Something unexpected

Lipstick


Sungmin got out of the car and stomped off. She was upset that Kyuhyun suggested that they postpone their wedding.

Kyuhyun quickly got out and ran after her and gently hold her arm "Min, I don't mean it that way. I just feel that I'm not giving you any chance to continue with your musical. I'm sorry ok" Kyuhyun desperately tell her with all sincerity that he could show. He didn't want his job secondment resulted in their first quarrel. 

Sungmin was quiet. It was true that she was only thinking about her musical. Was she being fair to Kyuhyun? Kyuhyun was kind enough to arrange to bring her along because he didn't want them to be separated.

She took a deep breath and said "I'm sorry Kyu, I was just feeling upset about everything. Your sudden office offer to work at Gold Coast and then you said you are okay to postpone our wedding. It's just too much for me to bear".

Kyuhyun pull her into a hug. "I'm so sorry. Of course I want you to be mine as soon as possible, but I didn't want to force you to give up your dream. Forgive me ok?"

Sungmin nodded her head, hugged him back, and then looked up. "I will give some more thoughts about this. Let's go through this Saturday as per what has been plan. And I didn't want to postpone our wedding. I promise you I will give you my answer this Saturday when you are here".

"Min, I really didn't want to force you to give....." but Sungmin use her hand to stop Kyuhyun from finishing his sentence. 

"Don't say that. Yes you are not forcing me. In fact you are being considerate and I thank God that my dear fiancee is the nicest man on Earth. Ok, I better go in. Drive carefully ok. I love you, Kyu"

Kyuhyun bent down and pecked Sungmin's lips before letting her go completely. They were very near to Sungmin's gate and when Sungmin waved at him before entering the gate, he french-kiss her and waved back.

During his drive back home, he was deep in thoughts about what would be the best solution to his secondment problem. He didn't want to disappoint Sungmin who has been looking forward to her lead role in her next musical. But, he didn't want to go without her too. He made a left turn absentmindedly and didn't see another car in the same path. The loud screech and car-horn and crashed resulting both cars turned 180degrees before reaching to a stop. Other cars stopped and pedestrians came running to both cars to help the drivers. 

Sungmin had just finished her shower and wondered whether her boyfriend had reached home. She felt bad that she was upset just now and wanted to apologise to Kyu. It wasn't Kyuhyun's fault that he has to go to Gold Coast. Why can't she understand that? And it was a good opportunity for him and he has even negotiated with his company to bring her along. She should be grateful and support Kyuhyun and be with him. Her musical can wait, right? She can look for another role when they are back in Korea next time. She scolded herself for making Kyuhyun worried. She walked to her dressing table and checked her phone, but no missed call or message from Kyuhyun.

She dialled Kyuhyun's number but there was no answer. Maybe he just reached home and went to take his shower, she thought. 

At the accident site, both drivers were seen to be badly injured, and both were bent towards their wheel. Someone must have called the police and ambulance, because in about 5 minutes time, loud siren sound could be heard. There were a  bit of chaos at the site where a lot of shouting from the passersby asking the drivers whether they were okay.

Kyuhyun felt extreme pain on his chest and head. "What happened?" he asked himself. His mind trying to think but he felt like drowning into unconsciousness. "Oh gosh, I'm in an accident" he told himself and again, felt extreme pain on his chest. He saw his phone lighted up on the floor of his car, and it seemed so far away from his grasp  How did his phone ended up on the floor? He thought of Sungmin, maybe she was the one calling. He couldn't see the caller as his phone dropped face down. He fight to stay awake and subconsciously, he heard someone yanked his car door opened and a few people asking him if he was okay. He nodded and glanced at his phone which lighted again. He saw some paramedics running towards his car and told  the passersby to give way for them to help the driver. He felt his seat belt being cut and felt the extreme pain again but then couldn't remember what happened next as everything went black.

Sungmin was worried when Kyuhyun didn't return her call. Was he angry with her? Can't be, because he was okay just now. An hour became two hours, and she became worried again when she saw that her rabbit wall clock showed the time approaching midnight. She dialed his number again but still no answer. She bit her nails and was about to dial again when her phone rang with an unknown number.

"Hello?" Sungmin answered her phone.

"Is this Sungmin?" a woman asked softly over the other line. She sounded upset and there were noises at the background. 

"Yes, I am. Who is this on the line?"

"Sungmin! I'm Kyuhyun's mother. I'm... I'm sorry to call you so late...".

"Ohh, Mrs Cho. It's ok, I haven't sleep yet... Is..is there something wrong?"  Sungmin suddenly became nervous. 

"It's... it's.. Kyu.... He got into an accident on his way home. We got a call from the police and we rushed to the hospital. The police asked me to collect his belonging and his phone, and I saw that you called him, so I call to let you know...." 

Sungmin who had slumped onto her bed when she heard about Kyuhyun's accident, said with a shaking voice "Ohmygod, how is he Mrs Cho? Is he alright? Which hospital, I can go now" her tears started flowing. 

"The doctor was with us just now. He said Kyu broke about 3 rib cages, sustain head injuries and mislocated his left arm...."

Sungnin started sobbing. It was her fault! She made Kyuhyun worried and must have lost concentration while driving. "Mrs Cho, I want to see him...." 

"He is in Ewha University Seoul Hospital. It's alright dear, it's late and you shouldn't travel alone this late. I can update you again tomorrow morning. But can you let your parents know that we have to postpone our visit to your home because of Kyuhyun's accident?"

Still sobbing, Sungmin said "I will inform my parents, but I want to be with Kyu" Sungmin said, crying. 

"Alright, alright, but don't rush okay. We are at the ICU at 3rd floor..."

"Thank you Mrs Cho for calling me. I will go over soon" Sungmin said, already scrambling to open her cupboard to grab a sweater and her jeans. Running out, she knocked on her parents' door and told them what happened. Both her parents were shocked and wanted to go with her to the hospital, but Sungmin said she would go first and update her parents again. 

Her father called Uber for her and Sungmin managed to reach the hospital in a record time. She was practically running to the lift lobby and impatiently pressing the lift button. At 3rd floor, she dashed out and asked the nurse station the ICU where Cho Kyuhyun was, and the nurse politely pointed her to the 2nd ICU on her left. 

Mrs Cho was talking to a nurse and she looked up and waved at Sungmin. She hugged Sungmin and looking at her swollen face due to crying, she told her not to worry, as the nurse just told them that Kyuhyun is out of danger but still need close monitoring. 

"It's my fault, Mrs Cho, I made Kyu worried. It's my fault" and Sungmin started crying again. Mrs Cho hugged her again and told her repeatedly not to blame herself. 

"Come, let's go in to see Kyu. He is still unconscious but I'm glad that he is out of danger. My husband is on the line with Changmin to let him know, so we can go in as only 2 person are allowed at a time" Mrs Cho held Sungmin's hand and led her inside. 

Sungmin closed when she saw the state Kyuhyun was in. His head was bandaged, lots of wires on his bandaged chest, and his left hand was hooked to a drip. 

"His dislocated arm has been corrected and the doctor had done an emergency operation to open up his chest to join back his broken ribs. When I call you, he was just out of the operating theatre and wheel into this ICU" Mrs Cho told her softly and patted her hand while encourages her to go to Kyuhyun. 

Sungmin walked slowly to stand next to Kyuhyun's bed and still crying, held Kyuhyun's right hand. She brought it up to her lips and kissed it, and started sobbing again. Mrs Cho handed her a handkerchief, patted her back, and then slowly walked out to give Sungmin some privacy with her son. 

"I'm so sorry Kyu, you got worried because of me. I'm so sorry. Please wake up so that you can forgive me... please...." Sungmin said, kissing Kyuhyun's hand again. 

She looked at her beloved Kyu's face and felt so sad that her boyfriend was in pain. She wished that she could turn back the clock and wasn't upset with him just now.  She vowed that she would not make him worry anymore, and promised to be with him wherever he is. "I love you Kyu, I really love you. I promise that will be with you forever till eternity... "

She was still sobbing when she felt that the hand that she was holding, squeezed faintly at her hand. She looked at Kyuhyun's hand and it was grasping her hand. 

Alarmed, Sungmin looked at his face and Kyuhyun's eyes were looking at her, with a faint smile on his face...