Wait.

Never Meant to Be

 

Students from the different classes started streaming into the assembly ground. Students from the F class were all yawning and dragging their foot reluctantly. Throwing their bags on the floor, they sat down with a thud.

“Why do we have to go school, seriously?” Woohyun asked and yawned.

“Because our parents, our teachers and the nation want us to.” Hoya answered with a sigh.

 “Education is stupid.” Woohyun said as he stifled another yawn.

“I agree.” People around Woohyun answered together.

Woohyun made a mental note to speak softly the next time.  

“On the dot.” Sungyeol remarked as the bell rang on time.

L was walking lazily behind Sungyeol as he plopped himself down on the concrete ground. His eyes were evidently still in sleepy mode. If not for Sungyeol pulling him all the way from the bicycle area, he would have been late again. After the national anthem and flag raising, announcements were made.

“Testing, testing.” The discipline master spoke into the mike.

He then handed the microphone politely to the principal who was dressed in black.

“He looks like he’s going for a funeral.” Dongwoo commented senselessly causing the others to laugh.

Some of the teachers glared in the direction of the F class, causing them to tone down a little.

“So the results for our yearly ‘A Piece of Love Writing Contest’ are out! Aren’t you excited?”

Awkward silence followed after his question. The teachers took the lead and began clapping. The other students joined in the cheer reluctantly.

“Now, I am going to announce the winners.” He began.

“In third place, we have Lee Byung Hun from B Class.”

The shy boy made his way to the podium and bowed down politely. He then read out his work, occasionally stumbling over a few words. Of course, some students made fun of him during his recital as a result. Then, he rushed back to his class as if he was running for his life.

“Now, announcing the second place… Oh, we have someone from the A class here. It’s Yoon Min Hee from class A.” The principal announced.

Min Hee jumped a little in shock and congratulatory messages rang around her. With a shy smile, she walked up to the principal. L perked up, hearing her name. He was never this awake for morning assembly. After receiving the small token and shaking hands with the principal, Min Hee smiled. She walked up to the microphone stand awkwardly and held up her paper.

“The title of my entry is ‘For they were in love’.” She said with an awkward smile.

Members of the A class cheered out loud for their classmate and Myungsoo found himself clapping unknowingly.

“Forward moving time crawled before them

Forty seconds worth of courage spoken

Foggy thoughts clouded her confused mind

Four words finally said with relief

She said ‘I love you too’

For they were in love, differences cease to matter.”

Looking up from her paper, Min Hee felt like she was trembling on the inside. Then, she met eyes with an intense stare from the other side of the parade ground. It was L. And he was smiling.

“For they were in love, differences cease to matter.” Myungsoo repeated to himself softly and smiled.

Min Hee hurried down the stage, shaking her head to clear her mind of some thoughts.

“And in first place, we have Sang Soojin from the A class.”

Woohyun’s face changed when he heard her name. He tried to keep a straight face but it was hard. Taking out his phone, he began to fiddle with it. He was not doing anything actually but he had to do something. L looked at the girl grinning from ear to ear and back at his good friend. The smile he had on previously vanished. It was like splashing ice cold water on a burning fire the very next instant.

“Nam Woohyun, no handphones during assembly.” Their homeroom teacher scolded.

With her hand outstretched, she signaled for him to hand it over.

“Sorry cher, I won’t do it again.” Woohyun apologised with a cheeky smile before sliding it into his pockets again.

He had recovered.

-

“Says the one who said she don’t know what to write, huh?” Sunggyu teased.

“I really, really was stuck the other time!” Min Hee explained nervously.

“Relax. I’m just joking with you. Congratulations.” Sunggyu said as he patted her back.

“Thanks.” She smiled.

“You’re welcome.”

With that, Sunggyu’s eyes turned into thin slits once more.

-

The teacher for the period was absent. Class F began to wreak havoc as usual. Loud music was blasting from the school speakers with a student’s IPOD connected to it. The group was sitting at the back of the class, half-dead. They were all tired. Perhaps it was because it’s the first day of the week. Monday is always the worst.

“Sungyeol,” L called.

“Bwoh?” Sungyeol turned to him.

“I am scared.” Myungsoo confessed softly.

“Huh?” Sungyeol scratched his head in confusion.

“Nothing.” Myungsoo said before dropping his head on the table.

“Why don’t I feel better even after saying it out?” he thought to himself.

He was still waiting for her reply. He hated the wait. He wondered whether her entry had a special meaning. Was it a reply? Was he thinking too much? Does she feel the same way? Endless thoughts crossed Myungsoo’s mind since morning. He really hated the wait because it made him scared.  

But good things are worth the wait. 

 

Author's Note: 
Hello guys! Sorry for the short update. Please dont't kill me. *Surrenders* 
Heh. (X I'll see whether I can update again before school starts.
Sigh...I don't wanna school to start but it is starting in 2 days' time. ); 
Oh. Anyway, i
f any of you readers are writers who want to show off your writing skills, do check out this awesome ongoing contest:

Christmas All Year Round Writing Contest ! 

Hehe...There are two stories which I hope you would check out too ^^ :
(The authors to these stories placed first and second in my writing contest so I guess something good would be awaiting you behind the link. Do give it a try, alright? Thanks.)

Going Crazy

Twelve Men in a Year

Pardon me for all the advertising and don't forget to comment, okay? :D