Meeting

Never Meant to Be

The phone was vibrating non-stop on the table surface as if it was yelling for its owner. Her perfectly manicured fingers traced over the phone screen, wondering who the caller was. The bold words with a heart and intimate contact picture had given away an obvious answer though. She could not believe how oblivious she was towards her.

“Mum.” Minhee called out uncertainly.

“Who is this ‘Myungsoo’?” she questioned, eyes not leaving her phone alert.  

“H-He is my…my…” She paused, fists clenched behind her back nervously.

“Boyfriend?” she suggested.

Minhee’s eyes widened at her words and she could seemingly feel her blood freeze in her veins. For a moment, she felt like a prisoner in court trial, waiting for a verdict to be laid. Snapping out of her daze, she nodded slightly. From that moment onwards, she braced herself for scolding along the lines of how a student should not date and ought to focus on her studies. Her mother wouldn’t approve of them, she thought.  

“Let me meet him.” She said.

Minhee lifted her head, staring at her mother with confusion hidden behind her gaze.

“Don’t worry. I won’t eat your little boyfriend up.” Her mother joked lightly, patting her tense shoulder.

With those words, she closed the door behind her.

“Myungsoo.”  

“Minhee, you didn’t pick up my call just now.”

“I-I was in the bath.”

“What happened? Why do you sound so off?”

“M-Myungsoo, my mum wishes to meet you.”

There was a long pause when none of them spoke.

“When?”

“Tomorrow.”

-

Minhee thought her mother wouldn’t wish to meet Myungsoo.

 

Minhee thought Myungsoo wouldn’t agree to come for dinner.

 

Minhee thought things wouldn’t turn out too badly tonight.

 

 “What would mum think of Myungsoo? After all, h-he…” She paused, disallowing herself from thinking further.

The doorbell rang and at the very instant, Minhee sprang up from her seat and rushed towards the door. She did not want her mother to meet Myungsoo before she did. Behind the door, she hurriedly fixed her casual dress. When she opened the door, it revealed a Myungsoo dressed up really nicely. He wore a buttoned up checkered shirt and black pants. Minhee felt slightly fluttery when she saw Myungsoo appearing like this. She noticed that today, he did not use his usual gel to spike up his hair but instead, letting them fall naturally. He looked like a 100 marks student right now and she couldn’t help but smile and make a mental note to next time.

“Omo. He’s here?”

The voice knocked Minhee back to her senses.

“Hello. My name is Kim Myungsoo. Nice to meet you.” Myungsoo bowed politely.

Her mother smiled at the fine-looking man before her and accepted his small basket of fruits.

“Do take a seat at the dining table while I keep the fruits.” She replied.

Myungsoo noticed the smile on her face.  

It felt fake.

“Won’t you eat more? I’ve prepared this specially for you.” She said, placing some fish in his bowl.

Myungsoo bowed in gratitude as he dug in.

“So Myungsoo, I suppose you attend the same high school as Minhee?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, what class are you from? I didn’t see you around during the festival when class A had their booth. By any chance, class B?”

“…I am from the class F.” Myungsoo replied.

Minhee flinched when she saw her mother’s smile fading away. Myungsoo noticed it too.

“Class F?” she confirmed.

He nodded with a plastered smile, disliking how she was just the same.

“Ah, I see. So what are your parents working as?” she continued, picking a vegetable from her plate.

Myungsoo stopped eating when he heard her question.

“Go on, Myungsoo. Tell her your mother passed away because her operation fees were gambled away by a certain bastard. And that bastard is none other than your gamble addict father who has violence inclination. Tell her all of this. Go on ahead.”  

Myungsoo could hear a voice in his mind laughing away.  

“I am sorry but I don’t feel comfortable answering that. And I would appreciate if you stop asking such personal questions.”

Her mother almost choked on her rice at Myungsoo’s answer. She slowly put down her chopsticks and studied the boy before her once more. Minhee fidgeted in her seat uncomfortably when she saw her mother’s look. She did not look good at all.

“I am right, after all.” She thought.

“Minhee, would you please come over for a while?” she said.

With that, she left the dining table and went to the living room. Minhee shot Myungsoo a concerned glance and he nodded, telling her to go on ahead. When she was out of sight, Myungsoo dropped the spoon. Minhee followed her mother to the living room in small, quick steps. There, she gulped down her ball of saliva stuck in . The thick air around her was suffocating and as she waited for her mum to speak, it felt like forever.  

“Kindly tell me what you like about your boyfriend who is from the F class with dubious family background?” she blurted out, obviously upset.

“Mum!” Minhee protested against her choice of words.

“Yoon Minhee, I am telling you now that I’m not at all satisfied with your little boyfriend.” She said sternly, not bothering whether Myungsoo could hear.

“Mum, I am old enough to make my decision. I chose Myungsoo as my boyfriend and I hope you respect my decision. Please.”

Her mother was dumb-founded. For the first time, her daughter spoke up against her like this. As a mother, she felt like she was losing it. The pain of seeing her well-mannered daughter rebel like this was like having her own pet dog bite the hand she fed it with. She was really infuriated and Minhee could tell. However, she was not going to apologize.  

“Listen. I am really disappointed in you, Minhee. Tell your little boyfriend that I am not going to sit on the same table and finish this dinner with him anymore!” Her mother shouted before exiting the door with her bag.

When the wooden door slammed and locked itself, Minhee dropped herself on the couch with tears streaming down her face. Myungsoo who was overhearing their conversation since the start walked out from his hiding. Seeing her shoulders tremble uncontrollably accompanied by whimpers made Myungsoo guilty. However, more than guilt, he was struck by realization.

He realized only today.

“The students. Our classes. Sunggyu. And now, even her mother.” Myungsoo mentally listed out.

He felt like laughing how he took so long just to see this simple fact that nothing was going in their way and proving to them one thing: They were never meant to be. Walking over to the girl he loved and wished to hold forever, he squatted down before her. Minhee slowly lifted her face when she felt his warm hands on hers.

“I-I’m sorry you have to see this.” She mumbled.

“It’s my fault.” He tried to smile but failed.

“No, how can this be your fault?” she cried harder at his words.

Myungsoo brought her face to his shoulder and a weak smile graced his lips.

“Because I am not good enough.” He whispered soundlessly.

 

 

 

 

Author's Note:
Hello guys!
I am back to school and because first week of school was killing me, I couldn't update until today.

Sorry about that and hope you guys like this chapter! <3 Do comment/ subscribe? ^^
AND OMG, INFINITE MAN IN LOVE SEVENTH WIN!<3333
Inspirits! Let's party~ !!! :DDD

Out of curiousity, I created a poll...
"Who do you ship?"