Distance

Never Meant to Be

"Minhee, it hurts.”

“Sunggyu!”

“It hurts so much. It really does.”

“Not going to class?”

“Minhee, I like you. I really do. Even up till now, even if you ‘belong’ to Kim Myungsoo.”

“Sunggyu to Earth!”

Minhee waved her hand before Sunggyu and he broke out into a dry laugh.

“Sorry, I was lost in my own thoughts.” He said before walking towards class with her beside.

“What were you thinking about?” she asked as she looked to his side.

Sunggyu looked at Minhee with his badly scratched heart pounding madly, “Just some stuff.”

  “I see. Your vocal training must be really busy for the past few days. We didn’t even get to see you around. You were always hanging with those guys. I even thought that you…” She paused.

“Thought that I?” Sunggyu urged her to continue.

“I even thought that you were avoiding us for a moment. How silly of me.” She laughed.

“Indeed. How silly of you, Minhee-ah.” He mumbled before knocking her forehead affectionately.

Minhee’s eyes widened slightly at the skin ship but returned the smile nonetheless.

“Let’s hurry. We’re gonna be late.” She walked slightly faster.  

And he followed.

Even if you are ahead for a bit, I will follow you and catch you.

“So, how are things with your little girlfriend?” Sungyeol asked casually.

“Heard news that you went for a study session Minhee and friends.” Hoya mentioned.

“I thought L doesn’t study…” Dongwoo exclaimed.

“How do you guys even know that?” Myungsoo questioned.

The guys kept quiet for a moment and looked at a certain someone.

“Not me. Absolutely, not me.” Sungyeol denied with a playful grin, emphasizing on each word.

“LEE SUNGYEOL!” Myungsoo growled and Sungyeol was already out of sight.

“Put me in a place where the sun comes in well. And just don’t forget about me once a month~”

Woohyun was holding onto an imaginary microphone as he came in from the back door. The rest of them looked up with awkward expressions on. He was still deeply engrossed in his own world until Myungsoo tapped the table.

“What’s up with your expressions? Mesmerized by me or my voice?” Woohyun joked.

“Just surprised that you’re singing… randomly?” Hoya tried to put a word to it.

“Everything happens for a reason.” Woohyun clasped his hands together.

“What do you mean?” Dongwoo sat up and placed his phone away.

“Miss Lee has asked me to join the annual singing competition in school.” He said with a proud smirk.

“So…What exactly did she promise you in return for our Woohyun to join?” L asked.

“That’s why I say that in the group, L is the second smartest. Without me saying, you know who the first is.” Woohyun remarked earning whines of disapprovals.

“Anyway, back to topic…She’s buying me dinner. Just the two of us.” Woohyun winked seductively.

“Whatever.” Myungsoo replied before turning his back on him.

“Oh. Just mind you that she’s engaged.” L reminded with a casual wave.

“She is?! I didn’t see any ring?!” Woohyun gasped.

“Miss Lee told the class that she sent it for adjustment. I suppose you skipped class that day.” Dongwoo explained with his eyes at the side of his eye.

“I…This…” Woohyun paused to gather his thoughts.

There was three seconds of silence before the group began laughing heartily away at the misery of the poor boy.

“All the best for the competition.” Hoya patted his back, biting back an amused smile.

“UGH!” Woohyun ruffled his hair in frustration.

“I will sneak some popcorn in on the day.” Dongwoo chimed in.

Woohyun threw his head on the table and stomped his foot, like a kid.

-

 

Time crawled by signified by the slow ticking of the clock which has its glass frame gone. In the F class, no one was paying attention already. They were just waiting for one thing and there, it ringed. The teacher hasn’t finish his speech and people has begun streaming out of class. It was expected and the teacher could only sigh inwardly for his ‘poor fate’.

“See you guys tomorrow.” Myungsoo said as he stood up.

“You’re going ahead first?” Dongwoo was the first to speak.

“Not again?” Sungyeol remarked with a hint of annoyance in his tone.

“We are going to play billiards today. It’s not fun without you, L.” Hoya tried to persuade him.

“Sorry guys, I promised Minhee to go out with her. I can’t ju-” Myungsoo apologized difficultly.

“It’s alright. We can bring her along. Just like last time? She had fun, didn’t she?” Woohyun said.

Myungsoo thought about it for a few seconds before agreeing to Woohyun’s suggestion. The group then left class together and headed to the meeting venue. Myungsoo frowned when he saw Sunggyu standing beside Minhee. Jieun and Sungjong were there too. He stopped and smiled at his girlfriend whom returned a loving smile. A smile which Sunggyu would kill for.

“Hey. Is it okay if the 4 of them join? They have nothing to do so….” Myungsoo began awkwardly.

“Myungsoo-ah, I wanted to tell you that my mum just called, and she wants me home. Sorry.” Minhee cut in with a cute pout.

He could tell she was disappointed and somehow that was enough to make him happy.

“It’s alright. We can always go out another time. ” Myungsoo smiled and replied.

“Hey. Kim Sunggyu.” Woohyun read off his nametag.

Sunggyu looked up at the student before him with his first two buttons ed. He had his hand in his pocket and Sunggyu couldn’t help but think he’s a typical bad boy. It was not as if he hadn’t heard much of his reputation anyway. He plastered a smile before stepping a step closer.

“Nice to meet you, Nam Woohyun.” He glanced down at his nametag.  

“I think we will meet again. Soon, to be exact.” He said.

Sunggyu cocked his head to the side with an eyebrow raised at his statement.

“You’re the one I am up against in the annual singing competition.” Woohyun elaborated with a smirk.

“I didn’t know.” Sunggyu replied.

“Now you do.” Woohyun said simply as he stepped back to join the group who was chit chatting away at the back.

“What did you say to that guy?” Hoya asked.

“Why?” Woohyun inquired.

“His face didn’t look quite good.” Hoya shrugged his shoulders.

“Yea, I could tell.” Woohyun said as he glanced back at Sunggyu.  

“I didn’t know the stupid contest accepted contestants from the F class too.” He thought silently

"Kim Myungsoo, remember to look when I crush your best friend on stage. He is going to lose, so badly. And I'll be the one laughing this time. I swear." Sunggyu gritted his teeth.

"Run along with your friends already. Jieun would walk with me." Minhee reassured as she patted Myungsoo's hand.

"Text me when you reach home, alright?" Myungsoo instructed. 

"I will. See you tomorrow!" Her eyes turned into perfect crescents and Myungsoo resisted the urge to kiss her on her forehead.

He simply smiled back at her.

“AHHHH!!! Minhee-ah, Lee Sungjong is pissing me off again! Let’s go home, now! I can't stand seeing this fellow for another second! ” Jieun yelled and pulled Minhee away irritatedly.

Myungsoo watched as their distance furthered.

 

Author's Note:
Slightly longer chapter than normal and I hope you guys like it. :)
Pardon me for taking quite some time for my updates. orz
I really need some sleep now so I am heading to my bed.
Goodnights peeps! Remember to leave some comment , alrighty? <3
I'll get down to replying chapter 26's comments soon. ^^