Mid-Term Examinations

Never Meant to Be

For the next few days, most of the students were studying hard for their mid-term examinations. Some hoped to excel, some hoped to pass while others can’t exactly be bothered. Min Hee, just like the others in class A, belonged to the first category. She had been revising really hard, hoping to top the school’s scholar chart.

Up till the eve of exams, she was still sitting before her study desk trying to commit everything to memory. Unlike people like Sung Jong, she was not the extremely smart type. All her good results came from her hard work and diligence.

“I am tired…” She mumbled as she supported her head.

Her eye lids were closing but she shook her head to stay awake. She was still not done with revision although it was past midnight already.

“You can do this, Yoon Min Hee.” She told herself and straightened her back.

“Min Hee-ah! Don’t you have exams at 7am?!” A familiar voice exclaimed in shock.

“Huh?” Min Hee rubbed her eyes in confusion as she rose from her study desk.

“It is 6.45am already!!!” Her mother shouted and pointed at her alarm clock.

“Oh my gosh.” She screamed as she shot up from her seat.

“I am late?!” Min Hee double checked the time again and became wide awake the next moment.

Throwing her pencil case, student card and wallet into her bag, Min Hee hurriedly slipped into her uniform. Not bothering to check herself in the mirror or grab a bite, she ran out of the house. Standing by the road, Min Hee was desperately trying to hail a cab to school but it was as if all the Taxis were playing a trick on her. All cabs appeared to be either hired or booked. She frowned as she checked her watch for the umpteenth time.

As if purposefully arranged, the bus which goes to her school arrived at the bus stop. Taking a last look at the road which had no available cabs in sight, Min Hee decided to board the bus. Sitting down at the seat closer to the exit, she continued glancing at her watch in every few seconds.

“Yoon Min Hee, you pabo! How can you oversleep on the day of the Mid-term English paper?” She hit her head and scolded herself.

Once the bus stopped at her destination, Min Hee alighted and started to sprint in the direction of her school. To make things worse for her, the school from the bus stop was a good 15 minutes’ walk. She was already late by half an hour when the paper was a mere two hours.

“I studied so hard for this mid-term test and everything is screwed up!” She thought to herself.

At this point of time, she felt all screwed up and exasperated. Stopping in her track, Min Hee bent over to catch her breath from all the running.

“I am dead meat.” She mumbled to herself as sweat droplets fell to the ground.

“Hop on.”

Looking up in surprise, she met eyes with Myungsoo who was on his bike.

“I…”

“Aren’t you late for your English paper?” he continued.

Without him having to say another word, Min Hee immediately accepted his offer. Myungsoo continued pedaling leisurely but when he felt Min Hee checking her watch yet again, he started to pick up the pace.  

“Hold onto me.” He warned before accelerating.

Min Hee jerked backwards and held onto his shoulders in response. She then shifted such that she was holding onto more of his blazer. He smirked in response to her action and continued to cycle faster and faster in the direction of school.

“Go ahead first.” He said simply when they finally reached.

“Thank you!” She said before running off in the direction of her class.

“When did you become such a busybody, L?” he asked himself as he parked his bike.

Keeping his bicycle key in the pocket, L walked slowly to the F class for his exam paper.

“What was the subject tested again?” L thought to himself as he scratched his head.

“Min Hee-ah, why were you so late today?!” Ji Eun asked after the paper ended.

“I overslept.” Min Hee said.

“Did you finish the paper?” Sunggyu asked worriedly.

She shook her head in response and Sungjong patted her back.

“It won’t be too bad.” He reassured.

“Hope so…” She said with another forced smile.

She knew better how well she fared during the paper especially with all the blanks left because of the lack of time. She sighed inwardly, dreading the results. She could only hope for the best since there was nothing else she could do. Then, she spotted Myungsoo laughing along with his friends as they exited the class. The two met eye to eye.

“I wonder if he did well…”

“I wonder if she did well…”

 

Author's Note:
Hello everyone! I am so sorry for not updating for such a long time because I was really busy with school.
However, my long awaited holidays have finally arrived so I will be updating more regularly! ^^
Hope you guys have enjoyed reading this new chapter and will comment below :DD!
Please comment to motivate me to keep the updates coming, alright? (:
Thank you for reading 'Never Meant to Be' ! <3