Hypocrite

Dawn of the Rising Star

 

The car ride back home was making Yoona sad. She enjoyed her night and wished it would never end so soon. Luhan was beside her and she felt glad he became her date for the party. Even only knowing him for less than a month, she could sense that he was perfect for her. He was the kind of guy whose presence was just enough to make her extremely happy and excited. The soft sound of music playing in the car further enhanced her mood.

“Luhan oppa, thanks for agreeing to be my date for the night.” Yoona smiled angelically at him. He diverted his gaze from the road and looked at her.

“Yoona, I should be the one thanking you for asking me.” Luhan replied with a chuckle, as he recalled the incident he had with Lyorin.

“I enjoyed your company for the night.” Yoona confessed. She unconsciously placed her hand near the middle and to her surprise; Luhan touched and held on to her hand gently. He slid his fingers in between hers and carefully clutched tightly yet tenderly. Even though this was the first time they held hands, Yoona didn’t feel uncomfortable or awkward, and in fact she loved the feeling of his warm hands. Without realising, she was blushing.

Luhan took the wheels with one hand while the other, he held on to Yoona’s. He felt natural holding her hands despite being the first and he was glad she didn’t refuse his touch. “I enjoyed it too.” Luhan said with a smile. Both of them were silent throughout the rest of the ride, but their hands never left each other.

Finally, the car was parked right in front of Yoona’s house. Reluctantly, both of them got out of the car. Even though the walk to her house was a short distance, Luhan placed his jacket around her. They walked slowly while linking hands naturally as though they had done it a million times before. They walked up the porch and finally stopped just right before her front door.

“Thank you.” Yoona said once more. She was thankful not only because Luhan agreed to be her date. She was thankful that he sent her home, took care of her the entire night, how a perfect gentleman he was and most importantly, how much he could make her happy without even trying.

“Anything for you, Yoona.” Luhan responded curtly with a bow. Yoona took of his jacket and gave it back to him. She was about to thank him once more but the next move Luhan had for her, totally caught her off guard. Gently Luhan pulled Yoona in to a tight embraced. His nose was just above her hair and he could smell the sweet scent of it. He closed her eyes and tried to absorb the atmosphere as much as possible. At the beginning, Yoona stood awkwardly with her hands kept by her side. But slowly, she hugged his back and nuzzled her face in to his broad chest. “I like you. I like you a lot.” Luhan whispered, loud enough for Yoona to hear.

After what felt like forever, Luhan pulled away from the embrace and cupped her cheeks, staring straight in her eyes. Yoona gazed his eyes as well and said, “I like you too.”

After listening to her reply, Luhan smiled and let go off her cheeks. By then, he was already embarrassed at the whole situation. Shyly, he scratched the back of his head and grinned. “I’m sorry if I surprise you.” Yoona shook her head and told him that it was okay and it didn’t surprise her in a way because she was actually waiting for his confession. Luhan felt at ease knowing that they had mutual feelings for each other. “It’s late. Your parents will worry. So, I see you around soon?” Yoona nodded. “I don’t know if I’ve said this already but Yoona, you’re beautiful girl and I’m thankful you’re giving me the chance to let me know you. Good night and I hope you rest well.” He muttered before leaving the porch. He waved at her for the last time before she went inside. He then settled back in the car and drove away. Throughout the ride, Luhan had a smile plastered across his face. He was surprised at himself for having the courage to confess to a girl for the first time. Yes, Yoona was the first girl.

 

-----

 

Lyorin sat on the grass by the Han River with Hyunsik. The rest of the BTOB guys had already left, leaving just Hyunsik and herself. She stared at the river’s night view and then looked up at the sky full of stars. Out of a sudden she asked, “Hyunsik, why do the Stars shine so brightly? Do you think they are happy being Stars? They are so pretty and sparkling and never once lose their lights.”

Hyunsik tilted his head and looked at her. “Lyorin, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing. I’m fine.” Lyorin replied, obviously lying. “It’s just that, sometimes I wish I can be just like the stars; be happy without any worries and will never lose my shine.” She continued with a sigh.

Hyunsik could not stand it any longer. He was sitting beside her but then he got up and moved in front of her so that he could see her face. He scrutinized her eyes and once more he could sense the troubles she was bottling up. “Hey, look at me. What happened? Why are you being like this? You’re making me worried.” He asked, taking her hands in his.

“I don’t know. I’m feeling very tired.” Lyorin answered. She looked away from him and stared at the night sky.

“I know something is bothering. Tell me, maybe I can help.” Hyunsik offered to listen to her cries.

Lyorin shrugged. “Nah, I’m fine. Hyunsik, you’ve been a good friend but I don’t think you can help me with this.”

Hyunsik heart sank when he heard the word ‘friend’. Lyorin only saw him as a friend. However, he brushed the thoughts aways. He already expected it in a way. “Just follow your heart. Do not think too much because, trust me, you’re not in this alone.” He advised.

Hyunsik recalled the first encounter he had with Kai in school. As much as he wanted to deny and not use his abilities, he just could not hide the fact that Kai was the one; for her. However, he was selfish and didn’t tell her about Kai. Furthermore, he noticed how Kai acted indifferently towards her. This somehow gave him hope that he might stand a chance. Unfortunately, at the party he witnessed Lyorin’s feelings for the first time and realised Hyunsik wasn’t at the winning end.

Lyorin mumbled a thank-you and leaned her head on his shoulders. Hyunsik patted her back gently calming er down. Mentally he whispered, “Even if I’m just a friend to you, I will make sure you shine brightly just like a Star.”

 

Across a distant on a bridge near the Han River, BAP guys were walking home after their night at a club. Himchan, Daehyun and Youngjae were drunk and had been laughing uncontrollably and were being a nuisance. The two youngest, Jongup and Zelo were having a hard time making sure their hyungs didn’t get in any unnecessary trouble. This was basically their routine almost every night. They worked hard for their mission but they partied equally hard or even more. Yongguk trailed at the back slowly. He was a little tipsy but still sober enough to walk on his own. Ever since the last time he bumped in to Lyorin, Yongguk had gotten back to his old self. He was out partying with s almost every night; he went back to Hyomin and he kept himself busy thinking about the mission rather than worrying for Lyorin. He walked towards the edge of the bridge and stared at the river below him. That was when he noticed someone familiar, or rather a familiar couple.

Yongguk went and grabbed Daehyun, ordering him to confirm the couple’s identity. Daehyun immediately used his ability and magnified their faces. “Lyorin and –“ Daehyun stopped. He seemed to be checking the identity of the young man again. “! BTOB’s Hyunsik!” He yelled. The rest of the members gathered upon hearing BTOB. The three guys who were drunk seemed to have awakened.

“What are we waiting for? Let’s go and confront him!” Himchan yelled.

“No!” Yongguk ordered. “What do you want to confront him?!” Yongguk asked.

The rest of the guys were taken aback. Usually, whenever they encountered a member from another clan, they would confront, disturbed their peace and sometimes it may even lead to fights. Thankfully, the fights never led to any fatalities; not yet. Their encounters were never peaceful. Now that they finally managed to track a BTOB after so long, they thought of ‘greeting’ him.

“Why? We’re just going to say hi to our brother.” Himchan sarcastically said. However, Yongguk remained firm and glared at s.

Daehyun continued to look at Hyunsik and Lyorin from far. He then reported to him members what he just witnessed, “Oh hey, they’re hugging! Wait, they know each other?”

Yongguk was even more furious than before. At first he was angry at s, but now he was angry at Lyorin. He felt betrayed. She could be close with Hyunsik but not him. She was such a hypocrite, he thought. His fists were trembling as Daehyun kept reporting what he saw. The rest of the members were fooling and joking around at what they were seeing. Yongguk could not bear to look at the couple.

“Let’s go, guys. I know of another way we can have fun. Ignore them for tonight, we’ll plan of something.” Yongguk declared after coming up with an idea of revenge. All he could feel at the moment was betray.

 

-----

Lyorin took out her keys and unlocked the front door. It was already nearly 3AM in the morning. She spent the night with Hyunsik and was thankful that it did make her feel better. Quietly, she pushed the door open. She was carrying her heels and then she kept it on the rack. She straightened her dress and tidied her hair. She noticed that the lights were still on in the living room. She cursed under her breathe. The guys were still awake even at this hour. She had never worn a dress or dolled herself in front of EXO guys. Knowing that they guys were still up, she was nervous at how their reactions would be.

She walked slowly towards the living room and noticed Kai was sitting in front of the TV. She sighed in relief that it was just Kai. Slowly she walked further, ignoring the look that Kai was giving. Suddenly, Baekhyun appeared with a bowl of cereal.

“Hey Lyorin, you’re back!” Baekhyun greeted while chewing the food.

Lyorin smiled and nodded shly. “Yes. Baek oppa, you’re not asleep?”

“I’m hungry.” Baekhyun answered with a chuckle. Lyorin smiled and then excused herself. Just when she was about to walk away Baekhyun said, “Lyorin, you look pretty. I love your dress and your hair is nice –“ He went closer to her face, with just inches away he continued, “Don’t be too pretty or oppa will fall for you.”

Lyorin’s eyes widened. She could hear his breathings and the way he complimented her, just made her more embarrassed. She gulped nervously before saying, “Thank you.” Baekhyun pulled his face away and smiled. She walked up the stairs but she stopped and turned to see Kai who was fixing his eyes on the TV screen. Just then she called out to Baekhyun, “Baek oppa, thank you. At least someone here appreciates how I look.” She said before proceeding up to her room.

Baekhyun was confused at her remark. So, he asked Kai, “Kai, why did she say that only I appreciate the way she looks?”

Kai shrugged pretending to be clueless but he very well knew why she said that.

 

-----

Kai placed his ear on Lyorin’s bedroom door. He heard nothing and guessed that she must have gone to sleep. Silently, he teleported in to her room and stood close to the door just in case she was still awake. Thankfully, she was already asleep. Kai walked towards the bed and watched her peaceful, serene face. Kai heaved a sigh and then noticed the dress she wore for the party, hanging near the wardrobe. Undeniably, the dress was nice but it was nicer when Lyorin was the one wearing it. He turned his attention back at her. He knelt beside the bed as carefully. He wanted to her cheeks and hold her hands, but decided not to. He was afraid it might wake her up.

Instead, he moved nearer to her face and then whispered, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. Lyorin, you were beautiful. No, you’ve always been beautiful.” His lips were just above her forehead and he was to give her the obvious but he stopped when he saw she fidgeted. Afraid that she would wake up, Kai pulled away instantly. He chuckled as Lyorin mumbled something incoherent and then went back to sleep peacefully. He walked slowly away and teleported out.

Now that he said it, his heart felt ease even if she didn’t get to hear.

 

To be continued...