Runaway Baby

Forever Now
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Youngjae’s POV*

                "Hey mother. I brought in the eggs from the chicken coop. They’re fresh and ready to go be eaten.” I said placing the crate of fresh eggs on the floor. “Oh good. Do you think you can take them to the market this afternoon?” My mother asked hesitantly, turning around. I just looked at her. She looked back at me with pleading eyes. “Umma~…” I whined.

                “That’s a two day trip and takes at least a week’s preparation.” I said. “I know, I know. Your father is supposed to do it, but he’s been working so hard lately. He’s worn out Jae. And you’re 18, you’re old enough.” She explained.

                She was right. My father has been working extremely hard for the past 3 months ever since the drought ended, he’s been working hard to get us back on track. The drought had pretty much pushed us back. “Alright. I’ll go, but I can’t go today. I’ll leave tomorrow right after breakfast so I can prepare.” I promised.

                My mother hugged me tight, happily. “Oh thank you Youngjae so much. You’re a good child.” She said graciously. I chuckled lightly. “It’s not a big deal mom.” I said. She released her hug and looked at me with a thankful smile on her face. “Of course it is.” And with that she returned to what she was doing previously.

“Is it okay if I take Jaehwan with me? I promised him that I’d take him with me when it came time for me to take items to the market. I asked. She thought for a bit. “He’s young, but I guess it should be okay.” She nodded. “Great! I’ll go tell him now!” I jumped excitedly running out of the kitchen back into the backyard, searching for my 10 year old brother.

There’s not really much about me except for that I have a sweet, pretty mother named Hye Mi, and a strong, caring father named Kangin, and a younger brother named Jaehwan. Jaehwan was actually adopted by us when he was two years old, but sometimes it’s hard for me to even believe that he’s adopted. We’re extremely close, my mom gave him the nickname Ken because he reminds her of a childhood story character.

Other than that though, I’m just a simple farm boy. But I am very smart. Smarter than the average person so to speak. Jaehwan and I are both tutored by our mother, she’s also very smart, she used to be a teacher for the royal children in a kingdom that’s miles and miles away from here and she moved after she married my family.

Farming really isn’t my thing. Even though I enjoy the peaceful open landscape, I’m not very fond of the farm life. But I don’t know what my thing is. I don’t even know what’s out there that is for me. I’ve lived on the farm my entire life, the farm is all I know, the things my mother taught us is all I know, I’ve never been outside the farm world other than going to the market place to drop off our supplies and to retrieve  other supplies in return.

I’ve heard about wizards and people with elemental powers, and nature spirits. I’ve even seen them in the market, but there’s none nearby where I live. Mostly because we live alone far from other people, with the exception of 3 to 4 other farmlands that surround us. I’ve even heard of vampires and werewolves but no one I know has seen them, I honestly think it’s more of a myth. I mean, the dead living? That’s not possible!

The farm I live on isn’t very large either. We hardly have any animals. We have about 5 to 8 chickens, a few pigs, and about 3 horses. We’re mostly a crop farm and carry many different kinds of crops, each kind is grown depending on the season.

“Jaehwan!” I called finding the 10 year old in the open fields bent down on the ground. He jumped, startled, turning around to see that it was me. I stopped running and raised an eyebrow at him suspiciously. “What are you doing?” I asked.

The younger just smiled brightly revealing his pearly white teeth. “I found a bunny rabbit!” he announced excitedly. “A bunny rabbit?” I repeated. He nodded, bending down to pick up a light brown, fuzzy creature, with long ears and a white cotton tail.  “I found him not too long ago. He’s so~ cute and fluffy. I don’t think he has rabies. He hasn’t bitten me yet. I think he likes me.” Jaehwan rambled on happily, petting the soft creature. I walked over to him and pet the creature as well.

“I fed him carrots and celery. I even named him! Jaehwan went on. “Oh yeah? What did you name him?” I asked. “I named him Poppy! Because his eyes are so big they look like they’re going to pop out.” Jaehwan explained. I chuckled at his explanation, that’s when he looked up at me. “Do you think we can keep him?” he asked his pupils large.

I just shrugged. “If it doesn’t have any rabies.” I said. A large smile reappeared on his face. “Kikwang’s mother is a healer, do you think she can get rid of the rabies?" he questioned. I nodded. “I can take Poppy to Kikwang’s house now. I had planned to stop by there anyway.” I offered.

The younger looked extremely excited. “Really?! Yay! Thank you Youngjae! Thank you! Thank you!” he said happily. “You’re welcome Jaehwan. I also have some other news as well.” I said. “Oh?” he said looking curious revealing the innocence of a child that was within him. I nodded. “I’m going to the market and mother said that it was okay that I bring you with me.”

The younger’s eyes grew even larger, they were filled with overjoy. “Really?! Jinja?!” he asked. I nodded once more. “We’re leaving tomorrow morning right after we eat breakfast.” I told him. “Yay! Yippi! You hear that Poppy? I get to go to the market with Youngjae! Jaehwan squealed his pupils turning yellow, expressing his happiness. “Yup, but it’s a two day trip, so you best get ready.” I advised.

Jaehwan nodded in understanding. “I’m going to go get ready now! I’ll tell Emeoni that you’re going to Kiki’s house.” Jaehwan said handing me his new friends before running off. I looked at the fury animal that now laid in my arms. “Okay Poppy…don’t bite me on our way to Kikwang’s house.” I said turning around heading towards my best friends’ home.

Kikwang’s home wasn’t too far away from mine, in fact I could walk there without breaking a sweat. His home is the closest to ours. Their farmland is just about the same size as ours except they have no animals beside the seven horses they own. Lee Kikwang is my one and only friend.

I’m not much of a people person, but we’re really close. We pretty much grew up together. I knew him before we adopted Jaehwan since I was probably around 5 years old.

Kikwang is an only child, he’s one year older than me. His father is 100 % human and his mother has heling abilities. So it was weird when Kikwang turned out to be completely normal like his father and inherited nothing from his mother except for her looks.

It took me a little over 5 minutes before I arrived at the lee’s front door. I knocked on the smooth hard wood door and seconds later Kikwang’s mother answered. “Oh, Hello Youngjae.” She greeted a warm smile on her face.

I bowed slightly before saying my own hello. “Who’s that little fluffy friend in your arms?” She asked spotting Poppy. “It’s a rabbit Jaehwan found, he named him Poppy. I brought him over here to see if you could check for rabies.” I explained. “Of course I will! I’ll check if he has any and if so I’ll get rid of them. Come in.” She said taking the small animal, letting me in the house as well.

“Kiki is upstairs in his room, you’re more than welcome to do whatever.” Mrs.Lee smiled closing the door behind me. “Thank you.” I said instantly running up the stairs.

I immediately found Kikwang’s room and instead of knocking I swung open the door and yelled, “Hello!!” Kikwang was started and fell off of his bed without a warning. I laughed at his startled reaction, as he got to his knees.

“That’s not funny Jae.” He said rubbing his head trying hard to hold back a smile. I entered the room and sat down on his full-sized bed. The 19 year old stood up and sat down next to me. “JaeJae~” He squealed hugging me tightly. “Haha, Hi Kiki.” I chuckled at his sudden change in behavior. “Oh, I’ve missed you so much.” He went on acting childishly again.

“It’s only been a day.” I said. “Do you know how long a day is?” he squeaked. “Well, I don’t know how you’re going to handle the next 6 to 7 days without me.” I said.

“6 to 7 days?! Where are you going?!” He squeaked again. “I’m going to the market place tomorrow for my father. He’s really worn out.” I sighed. Kikwang released his hug and returned to his normal self. “Lucky. I’ve never been to the market place. My parents won’t let me. It’s not fair.” He sighed.

“Well, you are their only child.” I pointed out. “But I’m 19 now. I’m not a child anymore. I am an adult.” He said. “Young Adult.” I corrected. “Still has adult in it.” He retorted. I chuckled a little.

“But you don’t act like it.” I remarked. “What did you say?” he said sizing me up. “Nothing.” I quickly said. He narrowed his eyes at me, I just smiled back innocently.

“How’s little JaeJae?” he asked changing the subject. “He’s happy as always. He made a new friend, a bunny he named Poppy.” I said. “Haha! Why Poppy?” Kikwang asked. “Because he says that it looks like its eyes are going to pop out of its head.” I explained. The elder just laughed being amused.

“He’s too cute.” He remarked. “Oh! And he’s going to the market with me too.” I inputted. “Stop!” he said throwing a pillow at me. I just laughed at my silly hyung. “I’m going to be alone for the next week.” Kikwang whined falling backwards on his bed. “I’m so lonely.” He whimpered hugging himself. I sighed knowing exactly what he meant.

“I’m tired of being trapped. Not being able to go anywhere far from here. I don’t even know any of the other farmers that live around us. Do they have kids? Daughters our age? We’ve never dated ever Jae! And we’re almost 20. I’ve never even had a crush, except for the characters in the books. I’m not going to have anyone to marry when I get old. No offense Jae but if all odds fail I am NOT going to marry you.” He rambled on. “That’ll be weird and gross.” He shivered.

“Yah!” I spat throwing the pillow back at him. “I wouldn’t want to marry you either, even if that means I’d be forever alone.” I frowned. “We can be forever alone together. Jae.” Kikwang said hugging my waist, his chin on my hip.

“Ani~…I’m still mad.” I said pushing him off. The elder laughed falling back onto his back. “But seriously, I want to experience something new. Something exhilarating.” He said. “I know…me too.”

“My parents keep saying how dangerous the world is.” Kikwang said sitting back up. “Same…especially my father.” I nodded. It was silent between us for a good couple of minutes allowing each other to think.

“But what if…” I began, breaking the silence. Kikwang looked at me listening closely. “What if they’re right? I mean our lives are fine now, here. It’s simple, warm, joyful, peaceful, and safe. What if we were to witness the dangerous world and never be able to come back?” I said. Kikwang nodded.

“Those thoughts come to me too. But I’m scared that this home life that we have may not last. We’re not like the rich farmers. We’re not completely safe. We’re only barely making it.” He said. I nodded, understanding completely what he was talking about. “There has to be something out there that’ll make us more stable. There has to be. I’m tired of seeing my parents tired and sore all the time.” He said. Just then his eyes widened.

“Jae!” he quickly said grabbing my arm, startling me a little. “Wh-What is it Kik?” I asked. “I’ve been meaning to tell you. I’ve been by the woods lately and-,” “What?! You went all the way to the woods?! “I gasped cutting him off. “Why would you do that?! Are you crazy?! It’s dangerous over there!”

“What’s over there that’s dangerous Jae?” he questioned sounding somewhat annoyed. “I-I don’t know. But people have disappeared there many times. And you know that! We’ve even witnessed someone being dragged into the woods when we snuck there when we were younger.” I said.

“I know, I know, but my curiosity got the best of me and I only went there once, I wasn’t close to the woods either.” He assured me. “You’re still crazy and stupid for going over there.” I pouted folding my arms.

“But anyway, when I went there I saw something. At first I heard a rustling sound in the bushes.” He said. “Yeah probably someone or something getting ready to drag you in.” I remarked. He ignored my comment and went on. “I was about to run away when I made eye contact with a pair of piercing yellow eyes that were hidden in the bushes. It was as if they were glowing in the darkness of the words.” Kikwang explained.

I just looked at him wondering where he was going with this. “Jae! I think it was a werewolf!” he finally said. I furrowed my brow looking at him weirdly. “I read in something that werewolf’s eyes usually run yellow in the dark, like how vampire’s eyes turn red when they’re in their Vampire state.” Kikwang said.

“Those are just myths. I doubt that anyone has ever seen one.” I said resting on my palms. “How can they not though? I mean there are millions of people that have magic-like powers.” Kikwang retorted. I just shrugged. “Maybe werewolves are real but definitely not vampires. The dead living? That makes no sense. How is it possible?” I said. The elder just shrugged.

“You have a point, but look at it this way. What about those wizards, nature spirits, those people with special powers? How do you think they see us humans? Especially those that haven’t even seen one. Don’t they think ‘how can such vulnerable creatures exist?’ ‘Shouldn’t they be extinct with the dinosaurs?’ ‘How can they possibly survive or function without any special abilities?’” Kikwang said.

I soaked in everything he said, he had a really strong point there. But before anything else was said, there was a small knock on the door, which slowly opened.

“I finished. This little fellow is rabies free and ready to be a pet.” Mrs. Lee smiled warmly. I quickly stood up and she handed the fluffy creature to me. “Thank you so much, Jaehwan will really appreciate it.” I thanked holding the bunny with much care. Kikwang stood up as well and walked over to us.

“Oh you’re welcome. It was truly my pleasure to take care of such a cute animal.” She said. “Awe, is this Poppy? Little JaeJae’s new friends?” Kikwang asked petting the bunny gently. “Awe…” the elder cooed intrigued by the small being. “You’re a hairy fella aren’t you?” he said. “That’s because he’s a rabbit, Kikwang. And he’s furry, it’s fur.” Mrs. Lee said shaking her head at her silly son.  “Same thing.” Kikwang said never leaving Poppy alone.

“Would you like to join us for dinner Youngjae? It’s just about done. You’re more than welcome to join us.” Kikwang’s mother offered giving up on I’m. “I would love to, but I should get going now. I have to prepare for my trip to the market. But thank you.” I declined politely. “Oh, well

Please log in to read the full chapter