All about Love.

Never Meant to Be

 

“Alright, class A. I believe most of you know what’s up for today’s class period.” The teacher said as she waved some pink papers in the air.

The teacher nodded at their half-hearted response that followed. She then began to hand out the papers. Some of the kids ran their fingers through their hair while others sighed at the sight of the paper. There were already rules written on the board but the class A students did not even bother read them. They knew them so well just like the school rules. It was an annual issue to them.

Simply put, all students had to write a paragraph or poem on the theme ‘Love’ in an hour's time. Their entries were to be submitted and judged by their school principal. The principal would choose the best entries and send them out for competition with other school after which. However, it was still an inter-school thing at this stage.

“Like seriously, why do we have to participate in this ‘A Piece of Love Writing Contest’ every year?” Sungjong complained.

“Umm..I guess because the school says so, Mr. Lee. Do you have an issue with that?” The teacher asked with a fake smile as she stopped beside Sungjong.

Sungjong hurriedly picked up his pen and looked down in embarrassment. Jieun giggled at his reaction and was gloating over his misery. Sungjong mouthed a soft ‘shut up’ to her before glaring at her sideways. After the teacher left, Sungjong heaved a sigh of relief and dropped the pen.

“Oh. Mr. Lee, this paper is mine.” Jieun snatched his pink paper over.

“Go to the front and get your own, Lee Jieun.” He growled and stole it back from her.

“Hell no.” She made a face and slid the paper forcefully back to her side.

Not long later, the paper ended up in both of their hands.

“It’s all your fault.” They made a ‘hmmp’ sound before storming to the front of the classroom.

“They tore the paper, huh?” Sunggyu said and laughed a little.

Sunggyu couldn’t really point out something that he envied about the two. Perhaps it was how they were not a couple but they acted so comfortably with one another. They were more than just friends, unlike Min Hee and him. However, they were both oblivious of the fact. Sunggyu made a mental note to talk to Sungjong about it someday but he feared. He was afraid that the conversation would subsequently lead to Min Hee and him. For now, he wanted to clear his mind for a little.

“Sunggyu.” She called out.

“Seems like it is almost impossible to keep her out of my mind.” Sunggyu thought.

 “Yes?” Sunggyu turned and asked with the best smile he could manage.

“Sunggyu, have you ever been in love?” she asked without looking at him.

“H-Huh?” Sunggyu wasn’t even making sense now because of her words.

“Oh, don’t be surprised. Hehe… It’s just that I am kind of stuck for this thing but we have to submit it at the end of class. Want to give me some inspiration because I am kind of love-deprived here?” she whispered and met eyes with him.

He nodded slightly as an answer to her question. Her eyes twinkled in response and Sunggyu almost mistook them for stars; stars that were out of reach.

“Wait. Are you being serious now?” She questioned.

She seemed really surprised.

“Is she in this class?” she asked in a curious tone that Sunggyu never once heard before.

“Minhee, is it a good thing that you are curious about me when you usually aren’t?” Sunggyu asked himself.

He nodded his head.

"Now, I am wondering where this conversation is leading to… Am I going to confess to you already? Like now?” Sunggyu thought as different possibilities crossed his mind at that instant.

 “Who is she?” she finally asked.

Sunggyu took in a deep breath and with all the courage he could find within him he spoke those words.

“It’s you.“

“No talking. This is supposed to be individual work. Think of your own ideas for the contest.” The teacher interrupted.

“I’m sorry.” Min Hee apologised quickly and faced back to the front.

“Did she hear what I say?” Sunggyu thought to himself as he tried to search for a clue on her face.

Her brows were knitted and that worried him. A part of him was dying to ask whether she actually heard his confession but the cowardly side of him held him back, as usual. In the end, he remained a coward again. He chose to back away into his safe shell, not to face rejection. Even after confessing, he was afraid to hear her answer. Interestingly, that was similar to a certain someone. The last bell rang and before the teacher collected their entries, Jieun took Sunggyu’s one without his permission. Before he could say anything, she began reading already.

Love like an idiot.
Do things she finds stupid.

Love like a beggar.
Sit until she comes around.

Love like an ignorant.
Wait till she responds back.

Love like a dreamer.
Dream because it comes true.

“Wow. Just wow.” Jieun’s eyes widened at Sunggyu’s work.

“Thanks.” Sunggyu muttered as he snatched the paper back protectively.

He did not like his feelings being exposed anymore, even if they were hiding beneath words. When they exited class, Min Hee walked up to Sunggyu. She giggled when she spotted his worried look. At this sight, he looked at her with his heart beating so much faster than before. He was worried, fearful and excited but that only lasted until he heard her response.

“Just now in class…”

His heart froze in position.

“I didn’t hear her name so don’t look so worried.” She admitted.

“Oh.” came his reply.

“But actually, I am a pretty good secret-keeper so you can still say it now if you want.” Min Hee said with a wink.

“I…” Sunggyu opened his mouth but the words got stuck in his throat.

“It’s okay, Sunggyu… I am not that curious actually. You look like you are going to die if you tell me, you know.” She joked lightly.

Her words deprived him of his last chance. At that moment, Sunggyu prayed that he would never regret today. Then, Jieun hopped over and entwined her arms with Min Hee’s.

“That idiot forced me to wait for him because Nana was pestering him. What am I to him now? His guard dog?” Jieun whined. 

“You can try barking and I will be your judge.” Sungjong said with an evil grin.

Before she could scream her usual “Yah”, Sungjong began whistling and walking off. Without saying a word, Sunggyu followed behind him. No one really noticed his dejected expression. Jieun stomped her foot in annoyance and Min Hee merely smiled at her gently.

“Min Hee, why does Lee Sungjong always bully me? It’s so frustrating!” she asked as she flared her nose.

“Why don’t you quit bullying him first? Perhaps he would stop too.” she answered and laughed.

“Out of question.” She said and held her head up.

“You two are seriously unbelievable…” She mumbled and laughed.

“You okay?” Sungjong asked when he finally realized Sunggyu’s abnormality.

“No, I am not.” He said.

He ended up being miserably in love with his best friend.

“Yah. The teacher said write about what’s love as simply as possible to avoid grammatical errors but isn’t this… Too much?” Sungyeol looked over at Myungsoo’s paper.

“It looks fine.” Myungsoo shrugged his shoulders and yawned lazily.

“Look at what he wrote, seriously.” Sungyeol showed Hoya L’s paper.

Her.

“Hahaha, you’re just submitting this one word to them?” Hoya questioned.

Myungsoo nodded blankly.

“Ah, I think we have to understand it’s already a rare thing that our dearest L is not returning them a blank paper again…” Hoya remarked.

Dongwoo was at a corner biting his pen cap and racking his brain for an entry. Somehow they were putting in effort for this. Perhaps it was just because it wasn’t school related and their electronics were all charging at the school plug.  

Woohyun was done a long time ago and a sly smile spread across his face when he saw L’s.

“So Myungsoo, who is she?” Woohyun asked.

Myungsoo smirked at his words.

“You will see, soon enough.” He answered.

“What? What? What? What did we miss out?!” Dongwoo half-shouted as he squeezed in.

“I am anticipating then.” Woohyun said with a wink.

All the other boys looked up from their papers with bewildered expressions on. They couldn't understand a thing but Woohyun and Myungsoo seemed to have understood each other perfectly well.

Things seemed to be getting interesting.

 

Author's Note:
I have edited the content of this chapter several times and finally settled for this one. 
This chapter is more of Sunggyu-biased. Those who are rooting for Myungsoo, please don't kill me first!
MyungsooxMinhee would have some interactions too down the story.
And don't worry, I didn't forget about the fact that L did confess to Minhee. 
Ah, I have no more energy left to check this chapter for errors again. D: Sorry. 
Hope you enjoyed reading and would comment below! *Winks*

I am busy judging for my contest so more updates might have to wait... Sorry guys.