A Promise

EXO-G *{SM New Girl Group}*

 

“Can you believe her?!” Kai fumed as he was changing out of his stage costume.

 

“Yeah, yeah.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes and leaned towards D.O. “Dude, if I have to continue listening to his whining for the whole night I think my ears will bleed.”

 

“Chill out, man.” Chanyeol yawned. “Maybe we should talk about something else. Oh, I know! How about we talk about Sehun kissing Lexx out of nowhere.”

 

Sehun blushed instantly.

 

“Now that’s interesting.” Baekhyun smirked. “Come one, maknae. What’s the deal with you and the other maknae?”

 

“It was just for luck!” Sehun said, flustered. “She was very nervous and I just, you know, tried to encourage her a little. I swear!”

 

“Where you always this stupid, Sehun?” D.O. chuckled. “You like her.”

 

“You do?” Chanyeol shot him a look.

 

“Talk. Now.” Baekhyun demanded.

 

“SO WHAT IF I DO?” Sehun lost his last bit of patience. “I can like whoever I want, alright?! You guys are such a pain.” He snatched his jacket from the couch and ran out of the dressing room.

 

“I think we over did it.” Baekhyun said.

 

“Probably.” D.O. shrugged.

 

“Hello!~” SHINee’s Key walked in, loudly as ever.

 

“What’s up.” D.O. waved.

 

“Have any of you seen Kiko?” Kay looked around the dressing room, hoping to find her.

 

“Why?” Baekhyun turned his head, suddenly interested.

 

“I sent Taemin to tell her I was looking for her. I Hannah a few seconds ago and she told me Lexx was actually trying to find me.” Key smiled like a little boy. “Can you believe that? S.M.’s ice beauty is looking for me!”

 

“Ice beauty? Where the hell did that came from?” Kai frowned.

 

“You guys don’t know?” Key tilted his head. “That’s how they call her back in the company. DBSK sunbaes started it. I heard Yunho had some sort of crush on her.”

 

“He did?” Baekhyun grumbled.

 

“I had no idea.” D.O. nodded. “Well, she is quite pretty. You know, underneath that whole ‘bad boy’ get up.”

 

“Well, I better go find her before she changes her mind.” Key said. “Bye kids!”

 

“Wait!” Baekhyun ran after him. “I-I’ll help you!”

 

“Aw, thanks man.” Key wrapped his arm around Baekhyun’s neck.

 

“So, um, Key.” Baekhyun said awkwardly as they searched the cafeteria.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you like Kiko or something?” He asked as casually as he could manage.

 

“Good question.” Key smiled and stuffed his hands in his pockets. “Honestly, I’m not sure.”

 

“But she’s so different from the girls you usually go for.” Baekhyun panicked.

 

“I know, right?” Baekhyun could swear he saw Kay blushing a little. “Kiko is so honest and straight forward that it drives me crazy. I used to think she was just weird, but then I got to know her…”

 

“Oh.” Baekhyun mouthed.

 

“You’ll keep this a secret, right?” Key pushed Baekhyun playfully.

 

“Of course!” Baekhyun forced a smile. “I won’t tell a soul.”

 

“Look!” Key’s face brightened. “There she is!”

 

Baekhyun raised his head and saw Kiko walking to them. She was still wearing her costume, which consisted of black leather shorts, a silver tank top, and a fur jacket on top. Her makeup was y and flawless.

 

“Hey.” She nodded. “I was looking for you.”

 

“Kiko!” Key waved and gave her a tight hug, which Kiko returned to Baekhyun’s surprise. “You were so pretty tonight! Your rap was totally cool.”

 

“Thanks.” Kiko grinned proudly. “I’m glad you liked it.”

 

She’s glad HE liked it?! Baekhyun pressed his tongue against his cheek, annoyed. For the next fifteen minutes he just stood there watching Kiko and Key talking like they were the closest friends ever. She even laughed a couple of times.

 

“Oh, shoot.” Key glanced at his watch. “It’s late. I have schedule now.”

 

“No worries. Go.” Kiko told him.

 

“This .” Key was obviously disappointed. “You’ll text me later, right?”

 

“Sure.” Kiko nodded.

 

When Key left, Baekhyun stood there a few more seconds before turning around and walking away.

 

“Wait!” Kiko called after him.

 

Baekhyun turned around, not sure if she had actually called him.

 

“About that thing we talked about before the performance, I-“ Kiko said uncomfortably. She was embarrassed of her behavior.

 

“You don’t have to say anything.” Baekhyun stopped her. “I won’t tell anyone.”

 

“That’s not it.” Kiko shook her head. She lowered her head and clenched her hands together. It was the first time Baekhyun saw her acting as such a girl.

 

“I wanted to thank you.” She looked straight at his eyes. “If it wasn’t for you, I would’ve probably stayed in the bathroom the whole night.”

 

“You’re welcome.” Baekhyun said.

 

“I’m serious. If you need someone to talk sometime, I’m your person.” Kiko extended her hand to him. “Your phone. Give me.”

 

Baekhyun pulled his phone out of his pocket and observed closely as Kiko saved her number in the contact list.

 

“Now we’re talking.” She handed the phone back.

 

“Yeah…” Baekhyun murmured as he stared at Kiko’s number in the screen.

 

“Well, I should go.” Kiko said. “Oh, and Baekhyun? I’m glad you were the one who saw me cry instead of someone else.” Then she walked away as coolly as ever.

 

“Yeah, me too.” He smiled with delight.

 

==================================================================================

 

“Jae?” Jonghyun snapped his fingers in front of her face. “JAE!”

 

“Huh?” She snapped out of her daze. “What, what?”

 

“You have been dazing off for a while now. I feel like I’m talking to myself.” Jonghyun poked her forehead. “Everything alright?”

 

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that.” Jae poked him back. She had been hanging out in SHINee’s dressing room for a while now, but for some reason she felt a little gloomy.

 

“I know you better than that, Jae.” Jonghyun lowered his tone. “Is this about…Suho?”

 

“Yeah.” Jae sighed.

 

“You admitted it so easily.” Jonghyun chuckled. “That’s just like you.”

 

“Why does he hates me, Hyun?” Jae crossed her arms, pensively. “Is it because I’m in EXO-G?”

 

“Jae having boy trouble? I thought I would never see this.” Jonghyun teased.

“Seriously?” Jae glared at him.

 

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding. It’s just weird seeing something like this get to you. You’re always so cool about everything.” Jonghyun pinched her cheek.

 

“You’re not helping.”

 

“Dear Jae. The problem here is quite obvious.” Jonghyun shook his head. “You’re just too blunt to see it.”

 

“You know why he dislikes me so much? Tell me!”

 

“Nuh-uh. You figure it out yourself.” Jonghyun got up from his seat and started picking up his bags. “I have to go. The others are already waiting for me in the car. Think about what I just told you okay?”

 

“Idiot.” Jae thought.

 

============================================================================================

 

The girls got back to the dorm closed to midnight and went to bed at three in the morning. They spent hours talking about their debut and how perfect it had been. One by one started to fall asleep next to each other in the living room, just like they used to do when they first entered the company.

 

The only one left awake was Jae, who kept replaying the Suho incident over and over in her head. After much thinking, she came up with a singe rational explanation to what was going on.

 

“Jae?” Hannah woke up because of Jae’s constant stirring. She rubbed the sleep off her eyes and sat closer to Jae. “You okay?”

 

“I’m fine.” Jae smiled. “Go back to sleep.”

 

“No way.” Hannah whispered. “I smell girl talk. Come on, lets chat in my room.”

 

They tip toed into Hannah’s room, the lights, and sat on the floor comfortably.

 

“Shoot.” Hannah said as she peeled her facial mask off and applied a few other skin products.

 

“Hannah.” Jae began. “I think I like Suho.”

 

“WHAT?” Hannah dropped the hydrating cream on the floor, spilling the content on the floor. “Did you just said you LIKE Suho?! The Suho we both know?”

 

“That’s right. It’s the only explanation.” Jae nodded. She wasn’t neither embarrassed nor flustered. Instead, she felt like she had made a huge discovery. As if she had found the missing piece of a puzzle that had been bothering her for a while.

 

“I can’t believe how composed you’re right now. Do you realize what you just said?!” Hannah shook Jae by the shoulders.

 

“Of course I do.” Jae looked at Hannah in a funny manner. “What’s wrong with my reaction? There is no reason to freak out about something like this.”

 

“OF COURSE THERE IS!” Hannah shouted. “This calm personality of yours is freaking me out.”

 

“I think I should tell him.” Jae decided.

 

“You will?!”

 

“Why not? Isn’t that the normal thing to do?” Jae cocked her head.

 

“It is, but I think you should think about it? What if you get hurt? I’m worried about this, Jae.” Hannah said frankly. “EXO-K and us do not really get along.”

 

“If I get hurt than I’ll move on and that’s it.” Jae shrugged.

 

“You’re helpless.” Hannah scoffed. “But I see your point and you have my support.”

 

“Thanks, Hannah.” Jae hugged her. “I mean it.”

 

“Now it’s your turn.” Jae raised an eyebrow at her friend and they pulled away from the hug. “What happened between you and Hyunah today? Lexx told me about it.”

 

“She is a , that’s all.” Hannah made a face. “She and the other 4minute freak are both stuck up divas.”

 

“You’re a diva too, you know.”

 

“Yeah, but I have talent and looks to back up my attitude.” Hannah answered smugly. Jae admired her confidence.

 

“Lexx also told me something interesting.” Jae sneered. “She said you suddenly got pissed when you saw her with Kai. What is that about?”

 

“Nonsense, that’s what it is.” Hannah said. “I was just surprised when he defended the tramp instead of me, his fellow member.”

 

“If you say so.” Jae yawned. “I’m going to bed. Wish me luck tomorrow.”

 

“You’re confessing tomorrow?” Hannah’s eyes widened. “That’s, like, a few hours away!”

 

“More reason to go to bed right now.” Jae stretched her arms. “Good night, Hannah.”

 

“Good night.” Hannah replied. “I hope everything goes well tomorrow.”

 

“Me too.”

 

=============================================================================================

 

Next day was hectic. Hundreds of articles, pictures, and comments on EXO-G’s debut popped up from every entertainment article and show. There were a few negative responses, but most of it was from jealous fans that didn’t like the idea of the five girls being the ‘princesses’ of EXO. The overall response was quite positive.

 

“Did you see this!” Lexx read the news from her phone. “Our song is in the top three of the Billboard, Melon and Oricon music charts!”

 

“No way!” Hannah snatched the phone and read it to herself. “This is major!”

 

“And only the beginning.” Yujin added. “From here onwards we will just keep getting better and better.”

 

It was only noon and the girls had already had two interviews and a press conference. They were absolutely exhausted and they had only had half a day of schedule. They had a few hours of free time before a photo shoot at four, which they decided to spend in the company’s lounge room.

 

“Jae, don’t you have something important to do?” Hannah whispered into Jae’s ear.

 

“I do, but the guys are recording a show in KBS.” Jae said. “Believe me, I’m the one who wants to get this done the most.”

 

“What are you two whispering about?” Lexx looked at them suspiciously.

 

“Nothing.” Jae said calmly.

 

“Girls!” Donghae walked in.

 

“Hello.” They all waved sluggishly.

 

“I have news from the President. Are you ready?” He clapped his hands together happily. “EXO will have a special stage. Al the 17 members will have a joint performance on Inkigayo three weeks from now!”

 

“Awesome.” Hannah grumbled.

 

“You mean EXO-M is coming back from China?” Lexx asked, a little exited. It had been a while since she last saw them.

 

“That’s right. They arrive tomorrow.” Donghae nodded. “We begin rehearsal in three days so be ready.”

 

“This is gonna be so weird.” Kiko said. “What is the concept?”

 

“I don’t know the details, but I’ll let you know as soon as the President informs me. EXO-K just came back from their recording and I have to go tell them too.”

 

“They’re back?” Jae stood up. “Mind if I go with you?”

 

“Sure. I’m glad you’re excited about this.” Donghae smiled.

 

“Good luck.” Hannah gave Jae one last encouraging nod.

 

==========================================================================================

 

“A joint performance?” Sehun asked.

 

“With the girls?” Kai added. He was not very happy with the idea mostly because by "girls" he meant Hannah.

 

“It will be impossible.” Suho said. “It will be a complete mess.”

 

“I think it will be fun.” Chanyeol smiled.

 

“It’s not like we have a choice. The President already decided.” D.O. said. “It’s no use complaining about it now.”

 

Baekhyun only nodded.

 

“So what is she doing here?” Suho pointed at Jae, who was quietly standing next to Donghae.

 

“She came along to share the news.” Donghae explained. “I guess we’re leaving now.”

 

“Wait.” Jae spoke. “I have something to tell Suho.”

 

The guys exchanged glances and then they all looked at Suho.

 

“Just go, man.” D.O. pushed him forward.

 

Suho seemed reluctant at first but he eventually gave in and followed Jae to the hallway.

 

“What.” He asked flatly.

 

“I have something important to tell you.” She answered casually.

 

“Me? You sure you’re not looking for Jonghyun? I just saw him arriving in his car-“ Jae pressed her hand against Suho’s mouth to stop his blabber.

 

“Listen, okay?” She said.

 

“What is wrong with you?!” Suho pulled her hand away from his mouth.

 

“Would you shut up for a sec?!” Jae shouted, quieting Suho.

 

“Make it fast.”

 

“I like you.” She said without hesitating. “Fast enough for you?”

 

Suho’s expression didn’t change. He didn’t seem shocked nor moved.  It was as if Jae had just told him something as trivial as the time. Suddenly, he made his move. He took a couple of steps closer to Jae, forcing her to step backwards until her back hit the wall. He leaned his hands against the wall, leaving her no room to escape.

 

“You like me?” He asked.

 

“I just said that.” She said as confidently as she could. These were her feelings she was confessing and she was not going to run away.

 

Suho leaned in even closer until his lips brushed against her ear.

 

“Prove it.” He said.

 

“Is this a test?” She asked.

 

“A challenge.” Suho said. “Show me what you’ve got. If you’re up for it, that is.”

 

Jae pressed a hand against his chest and pushed him away.

 

“Watch out then. You may fall when you least expect it.” She said with a playful spark in her eyes.

 

“Is that a threat?” He chuckled.

 

“A promise.”