Complications

Never Meant to Be

Minhee sighed fondly at the boy before her. She couldn’t remember when it was when he caught her eyes, when he said he liked her, when she doubted his sincerity, when they got together, when everything became so amazing that it felt like a dream. A beautiful dream which seem so perfect and surreal.    

“How could he sleep right under the ‘Do not sleep’ sign?” she thought to herself, amused.

“Yah. Myungsoo-ah.” She whispered as she tapped his arm.

 Myungsoo shifted and made weird chuckling noises. She continued to tap and call him, not wanting to be caught by the librarian. Finally, Myungsoo surrendered with his right hand shot up.

“Five more minutes.” He mumbled groggily.

She laughed at his cuteness and gave up waking him up.  Two hours passed and the clouds outside had cleared. The sun was glowing in a light shade of orange, painting the sky carelessly. Stretching her hands in the air, Minhee yawned tiredly. She glanced down at Myungsoo who was still lying on the book which she told him to read. Packing up, Minhee laid on the table too. Staring at him, she fell asleep. Myungsoo opened his eyes to find an angel before him. It felt so blissful at that moment and he didn’t want to wake up either. Myungsoo recalled how his mother had once told him about how some beautiful things don’t last.  

 

“Myungsoo-ah, always remember that some things which are beautiful don’t last forever, alright? Only if you keep this in mind, it won’t hurt so much to lose it.” His mother the little boy’s curly hair and said.

He looked up at his parent with the pair of round, innocent eyes.

“You’ll understand what I mean one day.”

And so he did.

That one fateful day, the grey-haired lady attempted to call out to her son again. However, her illness was acting up. She clutched her chest for breath, for hope. Darkness was sinking in as she tried her best to fight it away. She was not ready to leave but she heard Lucifer calling so she closed her eyes and made some prayers. She prayed for her son to grow up well, to find a girl he love and for his beautiful things to last forever, contrary to what she said and not fall apart like herself. She prayed so hard, so hard that it sapped out all her energy left within…

 

“Umma.” Myungsoo called out as he sat up.

Tears were b at the sides of his eyes as those memories returned. Myungsoo clenched his fists as he felt himself shaking a little. Then, someone wrapped her fingers around his fist. Minhee looked at him, both confused and worried. Before she could ask, Myungsoo reassured that he was fine.

“But you don’t look fine, Myungsoo.” She said as she touched his forehead.

He pushed her hand away gently and forced a smile.

“I am fine, Minhee-ah. Don’t worry.” He reassured.

“Alright.” She nodded. 

Myungsoo sent Minhee to her doorstep and left. Minhee glanced at the back of her boyfriend vanishing down the streets. Unlike usual, he didn’t turn back once to wave at her who was waiting by the windows. Sometimes, Minhee wished she could see through Myungsoo’s mind.

Stopping before the door left ajar, Myungsoo placed his hands in his pocket. He put on a strong front and tough look before entering. The moment he stepped into the house, he was welcomed with a punch on his initially flawless face. It was so harsh and sudden. However, he still smirked at the man before him, unfazed by his actions. The man scoffed and pushed him up against the wall.

“Where is the money?” he demanded.

“As you see, there is no money left in this house.” He spat at the elder.

“Son of a .” He cussed and kicked him in his stomach.

Myungsoo fell over, clutching onto his stomach. Tears threatened to fall but he did not give them the permission to. He wanted to fight back so much because the bastard had just called his mother a . He really wanted to do so but he still held himself back. He clenched his fists so hard that his knuckles turned white. Kicking those strewn clothes away, the man was about to leave.

“I don’t have a father like you!” Myungsoo looked down and said.

He stopped walking.

“I don’t have a father whom gambled away my mother’s hospital fees when she was lying on her death bed! I don’t want a bastard like you as my father! You heard me?!” He shouted so hard that he squeezed out all the air in his lungs.  

The man walked out of the house, yet again.

Sitting amidst the mess, Myungsoo cried. He cuddled in a corner and let those defenses fall. Crying into his knees, he felt like he was twelve years old all over again. The 12 years old useless and weak Kim Myungsoo who only knew how to cry.

If only those tears could do better than this…

The sun was hung high up in the sky, announcing its presence to every being beneath it. Myungsoo wondered if it was really a star because it did not exactly look like one. Pushing those random thoughts away, Myungsoo waved and walked over to the members with his bag slung loosely.

“What happened to you?!” Sungyeol was the first to ask.  

“He came back to ask for money.” Myungsoo explained.

“He beat you up again?” Woohyun confirmed.

Myungsoo nodded and forced a smile.

“Not the first time anyways. Okay, it’s getting irritating. Let’s drop the topic. ” He said simply as if it was nothing.

Dongwoo silently counted the wounds inflicted on L while Hoya sighed softly. Minhee saw the gang from afar and so she ran over to them. Jieun and Sungjong who were busy bickering did not notice Minhee’s disappearance.

“Myungsoo!” She beamed.

Her smile faded upon seeing a band aid on his face. She registered all those obvious wounds on him.

“W-What happened to you?” she asked.

“I-I just so happen to fall.” He lied.

“Liar. This is clearly being beaten up by someone.” She corrected him sternly.

Before he could say anything, she continued, “You got into a fight, didn’t you?”

He frowned at her tone used because for a moment, he felt accusation instead of concern.  

“It doesn’t matter.” He said with a poker face on.

“Doesn’t matter?” she repeated his words with a hint of disappointment.

He remained silent.

“Take it that I didn’t ask then.” She said before turning around.

Keeping a straight face, Minhee walked back to her friends.

“Minhee-ah.” Jieun called out but she merely walked past them.

“Your girlfriend is angry.” Woohyun pointed out blankly.

“I can tell.” He replied.

“And you’re not doing anything about it?” Woohyun inquired.

Myungsoo sighed.

 

Author's Note:
Hey guys! I am so sorry for taking this long to update this fic because I've lost touch for a moment.
Hope this chapter is acceptable and do comment if you've anything to comment about. <3
Thank you so much for reading 'Never Meant to Be' and patiently waiting for my slow update.
It's the holidays so you guys will most probably not have to wait too long for the next chapter!
I am tired so I'll be sleeping... Goodnights. <3