Love Triangles

Never Meant to Be

The mass of crowd gathered once again before the bulletin board, anxious eyes in search of their own names. Some silently smirked at the sight of their most hated rivals ranking beneath them while there were others wishing they had worked extra hard. It did not take long for Myungsoo to find his name near the bottom of the list, yet again. The only difference was this time, he had started searching for his name starting from the start of the scroll.

With hope comes disappointment and Myungsoo thought he was perhaps indeed lacking. The feeling he was experiencing was something even Myungsoo himself couldn’t put his finger on. It was more than disappointment he was feeling, he thought. He walked away from the crowd, right past his group of friends.

“It’s the same, before and now.” He told himself.

But the images of his hard work for the past weeks came haunting back like mockery. Myungsoo knew it was more than his chemistry exams that dragged him down. It was more than his darned father screwing this outcome he sees on the board. After all, he wasn’t a cut out for studies. He wasn’t born smart like those in the A class.

 

To: Myungsoo

Are you free today?

 

To: Minhee

No.

 

Myungsoo knew Minhee probably took more than seconds of courage to text him. Myungsoo predicted that she would be really sad over his flat rejection. Myungsoo knew it was their chance to make up but Myungsoo still rejected his girlfriend all the same. Because he felt ashamed of himself all of a sudden before her.

Today, Myungsoo wished he was like Sunggyu.

“Want to go out together?” Jieun popped up from nowhere.

Minhee smiled, keeping her phone away. Sunggyu could tell the smile was faked and he thought he knew the reason. A bitter feeling refused to fade away at the sight of her acting like this.

“Where are we going?” Minhee asked.

Her tone carried an attempt to be excited, Sungjong noticed too.

“Maybe… The eatery we always frequent?! Or to the Myeongdong streets? Or maybe we can catch that movie I’ve always wanted to watch, kekeke…” Jieun listed excitedly.

The group of four ended up being dragged by Jieun to do everything she has listed. Sungjong had tried protesting but this time, Jieun won over him. He couldn’t help but smile at her cuteness when she turns her back on him.

Sunggyu walked up beside Minhee from time to time, striking up conversations. And it hurt Sunggyu to realize Minhee’s replies were half-hearted because her other half of her heart belonged elsewhere. Sunggyu sometimes wish he did not comment on that random happening on the streets because he felt desperate and pathetic when silence sinks in. He was glad when the group entered the dark theaters for the silence was finally right.

Sungjong heard whimpers from his right and it didn’t take him long to react. Discreetly, he dug into his bag and handed a packet of tissue to Jieun. The girl in tears stared at Sungjong’s unmoving side profile for a moment before accepting his kind gesture. Her heart was pounding madly but she kept a straight face, just like him. A subsequent smile broke out on her tear-stained face as the show continued.

Sunggyu was not surprised that Minhee didn’t cry because her mind was probably not on the show. He was silently counting the number of times she had taken her phone out and stared at the lock screen. The notification she had wanted to see all this time did not appear. And he wished he could grab the phone out of her hand because Sunggyu merely wanted her to act like she wasn’t Kim Myungsoo’s girlfriend when she was by his side(even if it was just a while).  

“It’s late. I’ll walk the crybaby home.” Sungjong announced, not looking at Jieun.

“I’ll bring Minhee back then.” Sunggyu replied.

“Hey. I am not a crybaby and I don’t need you wimpy boy to bring me home!” Jieun protested.

“Let’s go, you idiot.” Sungjong cut her off and walked on.

“I am not an idiot, you fool!” She yelled as she trailed behind him.

“Shall we?” Sunggyu asked with a slight smile.

“Ah yea.” Minhee responded.

The walk home was quiet and Sunggyu did not attempt to break the silence this time. He took in controlled deep breaths from time to time. Looking at Minhee, Sunggyu wished he had the courage to grab the free hand of the girl beside him in the past. If he had acted sooner, Kim Myungsoo wouldn’t have the chance. Sunggyu regretted his lack of courage more and more as days passed.

“I’ve reached.” Minhee informed.

“Thank you for sending me back, Sunggyu. You should hurry home too.” She said with a smile, brighter than the moon.

“I am a man, don’t worry.” Sunggyu joked.

“I know.” She laughed at his declaration.                               

Her words stabbed at Sunggyu’s heart and he felt his mind being clouded.

“I thought you never see me as one.” Sunggyu suddenly said as he took one step forward.

Minhee held her breath for a moment at the turn of events. He could feel her breath against his face and her tense body was evident. Sunggyu awkwardly laughed his actions off, patting her head. She would see it as a friendly act, he knew.

“Bye.” Sunggyu said with a wave, backing away.

“Bye.” She responded gullibly.

 

“Wrong courage, Sunggyu. Very wrong. Kim Sunggyu, when exactly will you stop?” A voice from within questioned Sunggyu.

 

The next day at school and people were still talking about results. The F class couldn’t care less but the gang was still watchful of L’s actions. He seemed to be over it but everyone knows he was still affected.

“Yo bro.” Sungyeol fist bumped L’s shoulder.

“Hey.” L replied.

“You look like a dead cat.” Sungyeol said randomly.

L laughed a little at his friend’s joke and attempted a failed deadly glare. It felt good to have his best friend not angry at him anymore. And he knew that was what friends were for. He wasn’t going to rub salt at his wound but instead, he would tend to it. Myungsoo bit back the urge to thank his best friend because the rest who were on looking were going to say he’s gay. And that was the last thing a man wants to be called.

“Everyone listen up.” The form teacher of the F class walked in.

“We’ve a new student.” The class became less rowdy as the students became curious.

“Her name is…”

The form teacher eyed at the girl’s nametag momentarily.

“Bae Suji. A round of applause to welcome our new student.”

 Myungsoo unfolded his arms and stared as the new girl entered class. Her skirt was shorter than normal, obviously altered. She had long, straight hair and she carried a mysterious vibe. The new girl stood at the front of the class with a smile on her face. Some of the boys in the class wolf-whistled, earning glares from the homeroom teacher. Myungsoo met eyes with her and he thought her smile grew wider. Breaking the eye contact, Myungsoo looked at his phone.  

“You may call me Suzy too. And to the boy at the back…”

Everyone turned their heads to the back, following Suzy’s gaze, pairs of eyes landed on Myungsoo. At the silence, Myungsoo kept his phone and realize he had become the center of attention when he looked up.

“I think I am interested in you already.”

Woohyun nodded approvingly at the new girl’s courage. L rolled his eyes at her statement. The F class cheered louder than ever at the new girl’s proud declaration. Sungyeol nudged Myungsoo under the table when Suzy continued staring at Myungsoo.  

“Crazy.” Myungsoo remarked out loud, looking back at Suzy.

Then, Myungsoo thought he saw her mouthing back ‘Over you’.

 

Author's note

I typed this chapter a few days back but I didn't finish it up until today.
Hope you readers would like the new chapter and sorry the slow updates~ orz