Playing with Fire

Forever Now
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Youngjae’s POV*

We went back to my home and explained everything to my parents and Jaehwan. It was a lot for them to take in all at once. My mother had even walked out the room, crying. My father looked full of fear and worry. Jaehwan was scared.

This hurt me greatly, I’m causing my family grief. It hurt terribly to make my mother cry and then have to leave the next day. But they were very understanding and told me to be save, even though I hadn’t left yet. They were a little happy to hear that I would stay the night at home. “It’s okay Youngjae. All of this will be over in no time.” Daehyun whispered soothingly in my ear rubbing my back. All I could do was nod, even though I didn’t feel any better.

Daehyun and Himchan stayed until Jongup arrived at me house and then the two left.

 

 

“You sure you don’t want to sleep inside?” I asked Jongup when it came time for us to go to sleep. Night had fallen way too fast for my liking, even though we stayed up passed midnight. “I’m fine. I can’t be in werewolf form in your house, that’s rude.” Jongup smiled. I looked at him with confusion. “My scent will be much stronger and overpowering in my wolf state.” He explained. I nodded in understanding. “Good night.” He smiled. He was always in a good mood. “Night.” I said. “Nighty night!” Jaehwan called as Jongup walked out the back door.

“Is he really going to sleep outside in our backyard?” Jaehwan asked. “I guess so.” I said. The two of us watched as Jongup walked further away from the house, until he was several yards away, and then an amazing thing happened. He transformed into a full grown werewolf!

His dark brown fur was magnificent as it seemed to glisten in the moonlight. He was a large ferocious animal, but he was such a beautiful creature and friendliness was apparent in his eyes. “Cool~” Jaehwan gasped. Jongup howled at the moon as I slowly closed the door.

Jaehwan and I said our good nights to our parents before heading up the stairs to our own rooms. “Um…Youngjae…” Jaehwan said. “Yeah? “Can I…Can I sleep in your bed tonight? With you?” The 10 year old asked, rocking side to side, Poppy in his arms. “Of course.” I said opening my bedroom door. “Yay!” Jaehwan cheered, running into my room. I entered the room behind him and closed the door.

Jaehwan jumped on the bed and I crawled in afterwards, pulling the blanket over us. Jaehwan scooted close to me, snuggling in my side comfortably. “Youngjae…” He said. “Hm?” “Are those guys really going to try to kill you?” He asked.

I was a bit through off, not expecting such a question. “They’ll try to.” Was my response. “Do you think you can really save the D.O. guy?” He questioned. I nodded, more to myself. “Yes. I will do all I can.” I said determined. “I believe you can.” The younger yawned. I felt a bit better hearing that from him. “Thanks buddy, that helps…a lot.” I said gently caressing his hair. “Youngjae…” Jaehwan spoke again, this time sounding sad. “Yes Jaehwan?”

“Please stay safe…” His voice trembled. “…And…And make sure you come home. Because Umma and Appa will be sad if you don’t…” he sniffled. “…and Poppy will be sad too. And…and I will miss you.”

My heart clenched. He was trying his best not to cry, though it was proving to be difficult. “I-I promise I’ll be back home. I’ll be back before you know it. But while I’m gone you have to promise that you’ll take care of Umma and Appa. Okay?” I struggled to keep my voice steady. “I promise…” he said. “Good. Now go to sleep.” I told him. “Good night Youngjae.” “Good night Jaehwan.”

 

I stared up at the ceiling, Jaehwan ha easily fallen asleep, seconds after saying good night. I was up for what felt like hours before finally falling asleep. But it wasn’t a good sleep. So much ran through my mind. Strangely the longer I slept the hotter I felt.

 

 

 

I only slept for a little over an hour, and woke up to the sound of wood collapsing and Poppy making frantic noises.

I opened my eyes sweating and finding it extremely difficult to breathe. I quickly sat up to see thick black smoke seep into my room through the cracks of my bedroom door. Just then I heard a high pitched scream come from downstairs. “Kangin!!” It was mother and something was wrong with my father. I heard coughing come from behind me. Jaehwan was up.

I looked at him, he looked back at me his eyes an irritated red. The sound of crashing followed by another scream was heard from behind the door. Oh no…no, no. Jaehwan can’t get scared. “Stay calm Jaehwan…and let’s go.” I said grabbing his hand and ran out the bedroom.

I swung the door open just to be greeted by large blazing flames crawling up the house. I gasped, covering my nose and mouth with my hand. “Umma! Appa!” Jaehwan slipped out of my grip and ran down the stairs. “Jaehwan!” I yelled. A pile of wood that were on fire fell in the middle of the stairway, cutting Jaehwan’s path short.

I have to get Jaehwan and I safely out of here and then we’ll meet Mom and Dad outside. I planned quickly in my head. Jaehwan cried out loudly, staring down the banister. I quickly ran to the younger and picked him up. “Jaehwan we have to go.” I said. Tears were pouring down his cheeks as he never left his gaze. “A-ppa~!” He cried. I followed his line of sight and froze.

My father was laid flat on his stomach…lifeless. His arms and legs were twisted awkwardly, he had countless bruises and deep cuts, a puddle of blood spread from underneath him. The sight was sickening and heartbreaking. My eyes began to burn. Abeoji.

I was suddenly snapped out of it as I felt the house shake. An Earthquake? Jaehwan! I looked at him to see that he was sobbing terribly. “APPA!” He bawled. The fire was much larger now. “Let’s go to my room.” I quickly instructed running back up the stairs. The fire downstairs was too large for us to make it out either exits, so the next best thing was to escape through my bedroom window.

I bust the door open with my shoulder. The earthquake beneath us became stronger, it was becoming harder to walk properly. “Jaehwan, please calm down.” I begged, desperately stumbling towards the window. I felt terrible about what happened to our dad, but I still had to get us out of here…or at least Jaehwan.

The earthquake rumbled greatly, parts of the ceiling fell in front of us blocking my path and it continued to fall apart. I dashed back out my bedroom door, before that was blocked as well. The fire was ten times worse than before, Jaehwan’s emotions assisting it. The fire gorged the stairwell and the hallway floor was weakening.

I coughed hard as it was becoming harder and harder to breathe. “Jaehwan. Hold onto my neck, tightly.” I ordered. Jaehwan obeyed and wrapped his legs around my waist as well. He buried his face in my chest. I let go of him and climbed onto the other side of the banister.

Carefull

Please log in to read the full chapter