Interview

EXO-G *{SM New Girl Group}*

 

The five girls waited anxiously at a conference room located at the top floor of KBS main quarters. Because Kangin and Donghae were busy, Kyuhyun was chosen to accompany the girls to their first show meeting.

 

“What do you think the show will be about?” Yujin grabbed Kyuhyun’s hand. “Haven’t they told you anything?”

 

“Not at all.” Kyuhyun interlocked his fingers with hers and kissed the back of her hand. “You’re not the type to get all impatient about things. Are you nervous?”

 

Yujin nodded and began pulling on a strand of her hair to distract herself.

 

“Maybe it’s a ‘wilderness’ type of variety? Like Invincible Youth or 1 Night 2 Days.” Kiko tried guessing. Out of the five girls she looked the most relaxed with her headphones on and her head leaned back against the backrest of her chair.

 

“That would be so awesome.” Lexx beamed as she imagined herself working diligently at a farm or at some ranch.

 

“Easy for you to say, maknae. You were raised in a farm.” Hannah stuck her tongue at her. “I hope I won’t have to get my nails dirty.”

 

“Don’t be so picky, Hannah. It’s our first show so we should be thankful with whatever we get.” Jae scolded her.

 

“I know, I know.” Hannah said sullenly.

 

“Good afternoon, girls! Sorry for making you wait.” A friendly looking man entered the conference room. He was rather short with black hair and tiny glasses. “My name is Kim Deasun and if all goes well I will also be your producer for this show.”

 

“Good afternoon!” The girls all got on their feet and bowed politely. “We are EXO-G.”

 

“Thanks for having us, Kim PD.” Kyuhyun also bowed.

 

“The pleasure is mine.” The producer laughed and gestured them to take a seat. “Lets begin with this meeting, shall we?”

 

“Of course.” Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“First of all, how about you lovely ladies introduce yourselves?”

 

“My name is Yujin and I’m the leader. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Yujin introduced herself first.

 

“I am Yoon Jae Hwa, but everyone calls me Jae.” Jae smilled and bowed her head.

 

“My name is Hannah. It’s an honor to work with you.” She batted her eyelashes at the producer.

 

“I’m Tsukiko, but call me Kiko.” Kiko said.

 

“And I am the maknae, Alex! Also known as Lexx.” The girl smiled, filled with excitement.

 

“All right.” The producer nodded and started scrolling down on his laptop. “According to the information your managers sent me beforehand you five are quite young. Especially little Lexx over here.”

 

“That’s right.” Kyuhyun nodded.

 

 “I see…” Producer Kim said pensively. “How long has it been since your debut?”

 

“A couple of weeks.” Yujin told him. Her ‘leader’ aura was back and she looked more confident than ever.

 

“So you are one of the newest artist in the industry, is this correct?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“The company has been looking for a new girl group to work with, something fresh. We thought that EXO’s y but mysterious concept might add a different touch to the show.”

 

“We are glad we can help.” Jae smiled.

 

“However, there is a small issue.” Kim PD shut his laptop and took his glasses off. “The new show we are thinking of is a dating/couple type of variety.”

 

“D-Dating?” Lexx stuttered. Farm work and manual labor she could handle, but when it came to dating she wasn’t so sure.

 

“And what is the problem?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

“They are too young.” The producer answered. “This girl is only sixteen, for God’s sake.” He gestured at Lexx. The young maknae clenched her fists and looked at the ground. A pang of guilt hit her in the chest. She felt awful that she was the cause they won’t be able to appear on TV.

 

“Sorry for interrupting.” Kiko spoke. “Lexx is totally capable of adjusting to any work conditions. She is as competent as any of us. Age is just a number.”

 

“Kiko…” Yujin shot her a look. “Be nice.”

 

“What? It’s not like I’m lying.” Kiko shrugged.

 

“Well, I guess I could present the project to the President once again and see what he thinks.” The producer smiled. “And I’m sorry if I made you feel bad. I’m just doing my job, Lexx.”

 

“N-No! It’s okay!” Lexx shook her head. The girls smiled at each other.

 

“This meeting is over.” The producer got on his feet, followed by the group. “Thank you for coming.” He bowed.

 

“Thank you!” The girls shouted back.

 

On the way to their dorm the girls started wondering about how the show would be like.

 

“Who do you think we will be paired with?” Hannah asked as she powdered her nose. “This is gonna be so much fun!”

 

“Dunno.” Kiko closed her eyes to get some sleep. “Don’t care either.”

 

“How about you act like a girl for once in your life, Tsukiko?” Hannah hit her in the face with a pillow.

 

“Yah!” The rapper hit her back.

 

“D-Do you think we will have to…k-kiss?” Lexx blushed just from thinking about it.

 

“Of course not.” Jae laughed. “You heard the producer. You are too young for that stuff.”

 

“We don’t even know if we will be casted. We should focus on our activities for now and not get distracted.” Yujin, the voice of reason, spoke.

 

“Boring~” Hannah mouthed. Then she turned to the manager, who had been unusually quiet for the whole ride. “So manager Kyu, how do you feel about your girlfriend dating another man in national television?”

 

“Ecstatic.” Kyuhyun said sarcastically. “I hope things go well between her and her new partner.”

 

“Hannah!” Yujin smacked her in the arm.

 

“He has the right to talk about his feelings!” Hannah shouted. “When did you turned from leader to dictator, huh?” Then she crossed her arms and slumped in her seat.

 

“Idiot.” Kiko mumbled, more sleep than awake.

 

The whole van went quiet. Hannah had immersed herself in her cellphone while Kiko was off to dreamland. Even Yujin, who never fell asleep in the car, was sleeping peacefully with Kyuhyun’s arm around her. Lexx was simply looking out the window, still worried about the whole dating show thing.

 

Jae was quietly observing the couple that was sitting in front of her. Yujin and Kyuhyun were so perfect for each other that it seemed surreal. Even if she didn’t admit it, she felt jealous from time to time. She also wanted someone to be with her no matter what. Then Suho came to her mind. She was happy things were kind of progressing, but she wondered if Suho will ever put his pride aside and simply be with her. What if he didn’t liked her back and was just simply messing with her?

 

It hurts…” Jae thought as she imagined Suho telling her to disappear from his sight.

 

Suddenly Lexx’s phone rang, waking everyone up.

 

“Hello?” She answered quickly. Then her eyes widened and her smiled began to show. “Hyunki!”

 

“Careful Lexx, you might just get a heart attack.” Hannah giggled at Lexx’s obvious excitement.

 

“How are you? Did you saw our debut?...Yes?....Did you liked it?” Lexx continued talking happily on her phone.

 

“Keep it down.” Lexx mumbled groggily.

 

“Let her be.” Yujin yawned. “You know they hardly get to talk to each other ever since she moved to Seoul. They must miss each other so much.”

 

“WHAT?! YOU’LL BE IN SEOUL FOR A DAY?” Lexx screamed her lungs out.

 

“Great, I think I’m deaf now.” Jae rubbed her ears.

 

“This Saturday?” Lexx’s face suddenly fell. I have plans with Sehun that day, she thought. “What? Oh no, Saturday is fine! I can’t wait!...Yeah, I love you too.” She added sweetly before hanging up.

 

“Sounds like someone has plans for the weekend.” Hannah said.

 

“Yeah.” Lexx said as she giggled. “Hyunki is coming!”

 

“I’m happy for you.” Yujin patted the maknae’s head. “But remember we have morning practice that day, too.”

 

“No problem! He said he will pick me up at the company after practice.”

 

“Okay then.” Yujin nodded before going back to sleep.

 

“Now I just have to tell Sehun…” Lexx whispered. “Saturday is in two days. I better tell him fast.”

 

===========================================================================================

 

“WHAT?” All the 17 members of EXO said at once. “What do you mean the performance was cancelled?!”

 

They had all assembled in the largest practice room to start rehearsing as planned, but apparently it was not going to happen.

 

“That’s exactly what I mean.” Kangin explained. “The president said it is not the right time for such a big performance. EXO-G should focus on promotional activities right now.”

 

“This !” Hannah stomped her feet like a little child. “We were supposed to perform together for the first time.” She looked a Luhan.

 

“The time will come, silly.” He gave her a comforting hug. “Concentrate on your own work right now.”

 

“And I had gotten all fired up for this…” Kiko threw her hoodie over her head and went to lean against the wall.

So what now? We returned to Korea just for this stage.” Chen said.

 

“The president is truly sorry about this.” Kanging explained. “He promised to make it up to you.”

 

“Make it up how, exactly?” Tao was suddenly interested.

 

“He didn’t gave me any details, but he mentioned something about a weekend in Jeju Island. All the costs are on him.”

 

“ALRIGHT!” Baekhyun jumped on Xiu Min’s back. “This is gonna be freaking awesome!”

 

“He didn’t give me an exact date, though.” Kanging added.

 

“I hope it’s within this life time.” D.O. chuckled.

 

“Okay, everyone take a break before your next activity!” Kangin clapped his hands. “You’ve worked hard!”

 

“Take a break from what?”

 

“Is he crazy?”

 

“Really, I have important things to do. I don’t have time to waste.”

 

Everyone grunted and complained, but they did as told and decided to rest a bit before their next schedules.

 

“Um, Sehun?” Lexx apporched the other maknae hesitantly as everyone else dressed up to leave the practice room.

 

“Hi!” Sehun waved as he wrapped a scarf around his neck. “Are you ready for tomorrow?” He gave her an adorable eye-smile.

 

“Yeah, about that…” Lexx scratched the back of her head. “I don’t think I’ll be able to make it tomorrow.”

 

“Oh…” Sehun tried to hide his disappointment. “Do you have schedule or…?”

 

“Actually, I have someone I’ve got to meet tomorrow no matter what.” She said.

 

“Someone else?” Sehun’s features hardened and Lexx took notice. “A…guy?”

 

“Mhm.” Lexx nodded once without making eye contact. “But I promise to make it up to you, okay? I really will.”

 

“No, it’s fine. Have fun tomorrow.” Sehun grunted, stuffed his hands into his pockets, and went back to s. Lexx felt terrible, but if she did not meet Hyunki tomorrow who knows when she would get another chance.

 

“Is something wrong?” Jae noticed Lexx’s depressed expression.

 

“Nope!” Lexx immediately turned her frown into a grin. “I’m fine.”

 

“Are you sure? Because you were-“

 

“I’m fine. Seriously! Hey, Suho is right there. You should go talk to him!” Lexx changed the topic drastically and then began pushing Jae towards Suho, who was looking especially pissed that morning.

 

“I don’t know. He looks kind of not in the mood.” Jae planted her feet on the ground, reluctant to move.

 

“Just go! What happened to your confidence?” Lexx gave Jae one last push with all her strength, causing Jae to stumble forward and bump into Suho’s side.

 

“S-Sorry.” Jae’s eyes widened. She looked over her shoulder and watched a giggling Lexx running away. That girl…

 

“Yeah.” Suho answered as he threw his bag over his shoulder.

 

“Are you going somewhere?” Jae asked him.

 

He stared at her blankly. “Why?”

 

“So I can go with you.” Jae tilted her head. “I-I don’t have anywhere to go and we have some free time.”

 

Silence. Then a smirk appeared on Suho’s lips. “Jung Jae Hwa, are you asking me out on a date? How daring.”

 

“I have to be daring so you will take notice of me.” Jae folded her arms against her chest.

 

“Do you think we can be that careless? What if someone sees us?” Suho scoffed. “Is it okay to start another rumor only weeks after your debut?”

 

“Don’t underestimate me. I can fix that.” Jae smiled. Then she spun around, walked towards Kiko and pulled her by the wrist back to where Suho was waiting. Then she grabbed another guy randomly and dragged him as well.

 

“Hey! What are you-“ Baekhyun said, startled, as Jae pulled him out of nowhere. He looked at Kiko in search for an answer, but she looked as confused as he did.

 

“There.” Jae smiled at Suho pointed at the couple she had picked. “Now it will only be four close friends hanging out.”

 

“What close friends?” Suho shook his head at Jae’s quick thinking.

 

“You two don’t mind coming with us for a little while, right?” Jae pleaded with her eyes.

 

“Going where? I have things to do, you know?” Baekhyun scowled.

 

“I don’t really mind.” Kiko said, not very interested.

 

“Oh, then I guess I don’t mind either.” Baekhyun changed his answer.

 

“Dude, seriously?” Suho smacked Baekhyun in the arm. He was starting to understand what was happening in Baekhyun’s mind. “Have some pride.”

 

“Shut up.” Baekhyun rubbed the sore spot.

 

“So are we going or what?” Kiko tapped her foot.

 

“Fine.” Suho agreed. “But only for a couple of hours.”

 

“It’s settled then!” Jae said. “Lets go!”

 

From afar, a small crowd was observing the four people happily leaving.

 

“What happened while we were in China?” Kris asked Yujin and Hannah. “You guys used to hate each other. You made up with EXO-K or what?”

 

“Yeah, I remember last time Kiko and Lexx tried to throw EXO-K’s bags out the window of the last floor.” Luhan chuckled.

 

“I guess they finally realized that the members of a group should work together.” Yujin said, pleased.

 

“I still don’t like them, if it makes you feel better.” Hannah flicked her hair.

 

“The feeling is mutual.” Kai, who was standing unexpectedly close, retorted.

 

“Is someone in this group talking to you, jerk?” Hannah snapped.

 

“Oh, Hannah. How long will it take you to understand that I don’t give a about your stupid comments.” Kai scowled.

 

“Easy, easy.” Luhan penetrated the distance between Hannah and Kai. “We’re all partners here.”

 

“Get your facts right, Luhan. He only has that Hyunah in his dirty mind.” Hannah teased.

 

“I’d rather have her as a partner than you, you talentless brat.” Kai responded.

 

“I have more talent in one fingernail than you in your whole body.” Hannah pushed past Luhan to face Kai.

 

“Wake up, idiot. Looking pretty is not a talent.” Kai stepped forward as well.

 

“You-“ Hannah clenched her fists. Her eyes were starting to get moist, but she refused to cry in front of Kai.

 

“Hannah…” Yujin reached for her friend. Kai hit one of Hannah’s soft spots by calling her talentless and she was starting to get pissed, too.

 

“Aren’t you going a bit too far?” Yujin stepped up for Hannah.

 

“This has nothing to do with you, Yujin. Please stay out of it.” Kai glared at her.

 

“Cool it man. Yujin is older than you. Pay some respect.” Chanyeol appeared behind Kai and gripped his shoulder. “And remember who helped you when you were drugged out of your mind.”

 

“Kai was drugged? Man, we need to come to Korea more often.” Kris commented. “We keep missing the good stuff.”

 

“Fine.” Kai pulled away from Chanyeol’s grip. “I am meeting up with Hyunah anyways. I don’t have time for Hannah’s tantrums.”

 

“Have fun.” Hannah shouted. “You guys are perfect for each other!”

 

Kai buttoned his jacket at stormed off, completely pissed.

 

“Kai!” Someone called after him as he exited the practice room. It was Luhan.

 

“What.” Kai answered without slowing down.

 

“Stop!” Luhan grabbed Kai’s wrist and forced the kid to face him.

 

“Look, if you are here to yell at me for what I said to your dear Hannah just save it.” Kai said, fuming.

 

“Woah, someone is touchy.” Luhan messed Kai’s hair. “And I know Hannah can be a little…sensitive about certain things.”

 

“A little?” Kai said. “Luha, Hannah is the epitome of sensitivity.”

 

“I know, I know.” Luhan said. “But there is something you should now about her. I’m not trying to make excuses for her, but maybe you will understand a little about her if you listen to me.”

 

“You have five minutes.” Kai looked at his watch. “Go.”

 

“Hannah became a trainee before her other members.” Luhan explained. “She wasn’t the social butterfly she is right now and she had a tough time fitting in. As you said, Hannah isn’t an outstanding singer or dancer like Lexx and Yujin are, and the other trainee’s could see that.”

 

“So?” Kai asked.

 

“She became a target of bullying. The other trainee’s would use her as an outlet for their frustration and stress.” Luhan suddenly became stiff. “Nasty comments like ‘you have no talent’ and ‘what was the company thinking when they hired you?’ were common.”

 

Kai stayed quiet, but kept listening carefully.

 

“Still, she worked twice as hard to improve in all the fields. She wasn’t brave enough to ask for help, and unlike you who were close to DBSK and SHINee even as a trainee, she didn’t had the sunbaes to come to her rescue. I was the first person she ever talked to in SM.”

 

“Is that why you two are so close?” Kai asked softly.

 

“That’s right.” Luhan smiled. “She may look arrogant and selfish, but she still has those scars her trainee days left her. After the other four girls joined the company and she was told she would debut she promised me that never again would she let someone step over her.”

 

“I know what you’re trying to tell me, Luhan.” Kai said. “But she has no right to treat me like crap. I won’t let her.”

 

“And do you treat her any better?” Luhan raised an eyebrow. “I don’t know if you notice dhow close she was to crying when you told her she was a talentless brat, but I hope you will be more careful about what you say to her. She has a temper, but life forced her to be that way.”

 

“I have to go now.” Kai looked at his watch. He noticed his hands were trembling a little.

 

“Yeah, sorry for keeping you so long. Just try to remember what I just told you.” Luahn waved. “Have fun, okay? Say hi to Hyunah for me.”

 

“Yeah, bye.” Kai waved back and continued walking down to the lobby. Guilt continued to build up in his chest. That stupid girl, he thought, she could’ve said something. But, would I have listened?