Chapter 8

A Place Where I Belong

 

The vibration of my phone woke me up from my imagination. I smiled as I see the ID of my caller. Changjo called me. Maybe he wanted to ask why I was absent.  I felt like an idiot because I skipped school just because of private cases. I was back to routines just like when I haven’t met Minyoung. And I saw Minyoung was running towards me. My imagination has gone wild. I realized it as she came closer that wasn’t my imagination. She ran towards me for real! As she came closer and closer, I can smell her scent clearly.

‘Why you skip school? Is it because of yesterday? Why you ran from my room without even say bye?’

She asked me as she tried to control her heartbeat. She looked so beautiful no matter how many times I looked at her.

‘Kim Myungsoo! I’m asking you! Why you don’t want to answer me?’, she asked while a drop of her tears fell from the corner of her eyes.

I don’t know what to say and I touched her red cheeks as I wiped her tears away.

‘Don’t cry, Minyoung. Why are you crying?’ I asked her.

‘You are so stupid, Kim Myungsoo! Why do you skip school?!’ she yelled at me and hit me as hard as she could.

‘I’m fine. Don’t worry. I’ll be back to school tomorrow. Now you have to go to school. You shouldn’t skip school.’ I told her. I brush her cheeks lightly and turned around leaving her there, watching me gone. Unconsciously, my tears dropped as I saw the image of Minyoung cried in my mind. I headed back to my house and locked myself in my room. My phone rings again. This time, I don’t know the number. Lazily, I answered the phone.

‘Myungsoo! What’s wrong with you?’, Changjo said from the other line.

‘Just felt sick. Anyway, I’ll be back to school tomorrow. There’s nothing to be worried about. Bye!’

I turned off my phone so it can stop disturbing me. I couldn’t stop thinking about Minyoung. Then I remembered something important. How could I leave Minyoung like that in the park? What if something happened to her? I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if that happened. So I went back to the park but no one was there. Maybe Minyoung has left that place as what I told her before. I couldn’t blame her if she hated me. My reaction to her before might hurt her too much. I couldn’t see her being hurt; I have to apologize to her. On my way back, I stopped in a florist shop and bought a bouquet of roses.

-Evening-

I went to Minyoung’s house and her mom told me that she wasn’t at home. I asked her mom where did she go but she also didn’t know. So I asked Minyoung’s number. Then I tried to call her several times but no one answered. I thought of so many things about Minyoung, what if she’s in danger? Who would help her? I got my car keys and went to look for her. Would she be in Sunggyu’s house? Did she ask Sunggyu to comfort her? I need to check to his house. I drove all the way to Sunggyu’s house, not even trying to have bad impressions to him. I knocked the door and Sunggyu opened the door for me. I asked him where is Minyoung and my guess was right, she was here and she’ll sleep overnight in his house. As Minyoung came and stood in front of the door, I ran to her and hugged her tightly. Her eyes widen in shocked as I hugged her spontaneously and began to apologize to her even though I didn’t know what my mistakes were.