The choice to tell or not tell

Young Romance

 

Baekhyun took a look at his wristwatch and it was time to go back and catch the bus. He didn’t want to wake you up since you looked so peaceful and relaxed. He wanted to stay like that forever. The feeling of have you sleeping on his lap was unexplainable, but he had to wake you up or both of you would lose the bus and get home late. “Hanna? Wake up, we have to go catch the bus.”, he slightly shook your arm and whispered at your ear.

You woke up. Still half-asleep half-awake you blinked and got up from his lap. “Oh god, I was sleeping so well.”, you said still with a dizzy feeling from getting up as you stretched. *Yeah I know, I was so pleased to see you sleeping. I wish that you could sleep longer.*, he grinned.

You left the park and went back to catch the bus. The bus stop was empty, there was no one in there. So it was just both of you waiting for the bus to come.  You could feel that Baekhyun was strange, so you decided to ask him, “What’s wrong? You seem strange.”, he looked at you.

He wasn’t sure about his feelings for you yet but he had the weird feeling which made him feel different when around you. “Hum, no. Nothing’s wrong.”, he replied. You were suspicious about his answer and also about his attitude, “Are you sure? You know you can talk to me. We’re best friends and if you have any problem, I’ll be here to help you.”, you said. He nodded.

You caught the bus and quickly reached Baekhyun’s neighborhood. The bus stopped, he got out and you waved from inside the bus. He gave you a little smile and waved too.

Finally you opened the gate of you house and entered. You put the keys in the lock and pulled the latch. “Mom, I’m home.”, you announced as you always do when you get home from school. You got no answer. You went to the kitchen and your mom wasn’t there. You went upstairs and knocked at door of your parent’s room. As no one answered you entered and your mom wasn’t there also. *Maybe she had to stay working a little more.*, you thought. Your dad was also working so you were alone at home.

 

----- Baekhyun’s POV -----

I got home and went straight to my room. Various thoughts were running through my mind, almost all related to Hanna. *How can I feel like this? She’s my best friend. I can’t fall in love with her. And if she doesn’t feel the same about me? And if she stops talking to me? Gah, I can’t lose her friendship.*, I threw myself on the bed and sighed.

*knock knock knock*, someone knocked on my room’s door. “Yes?”, my mom opened the door and softened when she looked at me. “Hey my sweetheart. I didn’t hear you arriving. How was school?”, she walked towards me. I sat on the edge of the bed. “It went well, it was normal and today I went to the park with Hanna.”, I told her. My mother sat next to me and asked right away, “Oh really? How was it? Did something happen?”, I could feel some excitement from her.

I had always told my mom everything. When I was in love, when I had a girlfriend, in this kind of situations I would tell my mom and ask her for help when I needed.  “It was good. What do you mean?”, I asked a bit confused. Mom gave me a face as if it wasn’t obvious what she was trying to know. “Oh, I got it. No, nothing happened.”, I looked at the floor. If it she was reading my mind she asked, “Do you like her, son?”, I hesitated but I gave up, because I knew my mom would support me and help me.

“Well, she’s my best friend mom.”, I paused “and?”, she asked waiting for me to continue, “I guess … I … like her.”, I sighed. She came near me and embraced me in her arms. “Oh my poor Baekhyun. Let me guess, she doesn’t like you?”, she tries to understand why I was down. I looked at her, “I don’t know mom. I didn’t tell her yet. I just discovered that I like her today, in the park. But I guess I won’t tell her.”, I shook my head. My mom blinked in surprise “Why?”, “Mom, I don’t want to lose her friendship, and if she doesn’t like me? If I tell her, she will stop talking to me and I don’t want that.”, I explained.

She cupped her hands on my cheeks. “Only you know what to do, son. Do whatever your heart tells you to do. Think well. I’m sure she likes you too.  Do you want to be hiding your love for her or you want to take the risk? It’s not going to be easy if you keep that feeling inside and don’t tell her what you feel for her, but it’s not going to be easy if you lose her too. So, think well. I’m sure you’ll do the right thing.”, she came closer and kissed my forehead. “Well, I’ll cook dinner now.  I’ll call you when it’s done.”. She got out of my room and went downstairs.

I knew that this wasn’t going to be a simple choice. I had to think carefully.

----- End of Baekhyun’s POV -----