Chapter 23: Celebrating His Birthday From Far…

Obsession

Chapter 23: Celebrating His Birthday From Far…


You sat next to the window reading a story book. As you were scanning through the words in the page, you unconsciously run your fingers into your hair making the charm of your bracelet hit the glass of the window with a soft ‘cling’.

 

You put the book down and took the charm inside you palm. You chuckled. You didn’t realised you were wearing the bracelet that L.Joe bought for you. “Silly…” you said to yourself. You were about to remove the bracelet off your wrist but your dad stopped you by appearing on your door.

 

“Dad!” you patted your chest, you were surprised by his appearance. “You scared me.” you said, annoyed.

 

He laughed and shook his head. He sat at the end of your bed, facing you. “I met L.Joe today.” He said.

 

You snapped at him. You were excited to hear about him but at the same time guilt washed all over you.

 

“You remember right?” he asked, raising his eyebrow. You stared at him confused. “You forgot your bestfriend birthday?” he asked surprised. “How dare you?!”

 

“Dad I didn’t forget.” You replied, unsatisfied.

 

“Then why is he telling me you haven’t greeted him yet?” he questioned.

 

“B-because…” you didn’t continue. *Because we broke up?* You thought. You looked at him apologetically. Your parents don’t know about you and L.Joe.

 

“Because you guys were fighting?” your dad guessed.

 

You nodded nonchalantly.

 

“Come on So Eun, just keep it aside and celebrate his birthday…” he pulled you to your wardrobe. He then took out your clothes like he knew what he was doing.

 

“Okay dad. I get it…” you sighed and took out a white long sleeve t-shirt and a pink with polka dots knees long skirt. You matched it with a legging. You ushered your dad away and fixed yourself.

 

• • • •

 

You had no choice but to buy a birthday cake, since your dad made you promised to celebrate L.Joe’s birthday. You walked to his place, once you were on his door step, you brushed you bang to the side. You inhale a deep breath and ring the bell.

 

“He’s not home.” One of L.Joe’s neighbours informed.

 

“Mind if I ask you where he went?” you asked him, praying L.Joe would tell him before he left.

 

“I’m sorry dear…” he said apologetically. You nodded and smiled. *Where did he go?* you asked inside.

 

“But you can try the neighbourhood park. My son said L.Joe plays with him recently…” he added before you left.

 

“Gomawo, ahjusshi.” You bowed and ran toward the park. You couldn’t hide your excitement when you found him there. He was sitting at the end of the slide, staring at the ground. You approached him but discontinued.

 

*I can’t do this… I told him to let go off me. It would be stupid…* you backed your step and hid behind a tree. *we broke up…* you sighed. You lazily watched a group of kids playing football and then idea filled your brain.

 

• • • •

 

“Hyung!” a boy called after L.Joe. He snapped at the boy with a smile. His smile made him look angelic. He took off his earpiece and rolled it around his iPod.

 

He stood up and brushed the dirt off his jeans. “Kibum-ah.” He called out and approached him.

 

“Help me with this…” The boy took L.Joe’s hand and pulled him to the bench. L.Joe stopped himself when he saw a candled cake sitting on the bench. The boy looked up at him with the brightest smile. “It’s your birthday!”

 

“How did–” L.Joe was about to question Kibum but was cut by the children singing him a birthday song. L.Joe can only let a shy laugh at the same time his heart was warmed.

 

“Make a wish!” The children shouted excitedly as they surrounded the cake waiting for it to be ‘turn off’.

 

L.Joe nodded. He clasped his hands together, closed his eyes and went silent. *I wish for your happiness, Han So Eun.* he unselfishly wished. The smile on his face got brighter as he opened his eyes. He then leant closer and blew the candles.

 

“So what did you wish for?” a girl asked interested.

 

L.Joe pouted and shook his head. “Wish won’t come true if you spill it to others.” He said and scrunched his nose.

 

You watched everything from you hiding place – behind a tree. You smiled happily at them especially at him. You heart didn’t fail to lose it beats every time you saw him smiling. Actually everything he did, bring the same effect.

 

“Happy birthday L.Joe-ah~” you whispered to yourself. You observed him a couple of minutes before leaving the park.

 

L.Joe was placing the last slice of cake affectionately. He wasn’t sure why he did it, he was aware that the kid got a slice. He turned his head around to check if anyone or a kid were left out. When he did the ‘checking’ a figure caught his eyes as his smile was wiped away from his face.

 

He saw you…