Study Session

Never Meant to Be

“Wow. Someone is early.” Jieun commented sarcastically.

“Pfft.” Sungjong dumped his bag right in front of her.

“HEY!” She protested.

“You’re supposed to be studying.” Sungjong reminded with an evil grin.

“So this will be mine.” He took her phone and kept it in his pocket.

“Meanie!!!” She yelled with both hands in the air.

Secretly, a part of Jieun was smiling on the inside.

“Oh. The three are late.” Sungjong noticed.

“Three?” Jieun asked, raising her brows.

Sunggyu fixed his hair in the window reflection and practiced a smile. A smile which Minhee has once complimented. Tucking his hands in his pockets, Sunggyu walked towards the study session venue. Across the streets, he saw two familiar figures with hands latched together. It was so loving and nauseating. A devil within him wanted to tear them apart.

“S-Sunggyu?” Minhee faltered a little.

“Nice to meet you, Kim Myungsoo.” He flashed him a smile, a little too fake. 

“Same to you.” He answered simply.

“So… Let’s study?” Sungjong stood up and broke the tension culminating in the air.

The study session was really quiet and at the same time, uncomfortable. Jieun fidgeted in her seat uneasily as she poked her lips repeatedly with the ball pen. Sungjong noticed it but he knew she would not ask him for help.

“Minhee-ah, how do I do this?” she asked her.

 “You have been on the same page for the past one hour.” Sunggyu pointed out.

“And you are noticing me. What for?” Myungsoo replied curtly.

“I just thought you need some help.” Sunggyu said as he took his worksheet without permission.

Myungsoo frowned at his actions and Sunggyu scoffed at his questions.

In less than 10 minutes, Sunggyu finished it off and was feeling victorious. He stuffed the worksheet back into Myungsoo’s hands. Then, L’s gaze landed on the scribbled line at the bottom.

Wow. I should have gone to the F class if I knew studies could be this easy.

Myungsoo glared at Sunggyu with unsteady breathing. He felt utterly humiliated at his words and if Minhee wasn’t here, he probably would have thrown a punch at him. Sunggyu whom realized his displeasure merely shrugged and smirked back at him. Crumpling the paper slightly with his forceful grip, Myungsoo took in a deep breath. Looking at Minhee who was still guiding Jieun, he slowly exhaled.

“I need some drink.” L informed and left in big strides.

“Oh. Myungsoo-ah?” Minhee called out but he could not hear anymore.

Sungjong noticed their interaction but did not comment. He pretended to look elsewhere and back at his textbook with random doodles by Jieun during class time.  

“I didn’t mean for Sunggyu to love Minhee this way though.” He thought to himself, troubled.

“I will go find Myungsoo. You guys need anything?” Minhee inquired.

“Apple juice please!” Jieun beamed.

“Alright. The two of you don’t need anything?” she confirmed.

They shook their head. When Minhee left the table, Sunggyu sighed softly.

“Sunggyu, why are you here today?” Jieun asked.

“Why? Can’t I be here?” Sunggyu spoke in a slightly harsh tone.

“Of course not. I mean, you’ve been hanging out with the vocal training guys and all…” She grumbled.

“Yah. Lee Jieun! Are you even here to study?! Enough talking and finish your question.” Sungjong spoke up.

“Ugh. I really hate you Lee Sungjong!” Jieun pouted and made a face at him.

Ignoring the commotion before him, Sunggyu looked in the direction of where Minhee left and wondered why they weren’t back yet.

“Myungsoo-ah, what are you doing here?” Minhee asked.

L looked up at his girlfriend and quickly plastered a smile on his face. She sat down at the bench beside him, kicking her legs back and forth in the air. L offered his canned drink and Minhee gladly took it. However, glancing down at the opening, she couldn’t help but notice this was going to be an indirect kiss. Pushing the ridiculous thought away, Minhee gulped down a mouthful of orange juice.

“Oh. Sorry, I finished it.” She realized.

“It’s okay. There wasn’t much left.” L reassured.

Taking it from her hands, Myungsoo threw the can accurately into the bin.

“Let’s go back.” Minhee said as she played with the apple juice in her hands.

“Wait.” Myungsoo called out.

He crossed his laced his fingers with her and they walked together. Minhee blushed at his sweet actions and smiled at him. Myungsoo returned a warm smile in response. She noticed that every footstep of the two were in sync on their way back. It was amusing. When they returned, Sunggyu heaved a soft sigh of relief and looked up. However, it was met with a lovely scene of the couple swinging their hands casually in the air.

He felt as if an arrow shot right through his heart.

“Kim Sunggyu, are you certain you made the right choice?” he questioned himself.

It would probably have hurt less to run away.


Author's Note:
I have lost a few subscribers but it's alright.
I'm truly honoured to have the rest of you here reading my story.
A quick update because I have the writing feel. <3
Sending out a big thank you hug to all lovely commenters from chapter 25. ^^