was accompanying her most of the time.

“That’s my house over there.” Yoona pointed towards a terrace house sitting alone in the neighbourhood. Luhan scrutinized the house. It’s big for a girl who lived by herself on most days. He stopped the car, turned off the engine and unfastened his seat belt.

“Are your parents in?” Luhan asked. “Your house is lighted.” He noticed the lights of the house were on. He walked over and opened the car door just like a true gentleman.

“No.” Yoona answered while getting off the car. “Thanks” She mumbed, smiling at him.

“Then –“ Luhan’s furrowed his brows as he stood in front of her protectively just in case there were unexpected intruders.

However, Yoona seemed to be relaxed. “Oh, I switched the lights on before I left. I do that on purpose all the time to make it seem like the house is occupied and not empty. You know, just a precaution.” She said it casually and led the way.

“Oh.” Luhan was relieved. “You’re smart.” He added and followed behind her closely.

They walked up the pathway, across the lawn towards the front porch. Yoona invited Luhan in but he refused saying that it was already too late and advised her to rest. She rummaged her bag for the keys and unlocked her front door.

“Thanks for the dinner. It was lovely… Luhan-sshi.” Yoona said politely.

“Oppa, Luhan oppa.” Luhan corrected her. Yoona blushed, realising that she was allowed to drop the formality and called him endearingly. “Anyway, you’re most welcome. It was nice having you over. Rest well and have a good night.” He ended with a smile.

“Thanks, Luhan op-oppa.” She stuttered having to call him that for the first time. Luhan flashed the biggest grin after hearing it.

Luhan made his way down the porch and walked towards the car. Just when Yoona was about to lock the door, Luhan realised his heart was missing something. So he ran back up, “Yoona, I love patbingsu too! Let’s have it together one day! And –“ With shaking hands he took out his mobile and, “Yoona, can I have your number? But it’s okay if you don’t feel like giving it to a stranger like me. I was just wondering if you’re bored and your parents aren’t in town, you can always give me a call and we can hang out. If you’re uncomfortable, we can bring Lyorin along. We can watch movies, hang out –“

“987654321. That’s my number.” Yoona interrupted and patted his shoulder so that he could catch his breath. He was gushing nervously in a breath. She laughed seeing his trembling fingers as he saved her number in his phone.

“Thanks,” Luhan muttered softly. He was embarrassed but at least he managed to gather the courage to ask for a girl’s number for the first time in life. Even though it wasn’t in a romantic way, at least he got it. “Goodnight Yoona.” With that, he walked away.

“This is the start to something new.” Luhan’s heart whispered.

 

*************

 

BAP’s Residence

 

Yongguk was reading the sacred Book of Fate in the study room alone. It was already late but his mind had not settled ever since the encounter they had with the mysterious man. While looking through the book, he came across a peculiar excerpt.

A betrayer among your kind. Slay him or your future generations will suffer.

“Betrayer?” Yongguk rubbed his temple. He was confused. Who was this betrayer? Did they manage to find out? Questions were pouring in his head. However, none of these could be answered by him. He was only present in this generation. He had no clue what the past generations had to overcome.

He picked up his mobile and dialled a number immediately. The excerpt seemed like an impetus for him to take this curiosity to another level.

“Yongguk, what’s wrong?” Mr Kim voiced was heard through the phone.

“Mr Kim, I have a question for you. Was there any betrayer among our clan members throughout the history of our existence?” Yongguk went straight in to the question.

“Huh?” Mr Kim could only respond as such. He was utterly confused.

Yongguk realised his question was too direct. Thus, he rephrased and asked again, “I’m sorry. I mean, were there any stories from the past about a betrayal that happened within our clan or others?”

“I don’t hear of any such stories. So far, the fraternity has been strong and no one had ever tried to disclose our secret. Why are you asking this, Yongguk?”

“I came across a line from the Book of Fate. I’m just curious if such a case has ever happened before. Can you tell me more about the generation which led to the splitting of the clans?” Yongguk inquired further.

“Yongguk, the split happened during my grandfather’s generation. And –“ Mr Kim swallowed a saliva. “My grandfather went missing and was never found.”

“He was missing?” Yongguk sounded surprised. That was the first time he knew about BAP’s clan master’s disappearance.

“Yes, he went missing. Up till now, we have no clue his whereabouts. Anyway, for sure he’s dead by now.”

“Mr Kim, is it possible if you could come visit us anytime soon? I would like to show you a symbol.” Yongguk asked. Mr Kim agreed and promised to visit BAP soon. Yonguk’s sudden urge to know more about the clan’s history was puzzling. Previously, he wasn’t interested. It seemed as though he was about to uncover something.

“This could be the start to something big.” Yongguk assured himself as he hung up the phone.

 

To be continued...