ICU

Lipstick


Kyuhyun's eyes were looking at her, with a faint smile on his face. 

"Kyu?? You are awake!! I'm so sorry for being stubborn and only think of myself! It's my fault you became like this..." Sungmin sobbed while still clasping his hand. 

With difficulty, he shook his head. He couldn't speak because of the oxygen mask and Sungmin could clearly see that he was trying to speak. 

"No, no, Kyu, don't try to speak. It's ok, I know you didn't blame me. But I need to blame myself for putting you in this state. I promise you that I will be with you wherever you are and I will support you" Sungmin sobbed again. She held his hand and kissed it again and again. 

The sound of door opening made Sungmin turned around. Changmin nodded at her and smile "Sungmin-ssi, hello! How is our friend here?" 

"Hi Changmin-ssi. He has just awake but he can't talk yet.." 
Changmin nodded and Sungmin could see that he was sad, looking at the state his best friend is in now. Changmin cared for Kyuhyun like a brother and always supported him in work matters or life matters. 

"Hey buddy!" Changmin said while stepping nearer and looking at his friend "You looked horrible" and Kyuhyun made a face as though saying "damn you", making Changmin laughed. He squeezed Kyuhyun's hand lightly to give him some encouragement and adjusted his blanket.

Kyuhyun used his eyes to tell Changmin to see his chest which was now heavily bandaged after the surgery. Changmin slowly flipped the blanket and his face dropped seeing all the tubes and wires at his friend's chest. Sungmin saw it too, and her eyes started to be teary again. 

"You will get well again Kyu, don't worry too much ok. And don't worry about your car, I will handle it. Just concentrate on your recovery" Changmin gave his hand a squeeze to give him some encouragement. 

He knew that in most cases, broken ribs usually heal on their own in one or two months. Adequate pain control is important so that the patient can continue to breathe deeply and avoid lung complications, such as pneumonia. 
A broken rib, however, can also injure blood vessels and internal organs. The risk increases with the number of broken ribs. Complications vary depending on which ribs break
He hope that Kyuhyun's injuries would heal fast and not causing any other complications. 

Giving them some time alone, Sungmin signalled to Changmin that she would wait outside. 

"Sungmin dear, how is he?" Mrs Cho asked her after patted the vacant seat next to her, inviting Sungmin to sit. 

"He is conscious now Mrs Cho, and he tried to talk, but I told him to take it slowly and don't try to talk first" Sungmin said with a sad voice. She hasn't quite got over her shock and she felt that she started shaking.

"He will be alright. Please don't keep blaming yourself. Maybe it is God's way of testing your love and telling both of you that you needed each other. Have faith and we pray for his speedy recovery okay" Mrs Cho said encouragingly. As a mother, of course she was shocked and said, seeing her only son in that state, but she has to be strong so that Kyuhyun can recover. 

Sungmin nodded and looked down sadly. She tried to calm herself and then she remembered that her parents had asked her to update them. "Mrs Cho, excuse me for a while. I just need to call my parents to update them". 

"Yes, please. Send my regards to your mother". 

Sungmin nodded and gave a little  smile, got up and walked to the lobby area to make the phone call. The lobby was deserted at this time of the night except for a cleaner ajushi who was emptying one of the dustbin next to the lift. The air-con was blasting and Sungmin felt herself shaking even more. She held the nearby seat and sat, and took out her phone to call her mother. 

Even her voice was shaking and her mother kept asking whether she was alright. "Sungminnie, if there is a vending machine, get something to eat. You are anaemic, you need to eat sonething" her mother said with concerned. 

"I don't know why I'm like this Omma. I can't seemed to stop shaking. Yeah I guess I must be hungry. But.. " looking around, she didn't see any vending machine " there's no food vending machine here". 

"Try to ask around. Or ask the nurse. Get something to eat ok. We will visit Kyuhyun tomorrow lunch time. Send my regards to Mrs Cho too" 

"OK I will, Omma. See you". 

Sungmin walked slowly towards the Ajushi and asked him if there is  any food vending machine. The Ajushi told her that there is one in the A&E ward, but it was quite far from here. 

She started shaking again and staggered to the side. The ajushi got alarmed and quickly called a nurse. Hearing the commotion, Mrs Cho turned towards the lift lobby and saw that a nurse and a cleaner were helping Sungmin who was seen like fainting. She got up in a haze and called her husband and they quickly ran towards Sungmin. 

A nurse guided Sungmin to lie down on a nearby stretcher. By then, the anaemic Sungmin has turn pale alarming Mrs Cho who had reached Sungmin and asked her what happened. Sungmin couldn't speak as she was in a verge of unconsciousness. 

"Ma'am, is she your family? I think she is anaemic, so we will push her to an observatory ward and put her on a drip, and gave her porridge" the nurse came back with a hospital bed with 2 more nurses. 

"Yes, she's our future daughter-in-law. I think she hasn't eaten anything since her last meal with my son. Will she be alright?" Mr Cho said, looking worriedly at Sungmin. Mrs Cho held Sungmin's hand and looked at Sungmin worriedly too. 

"After the drip and porridge, she should be alright, sir and ma'am. Do you have her particulars? Can you register her at the nurse counter?" the nurse pointed politely to the nurse station. 

"Thank you, nurse. Errr, let me check her handbag at the seat near the ICU and will register for her. Where will she be? You said at observatory ward?" Mrs Cho asked. 

"It's at the wing here, ma'am" the nurse gestured her hand towards the wing opposite the ICU wing. "1st ward on your left". 

Mr Cho nodded and Mrs Cho said her thanks. 

"Dear, you check her bag and pass her ID card to me. I will register her, so you can go over to see her" Mr Cho said while they walk back to the seats outside the ICU. 

"Should we go in and tell Kyuhyun, dear?" Mrs Cho said while checking Sungmin's bag. 

Looking at his wife in deep thoughts, Mr Cho said "Kyu just woke up from unconsciousness, but I think the one person he would want to be next to him is Sungmin. You go ahead to see her, I will inform Kyu after I am done with the registration" Mr Cho nodded at his wife. 

When Mr Cho came back to the ICU later, Changmin was out looking for Sungmin. "Abunim, Kyu is asking for Sungmin, has she gone home?" 

Mr Cho pulled Changmin towards the seats and told him what had happened to her. Changmin was surprised and with concerned look, he said "Oh my, should I get something for her to eat? I think porridge might not be filling for her". 

"Can you help to get something at the cafeteria? Maybe sandwich or buns?"

"Ok, abunim. I go now" Changmin patted Mr Cho's shoulder, got up and walked off. 

Mr Cho walked into the ICU and felt sad that Kyuhyun was anticipating Sungmin but there was only him who walked in. At Kyuhyun's questioning look, Mr Cho slowly told his son what happened to Sungmin. 

Kyuhyun became very worried and wanted to get up. He started making noise and wanted to remove the wires. He felt sharp pain at the chest and a few nurses started running in to the ICU, to calm him down. He looked at his father for help and his father understood that Kyuhyun wanted him to make sure that Sungmin is alright.

Then, Kyuhyun lost his consciousness again after a nurse gave him a jab.