Better

Never Meant to Be

Minhee felt troubled and suffocated for the entire day. She felt as if a heavy rock was on her chest. The best part was no matter how hard she tried to remove it, it just wouldn’t budge. She knew very well that only the person who had placed it would be able to. Then, she sighed for the umpteenth time of the day. It was the first time she felt this way.

Parting ways with Jieun, Minhee walked back home slowly. She dreaded to return home, plaster on a fake smile and pretend that she wasn’t feeling down.

“Hey.”

Minhee looked up at the boy with a bike in hand. She looked away and attempted to walk past him. However, he grabbed her wrist and pulled her back not too forcefully Her heart told her to stay but her willfulness and dignity said ‘no’. Therefore, she turned her head away.

“What do you wan-”

He turned her head to face him and kissed her. Myungsoo let go of the bike and captured her lips fully. It has always been the best way to shut a girl up and coax her. To his surprise, Minhee pushed him away. Myungsoo jerked back a few steps. He looked up at her girlfriend who burst into tears. For a moment, Myungsoo didn’t know what to do. He was at loss and totally surprised at her actions.

“Myungsoo, I am really disappointed in you.” She stated.

Myungsoo felt a knife dug through his heart. Minhee turned away and just when she was about to leave, he ran up and hugged her from behind.

“I-I am sorry.” He mumbled.  

And the two stayed in that position until their breathing calmed down.

“Shall we talk?” Minhee began.

He looked at her and said nothing.

“Myungsoo, I feel that I don’t know you.” She stated honestly.

Myungsoo swallowed his saliva and watched her tear up.

“You’re always asking me to tell you more about myself. But you never tell me more about yourself. I feel like a clueless idiot here, you know.” She turned away and wiped off those tears.

Myungsoo held back the urge to hold her because he wanted her to continue.

“I feel like you’re just letting me see the Kim Myungsoo you want me to know.” She confessed, staring at his side profile now.

Myungsoo did not respond for a good 15 minutes.

“The real Kim Myungsoo is disgusting.” He finally spoke.

Minhee was taken aback by his response.

“Even if you say so, I still want to know him.” She responded genuinely and held his hand.

Myungsoo turned to her with a smile spread across his face. He hugged her and she allowed him to.  

“What happened that day?” she asked and caressed his injured cheek.

“I got into a fight with some hooligans on my way back home.” He lied.

And she believed him whole-heartedly.

-

 

“Minhee-ah, the exams are coming. Want to go on a study date?” Jieun asked.

“Sure!” She beamed.

“Err, can I bring Myungsoo along? Because I think he will sleep at home.” She explained quickly.

Jieun paused and stared at her for a few seconds.

“Why not?” she finally said with a smug smile.

“Yah! You frightened me!” She punched her lightly in the arm.

“Lee Sungjong, study session tomorrow. Don’t be late.” Jieun said.

“I don’t remember you asking me whether I’m free, Lee Jieun.” Sungjong crossed his arm and replied.

“You? I doubt you have anything on. It’s not like you’ve a girlfriend or anything.” She commented casually.

“And how do you know?” he asked.

Jieun registered his words and the next moment, she spun around in surprise.  

“Y-You have one?!” She blurted out.

Satisfied with her reaction, he leaned down and patted her head.

“Unless you want to be one.” He said with a smirk.

Jieun blushed as Sungjong jumped off the table. Pretending not to be eavesdropping, Minhee was smiling secretly at the two.  

“Just kidding, Lee Jieun!” Sungjong yelled as he walked out of class.

“YAHHHHHHH!” She yelled in exasperation.

It felt so real.

-

“Want to go for study session together?” Sungjong asked.

“Just like before?” Sunggyu questioned.

“You don’t want to?” he returned the question.

Seems like no one wants to answer.

“Want to... talk about her?” Sungjong asked.

Sunggyu frowned and sighed.

“I promise not to tell anyone. We’re best friends, right?” Sungjong continued.

It appeared that Sunggyu needed a pair of listening ears so badly.

“Sungjong, I tried...”

“I tried avoiding her, avoiding you and even Jieun.” Sunggyu began to spill his heart.

“But still I always find myself looking for Minhee. And when I see her, it hurts so much. I feel like an idiot, hurting alone here but I cannot just snap out of it. I hate myself.” Sunggyu confessed and hit his head repeatedly.

“Then love her.” Sungjong provided a solution.

He knew he shouldn’t say this but he still did.

“If you cannot avoid those feelings, let it be.” He elaborated.

Sunggyu looked up at his best friend whom smiled at him.

The two exited the café and before they parted ways, Sunggyu spoke.

“I’ll go tomorrow.” He said.

“By the way, Sunggyu, I think… Myungsoo would be going.” Sungjong warned.

“Even better.” Sunggyu added.

 

Author's Note:
Hello there! I hope you guys would like this chapter :).
'Never Meant to Be' is going to be my longest fic up to date.
I sincerely hope I'm not boring you readers out and no worries, it will not be that long.
I'm grateful for those who are still reading and especially to you loyal commenters. <3
It really spurs me to write an update. (: Thank you.
Ending this author's note here so as usual, do comment to make my day?^^