Chapter 33

Dragon bride

The evening breeze was cool as the sun begin to set dying the sky in different array of colors. Jaejoong stepped toward the edge of a large cliff that overlook the ocean. Being this close, the breeze was colder than usual and a little stronger than when he was surrounded by tall building. He could even feel the coldness as the wind touches his skin causing his hair to sway back and forth as his jacket fluttered. The look on his face was filled with sorrow as he held in his hand a bouquet of white lilies. In the past, when he woke up in the orphanage, he didn’t have any memories of who he was or who his family were. All he knew was that he was terrify of the ocean. Even after regaining some of his memories, he still couldn’t remember why being so close to such a vast body of water will numb him, sending him into panic. It wasn’t until he meet Yunho did he came to realize the true and tragic reason why he was so afraid. He took the bouquet of flowers and tosses it down the cliff as the ocean waves quickly accepted his offering and took it further away. He stood there in silence for a long time before his pink lips finally parted.

“These last couple of days….do you know what I have been dreaming about?” he asked

Just behind him, a few feet away, standing in the shadow of the trees is Yunho who is leaning against one of the trees, silently watching him “What is it?”

Jaejoong smile bitterly filled with sadness but did not turn to look at Yunho “my parent….” he paused a bit before continuing “I have never dream about them or think about them…it could be that my body and mentally has been pushed to the limit that all I could think about and dream about is my parent….remembering their warm embrace….their caring nature and the happiness they tried to bring to my life....little by little…these memories from my childhood begin to resurface…it made me realized that I had never offered them any flowers…..nor have I visited their grave…”

“If you wanted to come here….you could have asked me instead of sneaking off on your own…” Yunho spoke with anger in his voice

“You seem busy, I didn’t want to bother…”

“Lies….you planned to leave without telling me…that’s why you took the back exit…”

“If you saw me leaving…why didn’t you just drag me back into the apartment instead of following me around all day?”

Yunho didn’t answer as silence filled the air. Only the sound of the waves splashing against the large rocks at the bottom of the cliff echoed around them.

“When we first met…it was also like this…we were on the cliff and you pushed me off….” Chuckle jaejoong “But I should thank you because after that…I’m not as afraid of the ocean anymore….”

Yunho sigh feeling like the closeness that they were able to reach has suddenly become distant. It felted almost like this bride of his has decided to put up a wall between them.

“Jaejoong….”

“Yunho…” jaejoong spoke interrupting what he wanted to say “sorry…” he apologized confusing Yunho as to why this bride of his will suddenly apologize. For one thing, what is there for him to apologize? If anything, the one at fault here is clearly him not jaejoong

“Your reaction to what happen isn’t wrong….” said Yunho

Jaejoong turn around to face him and the look in his face caused Yunho’s chest to become tighten as his heart started to become painful. He can’t help but felt nervous, a bit afraid of what this beautiful person will say or do.

“My reaction was too harsh….I have seen your past…I should have understand your reasons…but my temper always gets the best of me….you can confirm it with Gummy…she knows…” he smiled a bit before continuing “…but…do you know why I am so angry?”

“I know….”

Jaejoong narrowed his brows “Do you really?”

Upon this second question, Yunho begin to doubt if he really did knew the real reason as to why jaejoong is so upset with him. The most logical answer here is because of his negligence that put jaejoong in danger. But he started to get this feeling that there might be more to it than just this reason.

“being at your side for this long…I have come to understand you a bit Yunho….and you are not a simple but a very complicated man….you take things too seriously and always paid attention to every details…you put up a cold front but is actually very caring….the fact that you put my safety before yours is heartwarming…your determination to protect me can be a little overwhelming…..but fighting Boa….I came to realize something about you….” Jaejoong paused a bit before continuing “….your greatest weakness is her….”

Upon saying this, Yunho’s eyes widen a bit with a hint of disbelief. For one thing, how could Boa be his weakness, if anything it should be Jaejoong “That’s impossible….I no longer have anything to do with her…”

“It doesn’t matter if you are still connected with her now or not….the fact that you both shared a memorable past is already strong enough to freeze you in her presence….put you in a state of confusion….stirs up your insides…your emotions….and affected your action and way of thinking….”

Yunho didn’t said anything as he lower his gaze and tried to understand what jaejoong is trying to tell him.

“It wasn’t that you disregarded my life in the presence of Boa that upset me….well…maybe a little but….the reason that I am so angry and furious with you is that in front of your weakness….you refuses to allow me to help you….When I am weak….when I am in front of something that I can’t win against…you stood tall and shielded me….but when you are in need of help….you refuses my hand….even when I tried to reason with you regarding her…you completely disregard my words and only believe in your own thinking….your words…your actions….makes me uncertain if we will be able to pull through this together….” Spoke jaejoong as he tried to calm himself from lashing out at Yunho once more

Upon these words, Yunho didn’t say anything as he kept his silence just staring at his bride who wore a bitter smile on his beautiful face

“I really thought we have connected….but…fighting Boa….it made me realize that we still have a long way to go….it made me wondered if our connection is even as strong as the connection you had with her that even after all these centuries that passed, you will still look at her with caring eyes even though she betrayed you…and even now she is still your enemy….but you think that she can still be saved….”

“Jaejoong….”

Upon his name, he let out a heavy sigh causing Yunho to close his lip as those words he wanted to speak could no longer be spoken. They both stood there in silence as neither spoke to one another. Once again it was jaejoong who broke the deep silence

“Yunho….before you came to save me….Boa told me that there is a way to break the bond of a bride and a dragon….”

Upon the mention of this, Yunho’s chest became tighter as he felt even more uneasy. The more he thinks about what jaejoong wanted to do, the more frustrated he become. He clenches his fist tightly as the expression on his face became dark

“Why didn’t you tell me that there is a way? You made me believe that I am stuck as a dragon bride for the rest of my life….I could have prevented all of this from happening….I could have regain my normal life instead of being hunted like an animal….”

“Such decision comes with great sacrifices….” Said Yunho

“Indeed….Changmin told me all about it…what I will gain and what you will lose once the bond has been dissolved….”

Yunho turn to look at jaejoong as his expression became darker “What…do you plan to do Jaejoong? Now that you know…are you seeking to be free?”

Jaejoong lower his gaze uncertain of what he wants “I honestly….don‘t know….”

Yunho clenched his fist tightly and stared at jaejoong “Even if you know….even if you wanted to escape….I will not allow it…!” This sudden change in his tone of voice, surprised Jaejoong “Even if there is a way…I will not grant it! I will not break this bond between us….you are my bride and that will never change! No matter what you say or do, the final decision is still mine to make…!”

Upon hearing this, Jaejoong was not please. He had wanted to try and keep calm, talk to this dragon normally but this tone from Yunho was igniting the flame inside him. It was as if Yunho is stating that he has no choice and that everything including his life rest solely on Yunho’s hand and there isn’t anything he can do about it. His folded his finger into a tight fist as he glares at Yunho. Both of them is once again at odd with each other, burning with anger. Even the cool wind from the ocean could not calm this flame that is burning out of control.

“You have no right to control me Yunho…!”

Yunho glares at him “yes I do….that heart that is beating inside you is what I give you…your life belongs to me….!”

These words only made jaejoong even more upset that he could only chuckled in disbelief almost like a man who has lost his mind “yes…yes….you are right….it’s because of you that I am alive….it is because of you that I am able to stand here and go through this hell…and yes….my life belongs to you completely….it’s not like I can do anything anyway….you can easily kill me if you wanted to….you did tried before….”

To see him look this way…to hear him laugh in such a bitter way felted like a knife has pierced Yunho’s heart as his chest became tighter. He didn’t mean to cause jaejoong to have such an expression on his face. He didn’t mean to make jaejoong more upset then he already is. He just didn’t want to lose what he was able to gain, he just didn’t want jaejoong to slip away from his side. Expressing his thoughts and true feeling has never been his strong point. In fact, why is it that he is so attached to jaejoong that just the thought of him walking away from his side angers him, makes him panic? Why is it that only jaejoong is able to stir him up so much that even he isn’t sure what is going on with himself? Why is it that at this moment, the anger that is growing out of control suddenly dispersed and all he wanted to do now is pulled him into a hug and apologize?

“Jaejoong…I….”

“I am your bride Yunho…” jaejoong interrupted him with a bitter smile “…I am at your disposal….my life lies in your hand….going forward….I will no longer argue with you…I will no longer go against your will….I will no longer disagree or create trouble….whatever you says I will obey….even the issue with Boa….I’ll leave you to deal with her as you see fit…I’ll just wait on the side line where you deem is safe and do nothing….”

The pain that Yunho felt became stronger as the rhythm of his heart beats became a little distorted. It wasn’t only him who felt it but Jaejoong as well. Both of them felt that the way their heart is beating wasn’t normal. Jaejoong could feel a surge of pain inside his chest where his heart lies causing him to wench as he clutches his chest tightly.

“What….what is this?...” he asked unsure of what is happening

Yunho rushed over to Jaejoong and reach out to help but it was slap away with force as jaejoong glared at him with the utmost hate “Is this…your doing?!”

“No!....” Yunho shouted “But it will be dangerous to allow it to continue…let me help…”

Once again he reached out his hand to jaejoong and is once again rejected “Don’t you dare touch me!”

“Jaejoong! We have to stabilize your heart beat….if not…it will have a deadly consequences….!”

“What do you mean?!”

Yunho look at jaejoong in panic and was about to speak when a loud laughter echoed around them. Both jaejoong and Yunho turn their attention back to the few trees that stood on the other side of the cliff. What emerged from the shadows is Boa

“It must be painful right Yunho? To be rejected…” she asked in a soft voice “It’s not a pleasant feeling is it?”

Meanwhile, Junsu is standing in front of a young man possibly a year younger then him with a shook look on his face.

“It’s you!!” he shouted loudly “…You were that guy who helped me before! When my grandfather captured all 3 of them, you were the one who grabbed onto my hand and stopped me but end up helping me remove the charm to free Yoochun!”

The young man stood tall, taller than junsu, about the same height as Changmin. He smiled at Junsu warmly that even after all this time, Junsu can still remember him even though they only meet briefly. Junsu was excited to meet him again because he never got the chance to thank him. He was about to walk closer to the man when his feet stopped. Even though this man helped him, he remembered this man was dressed in a hunter’s uniform. His excitement quickly turn a 360 as he took a few steps back being cautious of this person before him.

“You…are a dragon hunter….this is…a trap isn’t it?” Junsu asked feeling stupid to actually fall into this kind of cheap trick

“o-of course not!” the man shouted to quickly explain himself “Please let me explain….don’t be alarm…I won’t harm you or try to trick you….but….” he begin to look around cautiously “but…we will need to talk elsewhere….this is not a safe place…”

Junsu only look at him suspiciously, if he were to trust this man and go with him only to find out that he has fallen into a trap, Yoochun will never let him hear the end of it. The young man could tell that Junsu was still hesitating to trust him, and he doesn’t blame him. Anyone would be suspicious especially when the other party is a hunter, a sworn enemy of the dragon and bride. The young man could only sigh as he tried to ease Junsu’s mind.

“My name is Han Min-Jun….as you stated…I am a dragon hunter….my family has always served the shim household as hunters….as support for hunting dragons and finding brides….I was only 7 when my dad brought me to the main household and undergo training….but…even though I am a hunter….my belief are different…”

Junsu raised one of his eyebrow at Min-Jun “what…do you mean?”

“I don’t believe that dragons are a threat nor that killing dragon brides are a good thing….even though I was taught that both must be destroyed for the greater good of this world….I just can’t believe in that teaching….”

“And why not?”

“I guess you can thank the young master for changing my mind at a young age….”

“Changmin?”

MinJun nodded his head “I happen to cross path with him once in the garden…I knew who he was but he thought I was just a normal child wondering in the garden….unlike how my teacher taught me….the young master spoke of the dragons with a bright smile….he tells me stories about them…the good they have done….and their true purpose of living on this world…..little by little…he begin to open my eyes on this matter as I too agree with him that dragons should be a protected race….not one to rage war against….however…I could not defy my fate as a hunter….I am still bond to perform my duties…follow my family’s footsteps…to go against the shim family will only means death for mine…so I have not voiced my opinion or did anything out of line….”

“Then why choose now to act…? Is it because the old man could not do anymore harm?”

MinJun shook his head “Even without him…I would still keep my silence….but….” he look at Junsu right in the eyes with a serious expression on his face “but…I can’t stand still and watch as the young master plunge deeper into the dark side….continue to dip his hand in blood….he has put himself in a very delicate and dangerous position thus…I have to reach out to you as his older brother for help….I alone will not be able to help him…it is not easy for me to move around given my position….”

Upon hearing this Junsu was no longer hesitating as the expression on his face changed “What happen to Changmin? What is going on?”

“I will tell you more but we will need to go someplace else….this is too open and could be heard…”

Junsu no longer hesitating nodded his head.

Changmin sat at his desk with his long leg crossed as his long finger tap lightly on the large brown desk. A sinister grin is spread across his face as a terrify man is kneeling in front of him. Base on his outfit, he is a dragon hunter but he has been beaten and tied up as blood drip from the corner of his lip. This terrify man looks around the room where other hunters stood and then his eyes return to Changmin. The look of his eyes was enough to numb this man as he felt a cold chill ran up his spine.

“W-what is this? W-why are you doing this?” the hunter asked

Changmin was quiet for a bit before standing up and slowly made his way toward the hunter. He stopped in front of him and bends down to his level until their eyes meet.

“You were one of the hunters that followed my grandfather…but after he went into a coma, you quickly switched your master to ByungChul….”

The hunter only smile nervously at changmin “So what of it? We are free to choose who we serve…”

“Indeed…that’s why I have a few questions for you…”

The hunter became quiet before speaking “I won’t tell you anything….the matter between me and my master are secrets…I would rather die…”

Changmin stares at him but his smile has yet to disappear. He stood up and lean against the desk “Don’t worry…you won’t walk out of here alive….however….I will get what I want first…”

“You have gone insane…” the hunter spoke “even your grandfather wasn’t this crazy…going around killing people….killing your own family members…!”

“My grandfather was old school….he put too much trust in people….he thinks that just because they are family members that they will forever support him….but that is not the case….family members are quicker to stab you in the back when given the opportunity….”

“You…are turning against the shim family….”

“turning against?” changmin smile even bigger “…I am going to make it much better….getting rid of the eye sores is what will make this family better….”

“If your grandfather hears about what you have been doing? He will not be please…”

Changmin only chuckled loudly “Don’t worry…I don’t plan to seek his approval….”

The hunter looks at changmin strangely feeling even more nervous. He isn’t sure what changmin is planning or what he is trying to do. All he knows is that this young master who was once as bright as the sun light had suddenly turn dark shaking the very foundation of the Shim family. In just a couple of days, many members of the shim family has disappeared, anyone who opposed him….who voiced their opinion about him will end up disappearing the next day. Even hunters has meet the same faith as others became wary of this young master. Changmin made a gesture with his hand as the other hunters in the room nodded their head and exited the room. It is now just him and the hunter left in this dimly lit room. To be alone with changmin was even more nerve reckoning then to be surrounded by a group of hunters. He watched as changmin walks over to him once more and bends down to his level. Without a word, he reaches his hand out to the hunter

“W-what are you doing?!”

“Relax…it won’t be painful….” Smile changmin

The hunter could only watch as changmin reached out and touched both side of his face, upon his touch, the hunter immediately felt a coldness surged into his body. He couldn’t make a sound nor could he move his body. Changmin closed his eyes as he allow his consciousness to enter this hunter’s mentally as if he is searching for answers inside this man’s head. Not only was he able to read this man’s mind, he was able to tap into his memories as well. Just when he thought there wasn’t anything useful, changmin found something very interesting. He quickly opens his eyes and remove his hand as the hunter falls to the ground gasping and shaking. The expression on changmin’s face change for the worst as he stood up and use the desk to support his body. He stood there feeling a bit dizzy for a few minutes trying to gather himself as he took a deep breath. After a moment he calls for the hunters to enter the room. Upon his instructions, the two hunters grabbed the man on the ground who looks like his mind has been wipe out and left the room. At this moment YongHwa enters the room and watched as the two hunters took the other hunter away. Upon seeing YongHwa, changmin smile widely at him as if he is expecting this man to appear

“What…did you do to him?” YongHwa asked noticing the dilated eyes of the other hunter, in fact, this wasn’t the first one her saw that was turn into this state. It only made him even more curious as to what changmin has been doing with them.

“It’s nothing…he just couldn’t handle the torture…”

YongHwa stares at changmin strangely “What are you hoping to gain by torturing your own hunters? Not only that but also family members has been treated harshly….”

“I already made it clear didn’t I? I’m going to make changes….pull out all the weeds and only keep those that are still green and fresh”

YongHwa could tell there is more to it than just getting rid of those who will betrayed changmin.

“Oh right YongHwa…”changmin spoke as he sat down on his large chair “There is something I want you to do for me…”

YongHwa can’t help but feel nervous “What is it?”

“Since you are the MOST loyal hunter at my side….there is an important task I want you to do…” said changmin “I want you to become a spy for me…”

“Spy? Who do you want me to spy on?”

“MinSeok…..”

Upon the mention of this name, YongHwa became even more nervous. How can he be a spy for changmin when he himself is already working for ByungChul and MinSeok to spy on him?

“For…what reason?” YongHwa asked

“I feel that he is masterminding a very big plan behind my back….I want to know every details….all his movements….but I also know he is a man of mystery….he way of thinking and doing things are not easy…not to mention he is a very smart and cautious man….not any one will be able to get close and provide me with important details….however you are very talented….your ability to hide is praise worthy….thus…I’ll be entrusting this matter to you…”

“But Changmin shhi….MinSeok isn’t anyone of importance….he is from a lower branch of the family as well…what power does he hold to be able to mastermind a plan…?”

Changmin only smiled “not everything is as it seems…it is those from the lower rank that you should worried about because they are usually out of raider….out of focus….but…if you aren’t up for this task…I’ll look for someone else to do it…”

“No!” YongHwa shouted “I’ll do it….please leave this matter to me…”

“Good…I’ll be expecting daily reports from you…”

YongHwa bows his head wondering what he is going to do. When he didn’t leave, changmin stares at him and asked “Is there…anything else you will like to say?”

“Ah…well….I understand why you are doing this but….I have been wondering regarding the matters of the dragon and his bride….it’s been a week and you have yet to make any plans to hunt for them?”

“Ahh that….I’m not in a hurry…”

YongHwa only looks at him strangely “But….if you delay anymore then this….what if the dragon and the bride disappear? We will lose our chance at obtaining the heart”

“Even if I am not doing anything….there are already people working very hard at it”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t need to say anymore….you are probably already aware of it….”

“Huh?”

“We are done here…please leave to perform your task…”

Yonghwa wanted to question more but changmin was reluctant to say anymore thus he bows to him and exited the room. Once alone, changmin let out a sigh of relief. He leans back on his chair and stares into the ceiling feeling like some of his life force has been out of him. It could be that he has been relying too much on the power of the shadow dragon that it is making him feel more tire than usual. He let out a deep sigh as he thought back to what he was able to read when he shook ByungChal’s hand. He was only expecting to read his true thoughts but at that moment, what he experienced wasn’t any thoughts but a flash of memory filling his mind. By accident, he managed to get info on the big plan that ByungChul and MinSeok hope to achieve. However, all the important questions has yet to have an answer such as the place, the time, how they going to achieved it and who else are involved. In order for such a grand plan to succeed, it will require a lot of support and changmin has to find those supports as soon as he can. His thoughts eventually return to the hunter that was just dragged out of the room. The look of his face was of endless concern. He sat there for a few minutes before standing up, grabbing his light coat and exited the room in a hurry. Even though he didn’t plan to do anything, he just couldn’t sit still especially when it comes down to Jaejoong.

Upon seeing Boa, Yunho went into protective mode as he stood before jaejoong guarding him.

“I have been calling you for the last couple of days….you must have felt it right Yunho?” ask Boa “My dragon scale is what you had given me….it is what connects me to you…if I call you…you should have felted inside and yet….you refuses to come out to meet me….thus….I have no choice but to come to you instead…”

“What is it that you want Boa?” Yunho asked

“Well…I was thinking we could reconcile our relationship….you know, catch up with one another…have a friendly chat like before….”

Yunho only glares at her knowing very well that this isn’t what she really wanted “What is your true intention?”

Boa look at Yunho a bit before her lip curved into a soft and gentle smile. It was a smile Yunho was familiar with, a smile that made him fell in love with her “that is my true intention if you believe me or not….after fighting you…it made me realize that I still care about you….I really miss you...I know I have done wrong…I just…hope that we can return to how we were…I am willing to stop everything if you are willing to give me another chance…”