Shocked

Never Meant to Be

Everyone crowded around the bulletin board which displayed the results in large pieces of papers and bold fonts. Large groups of students were trying to squeeze to the front. Some were tip-toeing trying to steal a glance above the others’ heads. There was also a group of students hovering at the back, afraid to face their results.

Upon seeing their results, some people cheered and ran off delightedly. Their heart work paid off in the end. However, at the same time, they were also students who broke into tears instantly. Their expectations had fallen to the ground and shattered into pieces.

The entire class A walked to the bulletin board together as a group, emitting an aura of confidence. They were the cream of the crop in the school so they had nothing to fear when it comes to results. They were not as uneasy as the rest of the student body. The normal class students looked up to them and if there was really a hierarchy, they were probably the kings and queens. Most of them automatically stepped aside as they walked up to the board.

Min Hee scanned for her name in the scholar list nervously. She was scrolling from the top and her heart sank further and further as she proceeded on to the next name down the list. Finally, she found hers at the very bottom of the list. She was shocked and overwhelmed by the results. The people around her began to fade away and all she could see was “#49. Yoon Min Hee, Class A” Min Hee clenched her fist and held back those forming tears. She did not do well, in the end. She had kind of expected it but a small part of her was still hoping for miracle to happen. She thought she could do better than this at least.

Sunggyu’s eyes widened as he saw Min Hee’s position all the way at the bottom. He felt his heart getting squeezed when he saw her expression. She seemed hurt and really sad. Sunggyu could see slight tears glistening in those brown eyes of hers. He finally decided to walk over to her.

“Min Hee-ah…” Sunggyu started.

“I am out of the top 10.” She cut in.

Sunggyu kept quiet and suddenly, Min Hee began to laugh sadistically. It was the first time she acted like that and Sunggyu was at a loss.

“Sunggyu, I am out of the top 10.” She repeated in a sad tone.  

With her head hanging low, Min Hee walked away. Sunggyu stood there and looked at her walk off. Jieun rushed over to Sunggyu with Sungjong trailing behind her.

“Is Min Hee alright?!” She asked worriedly.

“I don’t think so.” Sunggyu sighed.

He regretted telling her that they would all do fine because he knew he had just raised her hopes even for just a bit. Seeing her walk away and disappear into the crowd, Sunggyu had wanted so much to pull her back and in for a hug. However, the cowardly side of Sunggyu held him back and all he could was see her walk off, devastated.

“She probably needs some time alone.” Sungjong said and Sunggyu merely nodded at his words.

“Yoon Min Hee, you are #49 on the list. Almost out of the scholar list.” She mumbled to herself as she covered her face and cried.

Soon, Min Hee felt someone occupy the space beside her. She knew who it was.

“Sunggyu, you know what? I really feel so horrible…” Min Hee said with her hands still hiding her tear-stained face.

“Because of the results?” he asked.

Min Hee removed her hands and stared at the boy before her.

“It’s you?” She blinked in confusion.

Myungsoo felt a pang at his heart at her words.

“Seems like you are awaiting someone else so I would leave first?” Myungsoo said in an annoyed manner and was about to make a move.

“I didn’t mean it that way. Sorry.” She clarified quickly, not wanting him to misunderstand.

Myungsoo looked back at her before sitting down again. Sitting beside him, Min Hee hurriedly wiped off those tears and leaned back against the wooden chair slightly. She wondered where he appeared from and why he came up to her. Did he know it was her?

“You’re still in the scholar list though.” Myungsoo pointed out.

He was leaning forward, looking straight with his hands clasped together.

“You don’t understand…” She mumbled.

“Tell me so that I will then.” Myungsoo said as he glanced back at her.

She sighed.

“I have always been in the top 10 in the school and everyone expects me to. Since before, I have been studying really, really hard. I am not smart but I am willing to put in double, triple or ten folds the effort to ace it. Now, I feel as if I have always been taking every step so cautiously to stay at the top but I still fell down eventually. I feel so stupid. If it was Sungjong, even if he was late for exams, his grades would probably still be unaffected… I am such an idiot.”  She poured her heart out as a tear rolled down her cheek unknowingly.

Myungsoo continued to stare at her.

“Y-You understand how I feel?” she stared back into his eyes and questioned.

“I do and I don’t.” He answered.

She looked at him in confusion at his vague answer.

“I understand what you are feeling but I don’t understand why you are taking things so hard on yourself. Is studies really everything?” he asked.

“To a student, isn’t studies everything?” she returned the question back to L.

“Are you happy?” Myungsoo asked, without breaking the eye contact.

He genuinely wanted to know this after hearing everything from her. To be frank, he already knew the answer and it surprised him. All this while, he thought she led a perfect life because she was always smiling like she had the best things in the world. He thought everything was all good for her, unlike him. However, it was until today that he realized she had always been living as if she was walking on thin ice.

“No.” She replied truthfully and slowly looked away.

“I am not happy.” She bit her lips as she faced her true feelings.

There was a silence in the air after her confession. None of them uttered another word and all they could hear was the rustling sound from the leaves. The school seemed to have fallen into a dead silence.

“Why?” he finally inquired.

“Have you skipped school before?” Min Hee asked.

Myungsoo nodded.

“Have you played a prank on your teachers before?” Min Hee asked.

Myungsoo nodded again.

“Have you returned home without having to walk to your study desk an hour later?” Min Hee asked.

Myungsoo nodded, yet again.

“You know what? I have done none of that.” She said with another sigh.

“I can let you experience all that...” He began.

She looked up him hopefully and their eyes met for the longest period that time.

“If you would be my girl.” Myungsoo confessed so quickly that she almost missed it.

Time froze. However, a random bird flew to the branch and began chirping merrily away. It brought everything back to reality. At that instant, Min Hee thought her heart was going to burst out from her chest any moment after hearing his words. Myungsoo’s face remained unchanged as he seemed to be waiting for her response. Her face flushed a light shade of pink and she quickly looked away. Myungsoo closed his eyes and bit his lips for allowing those words to leave his mouth so thoughtlessly.

He regretted.  

“I am sorry.” Myungsoo said before walking away.

She stared at him walking away so abruptly, leaving a confused her behind. 

 

Author's Note:
YAY! 'Never Meant to Be' has exceeded 50 subscribers~
A big thank you hug to all of you lovely subscribers (X!
Hope you guys like this chapter(; 
Seems like Myungsoo has finally confessed :DD!
Hope you enjoyed reading and will leave me a comment.(:
Thank you for reading 'Never Meant to Be'. <3