Running Away

Never Meant to Be

 

“As usual, we had helped to fill up those ranks in the bottom.” Woohyun said and laughed.

“I improved by one position, overtaking you though.” Sungyeol pointed out and Woohyun made a face at his statement.

“And Myungsoo’s total marks improved by 0.1!” Dongwoo beamed and they all laughed.

L looked up absent-mindedly and saw a certain someone with her usual group smiling away. He gulped down his saliva as he recalled yesterday’s incident. Min Hee turned her head slightly as she felt someone looking in her direction. She realized.

“It’s Kim Myungsoo.” She thought as her heart accelerated for a bit.

Without any warning, Myungsoo spun about and walked off. The boys were left stunned at Myungsoo’s sudden actions but he ignored their calls.

“…Min Hee? Min Hee?” Sunggyu called out.

“A-Ah, yea.” She turned her attention back to him.

“Is anything wrong?” he asked.

“No.” She lied.

“Are you…” He paused.

“Yes, I am feeling better. Thank you, Sunggyu.” She said with a reassuring smile.

Her smile brought a smile to his face too. Since before, Sunggyu had realized that Min Hee had such an effect on him. When she smiled, he smiled. When she cried, he felt his heart getting squeezed to the point that he couldn’t breathe properly. It was amazing how she could affect him in such ways which she probably would never know. Sunggyu sighed again.

“Hey, old man.” Jieun joked when she heard Sunggyu sigh.

“You want me to call you kiddo?” Sunggyu joked as he looked at Jieun.

“YAH!” She yelled and they all burst out laughing.

Later that day, Min Hee had bumped into Myungsoo for several occasions. It occurred when she was carrying the books to the teacher’s office, when she was going for break and when she was walking to the next class. It was so coincidental that it freaked Myungsoo out a little. However, he reacted all the same. He avoided Min Hee by all means. Min Hee hated how he was shunning her, somehow.

“Yah, L. Why are you always disappearing every now and then?” Sungyeol questioned with an annoyed expression.

Sungyeol hated how stupid he looked when he turned around for L’s reply just to realize he was already gone and he had been talking to the space for the past few minutes.

“I…I have diarrhea.” Myungsoo lied.

He wondered why he fabricated such a ridiculous lie but he thought that it seemed to be the most believable one. Sungyeol covered his mouth to prevent himself from laughing out loud.

“L. Diarrhea. Hahahahah.” He still burst out laughing in the end.

Myungsoo gritted his teeth before giving him a deadly stare which shut him up completely. Sungyeol did the “Zip up” action along his mouth and smiled obediently. However, he was dying of laughter on the inside. Then, Myungsoo felt his phone vibrate. He frowned at the message before getting up from his seat.

“Got to go.” He informed.

“To see the doctor?” Sungyeol asked as he his cheeks in to prevent himself from laughing.

“Bye.” L said before leaving.

“See you.” The other boys said while waving with their eyes still glued on their electronics.

Stepping out of school, Myungsoo spotted her. He walked over with his hands in his pocket and bag slung loosely beside him.

“Why are you here?” he asked.

“Don’t you miss me, Myungsoo-ah?” she asked as she blew out a puff of smoke at his face.

“I am asking you why you are here.” Myungsoo repeated himself in an irritated tone.

“Because I miss you.” She said with a simple smile.

Myungsoo leaned against the brick wall and stared into her eyes.

“There is too much homework to be completed for the day…” Min Hee thought as she sighed softly.

Looking up, she noticed a couple outside school or rather it was the boy who caught her attention. She squinted her eyes to have a clearer view, thinking she might have mistaken the guy for L.  

“Kim Myungsoo.” She whispered.

The girl who was in hot pants and long boots dropped the cigarette on the floor. She stepped forward until her lips were less than a centimeter away from Myungsoo’s. Myungsoo did not budge at all but continued looking at her. She smiled seductively at him. Min Hee could not take it anymore. Clenching her fists, she ran away from the site. From the corner of his eye, L spotted a familiar figure run away.

“It’s her.” He thought as he pushed the girl away.

“I don’t understand you anymore. Weren’t you the one who said we are over, a long time ago? Stop looking for me when you had already ditched me for him then.” Myungsoo spat before walking away in big strides.

“Yah! Kim Myungsoo! Don’t you love me?” She screamed but L ignored her.

She was not his concern anymore.

“Yoon Min Hee, where the hell did you go” he thought as he scanned the students at the bus stop.

To: Jieun

I have to rush back home first. Sorry.

“I am home.” Min Hee informed.

“Go bathe, eat and study.” Her mother said strictly.

She was still upset about her grades slipping so drastically until she became #49 in the entire school. What made things worse was her neighbour merrily boasting how her son scored third in his school over the phone and she could only keep mum.  

“I will.” She replied before running upstairs.

Throwing her bag on the ground, Min Hee picked up her teddy bear. Staring at it intently, Myungsoo and the girl’s intimate scene crossed her mind. She gripped on the bear’s arms tightly and looked straight into its black bead eyes.

“So you are playboy after all…”

“One second telling someone you like her and the next, you go off flirting with another girl.” She scolded in an upset manner before throwing the bear back onto the bed.

Grabbing some comfy clothes, Min Hee entered the bathroom. She switched on the shower tap and stepped into the running water. Steam filled the bathroom and some water vapour condensed on the glass surface. She was soaked in an environment well-fitting for thoughts. As those water droplets pelted down on her, many thoughts filled her mind.

“The girl makes a great beauty without such heavy make-up actually…” She thought as she rinsed her hair.

“Esh. Yoon Min Hee, why are you so affected by them?” she questioned herself as she forced herself to stop thinking.

The answer to her question was obvious- she liked him too.

 

Author's Note:
I had the most comments from this story with the last chapter and I am really happy. (:
Therefore, I typed another update. Hoho. 
I guess you guys are probably disappointed with this chapter...
But things will start to pick up from now on, I believe. 
Hope you guys will like and perhaps 
comment 
Frankly speaking, I am not expecting many comments with this chapter because I'm updating the very next day. 
Ah wells. Here you go. 
Hope you are liking 'Never Meant to Be' so far <3...