Talk

Never Meant to Be

“Where are the others?” Minhee asked Jieun with a puzzled look.

“I don’t know either. Those two guys were saying they need some personal time together. Gosh. I think they are seriously becoming weirder and weirder.” Jieun mumbled.

“Let’s go then.” She suggested with an amused smile.

“Must be that weird Sungjong influencing Sunggyu.” She concluded with a firm nod.

 Minhee couldn’t help but laugh at her cuteness.

The two girls went their own ways to the cafeteria for lunch. Grabbing two bottled drinks from the stall, Jieun joined Minhee who was seated. Minhee did not seem to notice Jieun had sat down beside her. She looked to her and saw that her best friend was nibbling on her lower lip.  Curious, she followed her gaze. It landed on a familiar someone. Turning back to Minhee, she observed her facial expression. It was something she had never once displayed before her.  

“Minhee, your drink.” Jieun said as she pushed the drink across the rounded table surface.

No response.

“Minhee.” She tried again.

Then, Minhee suddenly ducked her head. Jieun looked back and saw Myungsoo leaving with his group. He kept his eyes straight so he missed the two. At least, they thought so.

 “Minhee.” She was certain something was wrong at this point.

“H-Huh?” She finally came back to her senses.

“By any chance, do you… like him?” she asked without beating around the bush.

“Who are you talking about? Hahaha…Why would I like someone out of a su-” Minhee laughed as she took away the bottle of drink nervously.

“That Kim Myungsoo guy.” Jieun replied without looking away.

Minhee choked on her drink before coughing a few times. She did not answer Jieun and it surprised herself too. She thought she would decline readily. Jieun thought so too. Minhee placed the drink down and bit on her lower lip.

“Minhee-ah, you do know that he is not suitable for you, right? I mean… He is a player, a play boy and most importantly, he’s so different from you.” Jieun listed out all his demerits so easily.

Minhee had never seen Jieun being this serious before.

“I know.” She returned with a weak smile.

“Don’t worry. I am not going to confess or anything. This feeling will fade away sooner or later. He’s probably just an eye candy.” Minhee reassured.

“Phew. I am glad you are thinking that way.” Jieun heaved a sigh of relief as she broke into a childish smile once more.

“And that drink is mine~” Jieun said as she grabbed the one Minhee just drank from.

“Indeed. He’s probably just an eye candy.” Minhee repeated the thought inside her mind.

She had to convince not just Jieun.

 

Sunggyu and Sungjong sat at a quiet corner together. It seemed slightly weird with just two guys eating together. Sunggyu dug his metal spoon into the rice and shoved it into his mouth. Sungjong picked up the chopstick and started eating too. After 10 minutes or so, both of them were done eating.

“So… Do you like her?” Sunggyu started.

Sungjong looked up at him in confusion.

“What the heck? I am supposed to be asking you that.” Sungjong pointed at Sunggyu.

Sunggyu smirked at his friend before breaking into a smile.

“You like Jieun.” He pointed out blatantly.

“Wait a minute.” Sungjong slammed the table nervously as he stood up.

The rest of the students looked over to them and Sungjong hurriedly sat down.

“What nonsense are you spouting now?!” He hissed as his face, ears and even neck turned slightly red.

“Don’t deny. Think about it carefully and you’ll realize, Sungjong.” He said.

“You don’t tease the other girls.”

“You don’t smile so genuinely around others.”

“And most importantly, your gaze changes when you look at Jieun.”

 Sunggyu smiled in satisfaction as he saw how realization hit Sungjong bit by bit.

“When did you realize all this?” he questioned Sunggyu with a blank look.

“Some time back.” He replied.

“E-Even if what you said is true, there’s nothing that can be done. I doubt she likes someone like me. I always annoy her, I’m not the manliest guy out there and I’m like her worst enemy ever.” Sungjong said with a sadistic smile plastered on his face.

“She likes you too.” Sunggyu patted on his back and reassured him.

“Really?” Sungjong’s eyes lit up at his words.

“This is what I think from my observations. You just have to try harder.” Sunggyu said.

“Thanks, Sunggyu.” Sungjong beamed as he stuck the straw into his mouth.

After silence filled the air for a little while, Sungjong spoke again, “What about you, Sunggyu?”

“I don’t know.” came the reply- both confused and lost.  

 

 

Everyone returned back to class and sat at their respective seats.

“So how did your guy-to-guy talk go?” Jieun asked in a sarcastic tone.

 “Productive.” Sunggyu answered with a knowing smile.

Sungjong fidgeted uncomfortably as he felt Jieun’s gaze on him.

“Yah, Lee Sungjong. Are you deaf or mute now? I was looking and talking to you so shouldn’t you give me some response? That’s basic courtes-” she went on scolding as she poked him repeatedly.  

Then, Sungjong grabbed her wrist and turned to her who was clearly taken aback.

“Can you leave me alone for the day? Please?” he requested politely.

Jieun nodded a few times at his weird actions and speech. He then released her. Sunggyu smiled fondly at the scene he saw from the corner of his eyes.

“Things sure are progressing…” He thought with a smile that slowly disappeared when he saw Minhee from the other side of his eye.

Tearing his gaze away from her, he began to work out the practice questions on the worksheet.

Minhee flipped open her textbook and found a suspicious looking slip of paper between the pages.

I’m still waiting for a reply.

Her eyes widened at the words scribbled. Seconds later, her irregular heartbeat problem struck again.

 

Author's Note:
Hello guys! I've finally
updated 'Never Meant to Be'. I really wanted to update this one since weekends commenced. :D (It's over now. ); )
And I'm glad I did anyways. Wheee~

Uhm, I guess I can drop a hint here that something interesting would be happening in the next chapter. L^^ v
This update is mainly some talks being held among friends to help our dense characters sort their thoughts out a little. Haha.
Before ending this author's note... Thank you so much for reading and do comment. <3 I'll be reading your lovely comments ... (X
Bye! :D