When love meets reality

Never Meant to Be

Myungsoo woke up to face terrible hangover effects haunting him. Supporting his head, he shut his eyes in reluctance. He tried to recall how he returned home and what happened last night. It didn’t take long for him to recall some bits and pieces from last night. A satisfied smile graced his lips as he recalled something. Getting off bed, slightly refreshed, he went into the bathroom. Exiting the shower room, Myungsoo ruffled his wet hair slightly and dropped his black towel on the bed.

Opening his wardrobe, he dressed himself swiftly with his slightly crumpled school uniform. He adjusted his blazer and tie quickly before completing his image with a smirk. Even the reflection looks happy. He noticed locks of his damp hair were clumped together but he smiled instead.

“Messy is y.” He joked to himself and laughed weirdly.

Myungsoo left home with a smile still spread across his face. He was certain his friends would not turn up for school but he was still going to school. Of course, there was a reason behind it. He checked his watch and realized he was terribly late. Ignoring that fact, he entered the convenience store and got a packet of strawberry milk. Leaving the cashier still in her daydreams, he headed for school. The security guard scoffed not –so-silently as Myungsoo walked past the front gates. He saw pockets of students streaming into the cafeteria and somewhat guessed it was break time.

He tilted his head to his right when he spotted Minhee. He wanted to run up to her but he realized something. She was alone. And there was something amiss in her eyes which he had missed all this time. She busied herself with her phone but it didn’t seem like she was doing anything on it. L checked his phone and found no notifications. He frowned in response and before he could do something, a shadow casted upon him.  He looked up to find its owner.

“Let’s talk.”

“Sure.”

Myungsoo didn’t know why he agreed to his request either. He led him to a quiet corner and he followed.  

“I am Sunggyu, Minhee’s friend.” He began.

“I know.” L simply replied.

“You claimed to be her boyfriend.” Sunggyu stated.

“Pardon?” L replied as polite as he could sound.

Deep inside, Myungsoo winced at Sunggyu’s choice of words. He hated the hint of belittlement in his tone. However, he kept his cool.

“By the way, I am her boyfriend.” Myungsoo defended himself.  

“But you know nothing about what she is going through, don’t you?” Sunggyu scoffed.

“What do you mean?” L asked, toning down slightly.

“I suppose you don’t know anything about Minhee being ostracized by the rest of A class right now. I’m certain you know nothing about Minhee always sitting alone at the back of the class nowadays. And do you know that she has to eat alone every day? As expected, again, you don’t. So now, tell me. What kind of boyfriend are you, Kim Myungsoo?”  Sunggyu questioned as he enunciated Myungsoo’s full name forcefully.

Myungsoo swallowed his saliva silently as he bit his inner cheek at Sunggyu’s words. Minhee told him none of what Sunggyu told him. She kept mum despite everything she faced, alone. It appeared that in the end, he was the only one being happy and jolly in this relationship because nothing in his world changed for the worse. Myungsoo thought he felt guilt. Or maybe not. It was in fact a kind of feeling that he couldn’t pinpoint or describe. He just knew he felt deep down horrible. But at that point of time, his concern was the invisible swords shooting out from a pair of blaming eyes before him. Looking up, Myungsoo stared straight back into his.

“You like her, don’t you?” he pointed out.

Sunggyu froze and for a moment, he felt before the boy with piercing gaze.

“It’s none of your business.” He curtly replied.

With that, Sunggyu walked off, bumping into Myungsoo’s shoulders in the process. He then walked on with thoughts clouding his head. It was all about her, the girl who was troubling him from morning to night without herself knowing anything. He was worried but there was nothing he could do. Sunggyu was jealous, completely jealous. He envied Myungsoo despite having everything else that he doesn’t because she was by his side. And that was all that matters.

Myungsoo did not attend lessons scheduled for the rest of the day. He sat on a nearby bench and thought through everything. He ruffled his hair out of frustration, and he kicked the bench for the umpteenth time that day. It seemed like a fairytale wasn’t so beautiful after all. Love wasn’t simple, he realized finally. If it helps that Myungsoo barge into Class A and scold the freaking hell out of those senseless idiots with books stored in their brains, he would have done so. He would have jolly well done so instead of sitting around like a real idiot as he was. Checking his phone, he realized it was dismissal time already. He then called her up. When the line got through, Myungsoo seemingly brightened a little.

“Hello, is this Miss Yoon on the line?”

“Uh, yes. You are Mr. Kim, right?”

Myungsoo chuckled at her response and smiled so widely as if none of that confrontation took place, as if things were still pretty perfect. He waited as the sun shone brighter than ever. He shut his eyes and slid down the bench, allowing his head to rest on it. She entered his mind.As if it was planned, someone cupped her palm on his closed eyes. He smiled, knowing who it was.

“Hey there.” He greeted casually.

She released her grip and settled beside him after dusting her skirt.

“Why are you here?” Minhee asked.

“I didn’t go for lessons. Having a headache because of someone.” He answered wittily.

She blushed at his remark.

“Because he took the shots for me so he had to skip school.” She thought.

“Let’s have a heart-to-heart talk!” Myungsoo suggested with a clap.

Minhee’s eyes widened for a moment questioningly but nodded nonetheless. She assumed it was a couple norm thing.

“You go first.” Myungsoo did a knight- like bow before allowing her to start.

“In that case… How many girlfriends have you had before?” she asked thoughtfully.

“Three.”

She smiled weakly at his answer. Needless to say, she had guessed that she wasn’t his first on her own. It was not a difficult guess for a charming kingka like himself. To be honest, she expected a lot more. Perhaps Myungsoo doesn’t count them as girlfriends, she thought. Myungsoo paused for a while, brushing aside her probable thoughts, he asked the next.

“Am I your first?”

“Yes.”

Myungsoo realized how wrong the question could have been but didn’t say further when she didn’t question his question. L thought Minhee probably interpreted his question as first boyfriend and or first kiss. He made a mental note to phrase his question properly. Seeing her uneasy expression, he promised himself silently to treat her with care, like fragile glass.

“Did you… smoke before?”

“Once. But I have quitted.”

She nodded quietly at his answer. He bit his lips, wondering whether it was a right move to suggest such a talk. He felt his own self being peeled off layer by layer before her. And the it seems that the mysterious L didn’t like it that way.

“Do you regret? Getting together with me?” he finally asked.

She looked at him with a confused expression on and at that moment Minhee wanted to scold him playfully for his redundant question but she paused. That was because she noticed the uneasiness lurking in his black orbs. With a sweet smile, she responded truthfully, “Not at all.”

He smiled back and ruffled her hair. She pouted cutely at his gesture before pushing it away lightly. She fixed her hair slightly and efficiently.

“Let’s call it a day already.” He said and she complied.

The two left the secluded area, leaving behind their questions and answers.

“Minhee, let’s not play such games in future.”

“Why?”

“It’s no fun at all.”

“What to do, Myungsoo? I like it though.”             

Myungsoo widened his eyes at her playfulness and before he knew it, she attacked his sides and ran off.

“Yoon Minhee!” He yelled loudly before chasing after her.

The remaining students staying behind in the school who were watching on faded into the background as they only had eyes for one another.

However, Myungsoo found himself gradually becoming more conscious.

 

Author's Note:
Hello everyone! :D  Welcome to 2013 ~ And unfortunately, that means school start for me )':
I wanted to post an update at least before I return to school.
Personally, I like this one. (:
I hope this wasn't too bad and that you guys enjoyed reading my update. ^^
Hope you will comment so that it makes me happy tmr X)
I'm off to sleep because there are lessons tmr. ); Goodnights everyone!
OH. And thank you all of you lovely people for making this fic exceed 3000 views and 80 subbies. Saranghae <3!
ps. Updates may be slow depending on my school schedule. Mian! I'll reply the comments in due time, sorry for not responding yet.