Finding Back

Never Meant to Be

Minhee was climbing up the spiral staircase and panting slightly. She glanced up at the flight of stairs ahead and sighed heavily. The walk up to class felt more quiet and lonely now. She began to miss those times when the four of them were climbing back to class together. She missed Jieun and Sungjong fighting and shoving around, occasionally bumping into her. She missed how Sunggyu would yell at them as if he was a real grandfather scolding his grandchildren.

She didn’t know what to do to return everything to its past state.

Minhee doubted her eyes for a moment when she saw Jieun climbing downstairs. She noticed the stack of books in her hands and she figured she was heading to her lockers. It was her habit to keep everything during break. She hated the dismissal crowd when school ended. Minhee could feel Jieun’s gaze land on her. Looking away, Minhee bit her lower lip. She guessed that she probably didn’t want to talk to her so she continued making her way up.

“Are you really gonna simply walk past me like strangers?” Jieun spoke up.

Minhee turned around and met eyes with her. Nervously, she made her way down to where Jieun was standing. She looked away and avoided Minhee’s gaze.

“J-Jieun.” Minhee called out as she reached out for her arm.

She softened at her best friend’s touch and tears welled up in her eyes. Minhee smiled when she knew she had forgiven her deep inside.

 “Bad girl.” She scolded as she hit her arm softly.

Upon seeing her best friend cry, Minhee cried too. Like two little girls yearning for comfort, they hugged. There are things in life which you wouldn’t know you can’t do without until you lose them. And friendship is one of those.

The two girls returned to class together after Jieun placed her books back in her locker. The rest of class A watched on upon witnessing the suspicious scene before them. Defiantly, Jieun titled her head and glared back at them. The rest began judging and speculating at her actions. She knew she had gotten on their bad side now but she couldn’t be bothered. It was the least of her concern since before.

 All the time, she only cared about Minhee’s well-being. She was simply afraid that she would get her heart torn apart just like how other kingkas did to other simple-minded girls. However, as time passed, Jieun had watched Minhee. She was happy but at the same time, worried. And as her best friend, she had learnt to be by her side even when the whole world decided to be on the other. At the same time, Minhee knew Jieun was still not receptive towards Myungsoo but patching back with her was already good enough as for now. Sungjong smiled seeing them walk towards him.

“Hmmmm…Seems like some crybaby had just cried.” Sungjong teased as he looked to Jieun.

She threatened to hit him but he didn’t respond, knowing very well she wouldn’t. At that moment, Sunggyu stepped in. He witnessed the scene and guessed the happenings. Soon, he would be the only one against her relationship, he realized. Sungjong was going to follow Jieun’s decision, after all. Frowning, Sunggyu looked away coldly and settled himself at a faraway seat. Minhee wanted to wave because she thought they made eye contact. However, she merely saw Sunggyu turned away and joined the other guys from his vocal training.

She missed him, too.

After school, the group (without Sunggyu) walked towards the school gate. Myungsoo stopped leaning against the fences when he spotted them. Turning away nervously, he walked out of school and hid behind the school walls. Soon, he reappeared again. Minhee smiled when she noticed his shirt tucked in. He rubbed his nape nervously before making his way up to them.

“Hi, I am Kim Myungsoo.” He introduced himself awkwardly.

“Lee Jieun.” She reported her name with raised brows.

She thought the boy before him didn’t seem like the normal Kim Myungsoo everyone rumoured about. He looked more like an awkward turtle before them.

“Lee Sungjong.” Sungjong thought he was supposed to say his name so he did.

“Hi.” he couldn’t find the right word to say.

Minhee pressed her lips together, thinking of how she can take her leave.   

“You two can go ahead first.” Jieun said, not removing her scrutinizing gaze off Myungsoo.

“Okay, see ya tomorrow!” Minhee waved them off and left with Myungsoo trailing beside her.

He found it totally awkward but he supposed he should get used to her friends, just like how she did to his gang. It was all part of the process, he thought. Moreover, he was more than happy to see her hanging out with her close friends again.

“How is class today?” he asked.

“Fine.” She replied simply.

They remained silent for a moment until Minhee beamed, “Myungsoo, I am really happy today!”   

“I can tell. It’s all written over your face.” He pointed out.

“Not asking why I am this happy?” she asked, slightly puzzled.

He shook his head and simply smiled.

“I know it all, Minhee.” He thought.

-

“Yah. It’s boring, can’t you just entertain me?” Sungjong poked her from behind.

Jieun attempted to ignore him but he kept on pestering her. Annoyed, she turned back to face him.

“Geez. Do I look like an entertainer to you, Lee Sungjong? Could you please keep quiet? I’m thinking!” Jieun snapped.

He frowned and swallowed his words back down. After some time, Jieun looked to Sungjong.

“Yah. Why are you so quiet?” she spoke.

“Ugh. Says the person who told me to shut up!” Sungjong retorted.

“Hey! I merely said ‘Keep quiet’, not ‘Shut up’, okay?” she defended herself.

“It all means the same, right? PABO!” He yelled.

“YAHHHH! I dare you to say that again!”

“PABO!”

“WHAT?”

“PABO!”

“UGH. LEE SUNGJONG!!”

The quarrel went on and on until Sungjong had sent Jieun home. However, it actually lasted beyond for even after they split ways, they still fought, over text messages in cap locks.

 

Author's Note:
Hello guys! I'm sorry for only being able to update today because school has been really hectic. D,:
Hope you like this update even though it's a short one. <3
Comments and subscriptions are welcomed and appreciated. ^^v
Have a good night!
/off to reply to comments from a decade ago



"Finding back what has been lost is always a fond feeling... "