Misunderstood

Never Meant to Be

“Bye guys. See you tomorrow~” Ji Eun waved to the other two.

“See you, irritating woman.” Sung Jong replied with a teasing wink.

“Yah! You better be careful not to get ambushed on the way!” Ji Eun shouted back causing the other three to laugh.

“Take care.” Sung Gyu waved with a smile which made his eyes to vanish.

Turning their backs on one another, the pairs separated.

“Hyung, do you like Min Hee?” Sung Jong asked blatantly.

“Why that question?” Sung Gyu threw the question back as he tried to keep a straight face.

“Nothing.” Sung Jong answered with a knowing smile.

“Bye, Min Hee~” Ji Eun waved before walking down the opposite street.

She flashed a smile and returned the wave, urging Ji Eun to keep walking. Ji Eun had this habit of keep turning back and waving non-stop. As Ji Eun turned round the corner and disappeared, Min Hee continued her way home alone. She then began verbally regurgitating the content she memorized just now.

Then, she spotted a teen struggling with an old lady. They seemed to be having a dispute over a sum of money which was in the envelope, threatening to fall out. Squinting her eyes, Min Hee thought she recognized the guy.

“It’s him. Kim Myung Soo.” She thought.

She saw the exasperated expression the old granny had on and immediately thought she grasped the full situation. The old granny was sighing as the sum of money got pushed forth and back. Running up to them, Min Hee quickly shoved L aside in a rough manner.

“What are you doing?” L asked, surprised.

“I should be the one asking you this question here. What are you doing to halmoni?” Min Hee fired the question back at him.

Myung Soo tilted his head to one side and clucked his tongue in disbelief.

“Young lady, you misunderstood everything. Myung Soo is just trying to give me some money but I am refusing it. He is not trying to steal from me or anything.” The old lady clarified.

Min Hee looked at the old lady once more for confirmation and she gave her a certain nod. With that, Min Hee felt utterly embarrassed as she knew she wronged L.

“I…I am sor-” Min Hee tried apologizing.

“Halmoni, let’s bring you home already.” L said with a warm smile as he walked past Min Hee and supported the granny.

“So am I honoured to give this beautiful lady a birthday ride?” L said cheekily causing the old lady to flash a toothless but genuine smile.

L supported the old lady's arm carefully as she sat above the cardboard which were piled up neatly in her cart. Taking the handles, he started pushing the push cart slowly. Min Hee who was standing there for some time finally decided to follow them. Catching up, Min Hee walked awkwardly beside Myung Soo. The old lady then started singing some old songs in her hoarse voice.

Stopping before a shabby house, Min Hee couldn’t help but gasp at the indescribable state. The house looked as if it would be gone the next second if a typhoon were to strike. She stood there in disbelief, quite shocked. The old lady smiled as she walked up to Min Hee.

“Rundown isn’t it?” she asked.

“Aniya. It’s just…just… that I am shocked.” She admitted in shame.

All this while, she had been living in her comfort zone, thinking everyone else in the country were as lucky as her. Never once in her life had she expected someone in the 21st century to be still living in such a rundown-conditioned house.

“Your reaction is normal, my dear. So do you want to come in and have a seat?” she offered.

“Ah, yes. Thank you.” Min Hee said with a polite smile.

Supporting the old granny, she stepped into the house and met eyes with L who was helping to unload the cardboard on the cart. L looked away and continued with his work.

“I would go get you two some drinks.” She said before walking off to the ‘kitchen’ which were actually only a few steps away.

“Do you need help?” Min Hee asked.

“No.” L answered as he moved the last cardboard.

“I’m done.” He informed before walking off to the granny and helping her hold the tray.

“Is he angry?” she thought with a soft sigh.

Sitting down on the ragged and dusty sofa, L placed the three cups of tea down on the table. He then served the plate of biscuits which the elderly prepared. After which, he took the small space beside Min Hee.

“May I borrow this?” L asked as he pointed to the guitar beside him.

He knew the significance of the guitar to the old lady so he thought he needed the permission. After all, it belonged to her deceased spouse. The old lady smiled and nodded. Picking up the guitar delicately, Myung Soo placed it on his thigh. Tuning it slightly, he began playing on it. It was a birthday song. Singing along as he played, L looked up at the old lady who had a wide smile across her face.

The old lady was clapping along like a kid as tears began forming in her eyes. Min Hee remained silent as she watched him sing and play on the guitar. Min Hee thought the Myung Soo now looked really different from what he was back in school. In school, he had the bad boy and player image accompanied with a cool aura but the person before her now was warm, sweet and polite. She was confused as to which was the real him.

At the end of the song, L returned the guitar to its original position. The old lady smiled once again as she held back those forming tears.

“Thank you, my child. If it weren’t you, I guess the old pathetic lady had to spend her birthday alone… I am really grateful and happy today. Your parents must be blessed to have children like you unlike me.” She said.

“I am glad you enjoyed listening to my poor skills. Happy birthday, halmoni.” L said.

“Happy birthday, halmoni.” Min Hee wished too.

“You played beautifully, just like my old man.” The old lady said as she wiped off those tears which were about to fall.

“I am flattered.” L replied modestly.   

“I believe the two of you should leave already. It’s getting late and I wouldn’t your parents to be worried. Run along.” The old lady urged as she stood up.

With a light nod, Min Hee got up from her seat. L stood up too and walked to the door. Before leaving, he leaned down slightly and gave a light peck on the old lady’s cheek.

“Happy Birthday, halmoni. Don’t keep away the money I gave you but buy yourself some decent food. I will see you another day...” Myung Soo instructed.

“I know. Both of you, be safe on your way home alright?” The old lady said.

“Ne.” They replied.

With that, she bid them farewell.The two walked onto the main street with L walking slightly ahead of Min Hee. She caught up with him, determined to say her apology.

“I am sorry for just now. I should hav-”

“It’s alright. I’m just that kind of guy in everyone else’s eyes. I know.” L cut in and walked off.

His words impacted her heavily and the guilt from before was weighing down on her more than before. With a loud sigh, Min Hee began walking back home. Reaching her doorstep, she thought she heard some noises behind her so she quickly turned back but to see no one.

“Maybe I was thinking too much.” She thought before entering her house.

Seeing she reached home safely, L stepped out from behind the tree.

 

Author's Note:
Wheeee~ An ultra long update for you guys:D!
Did you enjoy reading their interaction ?XD
Comment and subscribe, arraso? ^^
Byebye !<3