>>Chapter 45

My and Byun baekhyun's temporary love.

    Sehun bid goodbye to Nana, who remained lying on the white bed of the hospital. He smiled at her one last time before slowly shutting the door to the room as if making loud noises would wake her from her peaceful sleep. He always felt fresh after visiting her, and he liked to think of the whole situation as her taking a long nap after an exhausting event. He knew Nana wouldn't want people to sulk and cry over her; she was too soft-hearted.

    Just as he turned right around a corner, he was met with a familiar girl with wide doe eyes and gaping mouth. Why she had such a shocked expression, he didn't know until he felt a light pain shooting up in his chest. Ah, she had bumped into him. Again.

    "Yah, Yoon Dohee. Is it your weekly routine to bump into me?" he faked to be really injured as he held on to the wall for "support." The young nurse immediately apologized again as she picked up her belongings.

    "Are you.. okay? Do you feel like you're going to faint again?" Dohee bit her lips, concern on her face as numerous thoughts swam around in her head.

    After glancing at her worried expression for a bit, he burst out into laughter, causing her to have a puzzled look on her face. He recovered quickly and plastered a who-do-you-think-I-am look. "I'm okay, babo. I'm a strong man, but you have to be careful. What if you were the one that knocked out this time, huh?"

    Chuckling at his childish words, she only smiled at him while secretly being relieved that she hadn't caused him trouble. He mirrored her action.

    "Oh, hey. You seemed to be in a rush before. Don't you have to go somewhere?" he suddenly questioned her. At that, Dohee's eyes widened and any traces of a smile disappeared.

    "OHMYGOSH. THE MEETING. I'M LATE. GOTTA GO. BYE!" Before he could even utter a 'goodbye,' she was already sprinting down the hallway. Her already messy hair, from being all over the place in the hospital, seemed to fly behind her. The color of her hair - golden brown was a contrast to the white all around her. White uniform, pale skin, white walls, white everything. It was soothing, he concluded.

    "Babo." he stuck his tongue out in her direction. He continued on his way to the elevator, feeling a tad bit lighter than before.

-

    "Good afternoon!" he greeted all the workers in the office, receiving only blank stares from them. He sheepishly shrugged before heading to Baekhyun's room. On his way, he saw Hyunwoo looking at a document with a perplexed look across his face.

    "Hey, is that for Baekhyun? I'll go give it to him since I'm going there anyways." he reached out his hand, but Hyunwoo shook his head. "It's okay. I want to give this to him myself." Sehun merely nodded as the two of them opened the door to the office.

    They found Baekhyun sleeping at his desk, while leaning back on his swivel chair. Before Hyunwoo could say anything, Sehun shushed him. He crept up behind him and yelled "FIIIIREE!" Baekhyun only muttered in his sleep, "Yah, Han Nana. That won't work on me twice." Sehun frowned and just nudged him instead.

    Baekhyun opened his eyes, realizing that it wasn't who he thought it was. "Oh hey, guys." he saw Hyunwoo holding the files in his hands. "What's that for?"

    Hyunwoo slowly trudged to his desk. "Your father's secretary told me to give this to you saying that it was really important.." Baekhyun groaned at the mention of his father before taking a look at the papers.

    "These are plans for the next powerplant location. He wants me to buy the land in Busan for it?" Baekhyun mumbled. Well, he guessed it wasn't so complicated.

    "Erm, I know I don't have any rights saying this but if you do buy that place for powerplants, it wouldn't be fair at all for the people living there. Although not many live in that area, there are still some residents there that wouldn't have a place to go if the land was bought, and that is an area where there are lots of fields and forest. Building power plants would just ruin pollute the environment." Hyunwoo's words grew bolder as he spoke.

    "That's exactly why my father wants to buy that area." Baekhyun looked up from the documents. "If we buy that land, it wouldn't cause hundreds of people to move compared to us buying land someplace else. Maybe some could work for us and we'd pay them fairly. Plus, since the land is very natural, it would be a good place to start building power plants."

    "But most of the people their are in their late 50's as their children have moved away. They couldn't be able to take the job anyways adding on to the fact that they wouldn't have anywhere to go. Their life right now is everything they--"

    "You seem to know that area very well." Sehun in. As Hyunwoo had started talking, he had taken his seat comfortably at a nearby chair, observing the former's reaction to the power plant project.

    "Ah...," Hyunwoo looked startled for a moment before regaining his composure. "That's because that land belongs to my mother, Nana's parents, and fellow friends as well." At that, it was Baekhyun and Sehun's turn to be stunned.

    "So you're saying that if my company does buy this land, then the citizens there - including your mother and Nana's parents - will end up with nothing?" Baekhyun's question was confirmed with a nod from Hyunwoo. Baekhyun groaned. If he agreed to his father's plan, then those who were important to him would lose everything they had. If he rejected the project, then his father would be furious and they would lose a good chance.
    
    Sehun and Baekhyun looked at each other with the same question: Was this all planned?

-

    "Dolyunim." a maid - whose name Baekhyun didn't know - widened at the sight of him. He had never come after the last meeting with Nana and Jessica. What brought him today? And he seemed so furious, she noticed.

    Baekhyun stomped past her without a word; he felt he would blow up if he opened his mouth and it was unnecessary to be cruel to her when there was a specific person he was upset at. No. Upset was an understatement. If that old man had gone to the point where he was going to get Nana's parents involved, then Baekhyun wasn't going to just stand back anymore. Of course, it could be a coincidence, but he doubted it.
    
    "Omo, what brings you here, son?" his mother rushed into the room, a big smile plastered on her face. After all, she hadn't seen him in a long time. For a moment, his face relaxed. To say that he hadn't missed his mother was a lie. He knew that she cared but was afraid of his father. In a way, he pitied her. She carressed his face softly and her eyes became damp but she continued to smile.

    "I came to settle some things with him." he grew slightly upset again. His mother's smile disappeared and was replaced with a look of worry; was that a bit of disappointment he saw as well? "But of course, I'm glad to see you as well." he chuckled and her smile returned.

    "He's up in his study room." she stated. He nodded and was about to leave when she frantically grabbed his hands. "Whatever you do, please be careful, hm?" she stared into his eyes as if the answer was written there. Baekhyun hummed in response before really starting off again.

    He finally reached the study room which was on the second floor and barged in, not bothering at all to knock. If his father was alarmed, then he definitely didn't show it as his face remained emotionless. Glaring daggers at his father, who also returned the stare, he stepped closer to his desk.

    Baekhyun took in a deep breath to calm himself. Calm. Stay calm. It could be a coincidence, he reminded himself. "Please take back your order for the next power plant location." he went straight to the point. No need to go in circles and spend a moment longer in this suffocating room.
    
    "And why is that?"

    Stay calm. Calm. Baekhyun reminded himself. "If that land is bought, then the residents there won't have anywhere left to go. They've been living in that area all their lives and their sons and daughters are grown up. They've refused to live with them so that they won't be a burden. Not to mention that they wouldn't be able to work for us despite the good salary. They're not as fit as they used to be." his voice grew frantic as seconds passed and his father didn't react at all.
    
    "And?"

     "Besides, that place is known for their nature. Building power plants there would only pollute it!" The little part in him that said it was merely a coincidence died out as he stared at the man in front of him, who stared back with cold, beady eyes.

    "You think I don't know that? I'm sad that it has to happen, but what can I do? I already explained that it's the perfect place to--"

    "You expect me to believe that? You would never care about anyone's well-being. It's not like you to pick the place where there is little people and little bits of land, no matter how good it is there. You would definitely choose where there is lots of people for them to work for you and lots of land to make money." Baekhyun scoffed.

    "What are you trying to say?" Mr. Byun narrowed his eyes.

    "You did it on purpose right? You know who lives there and what they mean to me." Baekhyun meant it. Nana's parents were the very people who had been there for Nana nearly her whole life, providing her with love. They were also the people who had taken care of him without a second thought when he had lost his memory. To him, they were better than his father.

    "I don't know what you're talking about."

    "Shut up! I'm not young to believe in your lies anymore and I won't be affected by your little schemes, father." He spat the last word. Baekhyun, to be honest, was baffled by the man's remote face, but he knew better than that from experience.

    "Oh really?" the old man chuckled. "Even though you may be the CEO of the company, I still have more power than you. No matter what you say, if I want to buy that land. I will. You probably know that better than anyone."

    Oh, Baekhyun did. He knew how easily his father could grasp anything in his hands if he just spoke the words. He knew that he was never one to give in easily even to his own son and wife; he had grown cold after wealth and fame. He knew that as long as his father was alive, he would have things his own way. He knew that the company meant everything to his father. Because of this, he also knew that if he continued to rant to his father, it would lead him nowhere, maybe even to a worse situation. And he hated his father for it.

    "Then what do I have to do in order for you to change your mind?" Baekhyun grit his teeth as he spoke each word.

    Mr. Byun grinned - not a warm smile, but an icy one. "Now, we're finally getting somewhere. Hm, to what extent will you be willing to do in order for me to spare her parents, dear son?"
    
    Baekhyun glared at him, cursing him in his head. "Anything." he whispered, regretfully knowing that it was the only way. He didn't want anyone to be hurt because of him anymore.

    "Anything." his father repeated. "Then next month, I will be preparing a wedding for you and Jessica. Be ready." Mr. Byun smirked.

    Baekhyun stopped breathing the moment he heard it and so did the woman behind the door.