Feelings

Never Meant to Be

“Sunggyu.”

Sunggyu turned back to face her, with nothing expressed on his face. There was no sorrow, no disappointment, and no other feelings shown. Minhee did not know how to respond to Sunggyu who did not greet her with his usual bright smile. She recalled the incident from yesterday and so she carefully chose her words, “A-Are you feeling better?” Sunggyu stared at her, wondering whether he would feel so terribly thrashed if his competitor wasn’t Woohyun. Then, Minhee’s gaze landed on Sunggyu’s lightly bandaged fist. Anxiously, she grabbed his fist and brought to her eye level. Biting her lips, she examined it with so much care and concern which made Sunggyu’s heart flutter.

“What happened?” she questioned.

Sunggyu did not answer. He simply stared.

“R-Ringgggg~”

“Lesson time.” He mumbled and withdrew his fist from her hand.

Minhee followed behind Sunggyu with mixed feelings stirring within her. It pained her seeing her best friend acting like this but she didn’t what to do or what to say. Undeniably, she was happy for Woohyun when he won. But at the same time, there cannot be two winners. Sunggyu lost. Being a lead vocal in his vocal training team, he must have felt really devastated. She was at a loss and so were Sungjong and Jieun. For the rest of the day, Sunggyu spoke minimally. He gave them one-word answers when approached. And most of the time, they had to play guessing game as to what was in his mind.

The trio sighed when Sunggyu left to get himself a drink.

“He hasn’t been speaking…” Jieun pointed out with an exaggerated sigh.

“I don’t want to think he hurt himself, you know.” Minhee added.

“I heard he got reprimanded by his vocal teacher.” Sungjong said.

“What can we do to cheer him up?” Minhee sighed.

“Let’s go to the noraebang!” Jieun suggested excitedly.

“His vocals are not fully recovered yet, you idiot!” Sungjong smacked her head without a second thought.

“YAH!! It hurts, okay?!” She yelled.

“Hey! It’s not time to quarrel now!” Minhee went between the two.

After much discussion, the three has come to a conclusion.

“They…?” Sunggyu paused as he looked around.

“The two of them quarreled and so they left first.” She lied.

In actual fact, Sungjong had suggested for Minhee to talk to Sunggyu privately. Sungjong reasoned that Minhee was more clear-headed and he would probably be more comfortable talking to one person than three. As a matter of fact, Sungjong knew it was the only way to untie Sunggyu’s heart knot. After all, Minhee was the main reason for his current state, even if she didn’t know.

Sunggyu nodded in understanding, sipping his coffee as he started walking.

“Sunggyu,” Minhee called out.

He closed his eyes for a brief moment when he felt his heart reacting, yet again. Re-opening them, he stared into her eyes which expressed sheer concern and empathy.

“All of us are worried about you…”

He bit his lower lip at her starter.

“Losing the competition isn’t everything, Sunggyu. Please…”

“Is there anything I can do to bring the smile back on your face?”

Minhee felt her words stuck in when she found herself in Sunggyu’s arms. She could feel his body warmth against hers and his body mist was filling her nose. It felt wrong, so wrong. Minhee wanted to pull away the next instant but Sunggyu’s grip on her shoulder tightened. Minhee felt her heart palpitating rapidly as her eyes wandered around in fear. She couldn’t imagine if anyone saw them in such a state.

“Sunggyu…”

“Stay. Please.”

She figured he needed some consolation and a friendship hug shouldn’t hurt. Therefore, she stayed put. Then, Minhee felt something wet land on her neck and she froze.

“I-Is he crying?” she thought to herself.

“Why? Why can’t you just stay by my side, like this? Why cannot it be me?” Sunggyu questioned himself.

But of course, he said nothing.

What else can he say?

 

 “I’ll get going first.” Minhee informed with a slight smile.

“Minhee.” Sunggyu called out before she could leave.

She turned around and smiled.

“Thank you.” He said.  

“Don’t worry. What are friends for?” she said it in a punk style.

But he couldn’t bring himself to laugh so he waved her off.

“Friends.” Sunggyu uttered.

In that split second, her words broke his already broken heart, once more.

 

“Minhee!” He shouted.

Minhee jumped a little and heard a familiar chuckle advancing closer. Seeing Myungsoo before her, a natural smile crept up her face and her eyes turned into perfect curves. The boy reached out and fixed her slightly messed up fringe. Satisfied, he slid his hand back into his side pocket. Myungsoo tilted his head with a knowing wink, implying for her to hop on. Minhee laughed a little at his gesture before getting on. With that, instead of going home, the two headed elsewhere.

“Myungsoo, where are we going?” she asked.

“I don’t know either.” He joked.

“Eh~ If you aren’t telling me, I am jumping off~” She threatened.

“You wouldn’t.” He said with full certainty.

An amused smile graced her face as she tightened her grip around Myungsoo’s torso.

“Ahjumma, two ice-creams please!” Myungsoo ordered.

The lady handed them the ice-cream and received a bill from Myungsoo. Handing back their change, she complimented, “The two of you look good together, just like my old man and I.”

The two looked away, slightly embarrassed at her statement. Myungsoo waved the lady goodbye but as they moved on, an idiotic smile was still lingering on his face. Minhee fed Myungsoo whenever she ensures it was safe to because she simply refuse to let Myungsoo ride the bike with one hand. It was dangerous, she nagged and he could only oblige. Today, Myungsoo thought the ice-cream got a little too sweet. He wondered why.

Pressing the brakes, Myungsoo waited for Minhee to get off before getting off in a swift and cool movement. Dropping their mode of transport on the grass, he took over his half-eaten cone.

“Why are we here?” she asked.

“No particular reason. Just felt like bringing you here.” He explained.

Plopping himself on the green, prickly grass, Myungsoo laid on it. Minhee fixed her skirt before sitting down beside Myungsoo. She finished her ice-cream while staring at those clouds. It felt good to stop and stare at nature. Because for a moment, it was as if the world did no matter and there were no school, grades, scolding or anything troubling anymore. Myungsoo closed his eyes, enjoying the breeze hitting his face. Curious why Myungsoo stopped speaking, Minhee turned to face him. She smiled upon realizing he has drifted off to dreamland. Lying down beside Myungsoo, she shut her eyes too. Then, she felt someone hold her hand. Peeping between her eyelids, she thought she saw Myungsoo smiling too. Not saying a word, Minhee closed her eyes and enjoyed the moment.

A beautiful day.

It was purely ironical when the very next moment, those white fluffy clouds changed its form into huge evil rain droplets. They were seemingly racing each other down to Earth to hit the couple. Myungsoo and Minhee got up from the ground and hurried onto Myungsoo's bike. Cycling faster than before, Myungsoo seeked for the nearest shelter.

“Stupid rain.” Myungsoo cursed as he ruffled his hair.

Minhee looked down at her wet self and sighed too. It was all so perfect a moment ago and the rain just have to fall and ruin their date. Myungsoo stared at Minhee for a moment. Looking away, he gulped down a ball of saliva which accumulated. He swiftly took off his blazer and handed it to Minhee, eyes still wandering elsewhere.

“Y-You’re wet. Cover yourself or something before you get sick.”

She nodded, not knowing his true intentions.

The couple sat and was waiting for the rain to stop but it showed no signs of abating.

“Myungsoo, what do you want to be after we graduate?” Minhee asked.

“After graduation? Actually, I didn’t really spare a thought about that.” He admitted.

“Then think about it now?” she was excited to know his plans.

“…I doubt I can make it to college so… Maybe some job which requires a person who can play guitar? Like in a bar or something?” he suggested casually.

Minhee frowned slightly at his lack of ambition but did not comment.

“For me, I want to be a doctor.” She said with a proud, determined smile.

Myungsoo had never seen her smile that way. The glint in Minhee’s eyes frightened him a little.  

“That’s good.” He replied, looking down at his dirtied shoes.

Myungsoo did not know why but at her words, he felt something. Then, he felt that their distance was furthering even though she was by his side. Just like this. And he was downright afraid.

So near yet so far.

 

Author's Note:
I figured I ought to update my chaptered fics because school reopens.
So here you go! <3 Hope you like this chapter (':
Thank you for reading 'Never Meant to Be' even though it's one of my lengthy fics. <3
I love you guys for subscribing, upvoting and/or commenting. :D