Chapter 23

Dragon bride

              Yonghwa followed Jaejoong and the woman into the alleyway as he made sure to hide from their sight. As he peeks over the corner of the wall and he notices them walking forward when suddenly they just disappeared. This alarms him as he quickly ran to where they were standing and looks around wondering where they could have gone to. There isn’t any other building here, just an empty lot. YongHwa starts to wonder if he had made a mistake and alarmed them as they escaped from his sight. But thinking about it, he didn’t do anything that will reveal his presence. He begins to go through all kind of possible scenarios before stopping at one of them. What if they didn’t disappear to somewhere, what if they didn’t escape but is actually still here and he just can’t see them? From everything he has known about dragons, there are a few that could create illusions, hiding themselves or even a building from view. He turns around and looks at the large empty lot. Now that he thinks about it, this area is too large of a space. It is big enough to fit a building and there is no sign of any demolition work being done. The more he ponder on it the more he is certain that he have finally found the hidden location. His lip curves into a huge smile before taking out his phone and dials a number.

“This YongHwa…I found him…the possible 3rd dragon”

Changmin reached home and changed his clothes before putting on the hunter’s jacket personally design and crafted for a leader. He fixes his hair and adjusts his dress shirt under the Jacket before looking at himself in the mirror. One of the hunters appears and rushes toward his side before whispering something into his ear.

“I see…”

“We are awaiting your further instruction” spoke the hunter

“Watch them closely…no matter what happen…we cannot allow the fire dragon to interfere….if he breaks through that shield and join the fight….we will surely loose…”

“Understood…”

With that being said the hunter disappears from sight as Changmin is left alone in his bedroom staring at himself. Just seeing him put on this jacket, a symbol of hunters disgusted him. But what disgusted him even more was the fact that he couldn’t even recognize himself anymore.

“Forgive me Junsu ah…it wasn’t my intention to put you in harm’s way nor was it my intention to keep you from departing…. however, you are the only person whom the fire dragon will risk protecting…” thought changmin considering how they spoke to one another like two friends.

After a few minutes changmin exited his room as a group of hunters mix in with a few family members awaited him down stairs. He descends the stairs and into the crowd below who bows to him to show their loyalty and respect to the new leader of the shim family. At the corner of his eyes he could see ByungChal standing there smiling. He recalls YongHwa telling him before how he was behind the kidnapping of Gummy. He made eye contact with ByungChul who smiles and bows his head. As Changmin made his way through the crowd, they start to follow closely behind him until everyone is in movement.

Minseok stood in his living room gazing out the window as rain splashes against the glass shaking it slightly. He lifts his gaze from the building before him to the darken sky with a smile on his face. He never expected that the young new head of the shim bloodline would even thought about this plan. To place the city in lock down will prevent the 3rd dragon from escaping. However, to make such a huge movement like this isn’t the brightest idea. He will draw attention and create a huge commotion but then again, knowing him, this is probably what he wanted.

“Aren’t you going to go join them?” Boa asked

“No need…I have no interest in this little fight….I would rather stand back and observe….”

“Heh…you mind as well say you are weak and a coward…” grin Boa

MinSeok didn’t find this insulting at all, he wasn’t angry or anything. Instead he remains well composed with a smile on his face “there are certain fight worth fighting and there are those that will be a waste of time and effort….”

“And this fight is?”

“An opportunity for the young master to show his true strength and determination on which side he truly lies in…” Boa didn’t say anything as MinSeok turn toward her “Go to where they are…watch from afar…obtain for me the blood of the shadow dragon…”

Boa smiles “my pleasure…”

“Oh and boa…try not to get discover by your past lover okay?”

“I can’t guarantee that…” she spoke before leaving the house

MinSeok only sigh before turning his gaze back to the window “I guess…it wouldn’t hurt to show yourself a little…” he smirked

In the meantime Yoochun and Junsu are still outside the shield that has now surrounded most of the city preventing them from entering. Yoochun had done whatever he can to break down the shield but it was no use. Any attack he uses is bounced off as if it’s nothing and it is irritating him even more. Junsu look at his watch and notice he only has an hour left before he is supposed to board the plane. With things the way it is now, he figure he probably won’t be leaving any time soon. He turns his gaze toward Yoochun and spotted the blood sipping through the platted shirt around Yoochun’s arm. It seems like the bleeding has yet to stop and this rain isn’t helping it either.

“Damn it!” curse Yoochun loudly as he clenches his fist tightly

“What should we do?” Junsu asked

“Unless we find a way to break this shield, there isn’t anything we can do…” spoke Yoochun

Junsu pause a bit as he begins to think about the whole situation and this invisible shield “what can we do to destroy this shield?”

“They must have placed 4 charms in 4 different part of this city. Once it is activated, the shield will be formed…”

“So if we find these charms and destroy it, the shield will also be removed?”

Yoochun nodded his head “yes…”

Junsu looks down and notices people walking in and out of the shield as if it did not restrict them at all. It’s as if this shield has no effect on human only dragons.

 “It doesn’t affect human” said junsu as he turn to Yoochun “I can go and find the charms”

Yoochun pauses as he turns to face Junsu “what are you trying to say….?”

“This shield…it has no effect on human….we can still move about between the inside and outside of this shiled….in other words…I can go pass it…”

“NO!” Yoochun shouted loudly startling Junsu feeling like if he disappears from his sight, something terrible will happen.

“Yoochun…I can go and find these charms and destroy it”

“No! You aren’t going anywhere!”

“We don’t have the time to argue about this!” Junsu snapped back “Yunho and jaejoong are in danger…you can’t even enter the shield to help them…as strong as Yunho is…he won’t be able to handle the hunter and if this 3rd dragon is an enemy…there is no way he could stand against them….right now what is important is Jaejoong…we can’t have his heart be taken…the only way you can assist is if these 4 charms is removed…and I can do that”

Yoochun didn’t want to let Junsu wonder into danger once again because this time he won’t be able to rush over to protect him. But he can’t deny the fact that Junsu is right, the important thing here is Jaejoong’s safety.

“I will be okay….” smile Junsu

Yoochun clenches his teeth in anger feeling useless as before. Junsu digs into his pocket and took the little pedant that Yoochun had given to him as he took his necklace and remove it’s pedant before slipping on the one he received. He then places the necklace around his neck as the pedant shines an orange and red light to represent fire.

“This connects us…as long as I have it with me you will know that I am okay…” said Junsu

“But…”

“Everything will be okay Yoochun…believe in me okay…”

Yoochun hesitated but none the less he sighs “1 charm…if you can get to one of them and remove it that is more than enough….”

“How will I find the charm though?”

Yoochun reaches over and places his hand upon the pedant as it started to glow “this will take you to where one of them are….I could feel its magic…the closer you are the brighter it will glow…”

With that being said Junsu nodded his head and ran toward the door that lead to the rooftop and descended the flight of stairs. Yoochun turn his gaze back to the hunters that stood on the other building as they begin to talk to one another. Right before his eyes one of the hunters nodded his head before disappearing from sight.

“Junsu….no matter what…you have to return to me you hear” thought Yoochun

Meanwhile, Jaejoong stood in the abandon church facing the human form of the shadow dragon. This man looked old and could barely support his own body with pale skin. But he could tell this man was once a powerful and great dragon. A scar could be seen slashed across his right eye but Jaejoong highly doubt this is the reason for the pitch black iris looking at him as if death is looking at him.

“Do not be alarm chosen bride…I have no intention of fighting you nor harming you…I merely want to chat with you…”

Jaejoong look at him a bit doubtful as he turn his gaze toward the woman “And who are you really?”

“My name is Ha Shin Hye…”

“Are you…a dragon bride as well?”

The woman name Shin Hye shook her head “Of course not…I’m way too young and beautiful to be a bride to such an old man…”

SoonJae clear his throat “I met her when she was an orphan on the street…I took her in and raised her like my own child….To protect her I gave her one of my scale….”

“We are like father and daughter” she smile brightly as jaejoong only give them a half smile unsure what is going on.

“You say you want to talk to me….about what?” Jaejoong asked

The old man let out a deep sigh before placing both of his hand upon the handle of the came “Tell me young one…how did you meet Yunho? How did you become his bride?”

Jaejoong rise one of his eyebrow unsure what the point of this questions will be “My family was on a boat sailing through the sea when I was young…we got caught up in a horrible storm and our boat over turned….I was sinking into the ocean when Yunho saved me and made me his bride…”

“I see…it wasn’t the heaven that made the decision but it was the ocean who tied your fate together….” He smiles softly making jaejoong wonder even more rather this man is an ally or a foe “Please excuse me for a bit…I need to check something…”

Before jaejoong could respond, Soonjae disappear right where he was standing and in a blink of an eye he appears right in front of him. SoonJae’s right hand started to glow as he pierces it into jaejoong’s flesh like how Yunho did it the first time they met. Jaejoong let out a sudden painful moan before glaring at the old man.

“I thought…you say you won’t harm me?” he asked through painful gasp

Soonjae did not respond as he slowly removed his hand from within him. Jaejoong gasped as he collapsed to his knee panting.

“Just as I thought…” spoke Soonjae

“Yah…what the hell was that all about?!” snap jaejoong

“My apologies…I needed to confirm something...”

“Confirm? Confirm what?”

Soonjae was quiet for a moment before speaking “your heart….”

Jaejoong only look at him a little strange still unsure of what he meant.

“It seems you have yet to realize just how special you have become young bride” spoke Soonjae

“What do you mean?”

“Have you heard about the immortality that a dragon bride’s heart can bring?”

“Yes I have…Yunho mention it to me that not just any heart but a golden one can truly grant that ability”

“Indeed….”

Jaejoong rise one of his eyebrows at Soonjae “what…does that have to do with me?”

Before Soonjae could speak, it was ShinHye who responded to his question “The heart that lies inside you, the heart that you shared with Yunho…it’s a golden heart…”

Jaejoong’s eyes widen in complete shock before he let out a disbelief chuckle “You…are joking right?”

“It’s no joke…” said SoonJae “I was able to confirm it when I place my hand inside you…I can feel the warm and powerful golden light that surrounds your heart…there are only 2 other dragon brides in all the years that I have lived to ever have a golden heart…”

“So wait….are you saying that my heart…will grant immortality?”

Soonjae nodded his head “indeed…thus…you must protect it well…you will have to make sure it does not fall into the hand of the hunters…”

Jaejoong look into SoonJae’s eyes and he didn’t see any lies or any trickery within. He turns to ShinHye and she doesn’t look like one to lie about such a thing as well. If they were planning to trick him and take his heart, Soonjae would have already done so from the start.

“Does…Yunho know?” Jaejoong asked

“Most likely he knows…he could feel it” said ShinHye

Jaejoong lower his gaze wondering why Yunho didn’t tell him the truth. Why did he keep this a secret from him? Was this the reason for him being overly protective, going to extreme to save him?

“What do you know about Yunho?” Soonjae asked

“Nothing…”

Soonjae raise an eyebrow at jaejoong wondering how he doesn’t know about the dragon who he shared a heart with “was it he who will not tell or you did not ask.”

“Both…he didn’t mention it and I don’t care enough to ask…” jaejoong pauses as an image of what he saw of Yunho’s parent flashes before his eyes causing him to lower his gaze. This was more than enough to tell the old man that Jaejoong did know one thing about Yunho

“Jung Yunho came from a prestige family of dragon….his father was a rising king…a ruler of the sea and even the rains that falls from the sky above….his mother was a human…a beautiful bride with grace and beauty….she was the first ever to bear a golden heart…. but sadly she passed…her heart was rip from within her but it was her husband who is forced to destroy it….As a young lad, Yunho bear witness to the entire thing….but I bet you already know this much correct?”

Jaejoong didn’t response as an answer to his question

“You see shadow and water never got along…we have a long history of countless war….meaningless fights and many from both side were lost….our leader was taken, our authority became weak and thus my race were driven toward a land of dirt and sands….this created a lot of hatred among the shadow race against the water race…we waited…and waited…until the time comes when we will rise supreme…”

Jaejoong feels a little nervous upon the intension between shadow and water

 “However that time never came…before we could stabilize our forces...news came that the water race has perished….the reason was hunters…. Our effort to regain our pride and honor was a waste...but there was one survivor…and that is Yunho…”

“So you want to take revenge upon Yunho, is that it?”

Sonjae shook his head “This hatred has long faded…and if you look at me…I’m too old to do anything…and to be honest…I’m too exhausted to care about the feud between us…”

 “I don’t understand…what is the point of telling me all of this? What are you trying to achieve….”

Soon Jae was quiet for a brief moment before turning around to face the status of Christ “I am the last of my kind….when I ascend to nirvana, there will no longer be a shadow dragon….Yunho is also the same…he is the last of his kind….the only surviving water dragon left on this planet….the only one left who still bears the royal bloodline…. It’s a little disappointing that the bride he chose is a man who could not bear any children to carry on his bloodline….but I guess you both are fated to be each other’s mate…” He became quiet for a moment before speaking once more “What I am about to tell you is a future that must be prevented at all cost…as of now…you are the only one who could prevent it from happening…”

“What do you mean?”

SoonJae didn’t even turn to face jaejoong as he continues to gaze at the status of Christ with a worrisome expression filled with fear “the apocalypse….”

“Apocalypse?”

“A resurrection of dragons….a dark age….a reverting of time and space…” said ShinHye

“What does that have to do with me or Yunho?”

Soonjae lower his gaze and turn toward jaejoong with a serious expression “Yunho will have to rise to take his role as the new king but he can only assume his throne if you can save him from the darkness that will take him…if you can’t…he will rise as a new dark king and become the key to the destruction…this future, dragon bride…. depends on your strength and courage to protect the dragon whose heart you shared…”

“I’m still not following you…are you telling me that Yunho will turn evil?”

“That is a possibility…”

“I don’t believe you!” snap jaejoong

“Water dragons have ability that none has…they are able to open gate way of space and time…Yunho is the last of the water dragon…the only one left who have that ability…in other words…he become a key to open the past and unleash before this world its ultimate destruction…” said Soonjae

“When Yunho had disappear from sight, everything was fine…it will continue to be fine as long as he sleeps away and hide from the world and from those who wants to make use of him….however YOU woke him from his slumber and he came to you making his presence known….he even took his dragon form for the world to see….” said ShinHye “To be honest…we came to this city planning to subdue Yunho and take him far away but then I ran into you…the minute I meet you at the market…I knew right away you were a dragon bride…the same energy that flows in you is the same as his…but because he now shared his life with you…it will be your hand that will guild him….there won’t be any need for us to act and to fight Yunho…although…I feel like fighting might not be avoidable…” she said as she smiles knowing very well that Yunho will not react to this calmly.

“You jaejoong possess the golden heart….and Yunho is the last of his kind….he is protect you as much as it is your responsibility to protect him to make sure he doesn’t lose his ways…” Said SoonJae before the expression on his face changed to a serious one “There is a great evil within this city dragon bride…it is slowly rising within the shadow hidden from everyone….be careful of what you do and who you run into….trust no one…even those you think can be trusted will be the one who will betray you the most”

Jaejoong became quiet as he thought about everything that was just said to him. Even now it’s still hard to fully digest everything as he debate rather to believe them or not. But one thing is for sure, this whole dragon bride thing has just gone up another notch making things even more complicated. His peaceful life that he is hoping to obtain back is forever gone.

Suddenly, the building started to shake as dust and debris from the old roof started to fall upon them.  Jaejoong nearly lost his balance as he uses one of the benches to support his body as it shook along with the ground below him.

“What…is going on? A earthquake?” ask Jaejoong

“No…” Spoke ShinHye with a serious look on her face “hunters…”

Soonjae who didn’t seem affected by the rough movement of the building took a step forward “They have found us faster than I expected…someone must have been following you two to this place…”

“Sorry…I should have been more careful” ShinHye apologize

“No…they will find me sooner or later…” he look at his old wrinkled hand “my power is already at its limit…this old body will no longer be able to support such a barrier…”

As he spoke those words, the barrier begins to fade as the old abandon church came to view. The place is now surrounded by hundreds of hunters both on the ground and on the roof top of the buildings that surrounds it.

ShinHye took out her sword ready to fight when SoonJae shook his head at her “There will be no fight….they are here for me…I want you to take him and leave…”

“What?! No! I won’t leave you here” ShinHye shouted

“ShinHye…” he smiled “You may not be of my blood or my kind…but you are like a daughter to me…before I meet you…I was a lonely man without a family or friends…without a place to belong…you shown me what it feels like not to be alone…for that…I am thankful…”

“Soonjae…”

“You know of the future to come…” he spoke before turning to jaejoong “this dragon bride is the only hope this world has to survive it’s apocalypse…he can’t not be capture here and now…without him…no one will be able to protect the last of the water dragon…”

“I don’t care! I care about you” SoonJae snapped as tears threaten the corner of her eyes

“Please ShinHye….do this as the last favor I ask of you…”

ShinHye Clenches her fist tightly not wanting to leave Soonjae to be kill by hunters especially when he is only a few moment away from ascending to nirvana peacefully. But at the same time she knows she can’t disobey him. She was being torn between what is the right thing to do. Her heart ached as she wanted to cry and cling onto Soonjae pleading him to leave with them. She quickly wipes the tears that had escaped it’s captivity before bowing her head toward Soonjae.

“Thank you! For taking me in and rising me well! I will never forget the kindness you have shown me Soonjae!”

This was more than enough to make Soonjae Happy as he turn his gaze toward the front “take him…leave through the back…I will try to buy you as much time as possible…”

“Wait hold on…I’m not going anywhere” spoke jaejoong “If you guys are going to fight so will I”

“No! Your safety is more important…” spoke Soonjae who made it crystal clear not to get jaejoong involve in this fight. He turns to ShinHye and gesture for her to do her last duty. ShinHye grabs onto Jaejoong and starts to make a run toward the back against his constant protest.  Suddenly the roof cave in allowing the rain from outside to enter as multiple hunters descended down toward them. Dust and debris flew everywhere causing jaejoong to cough when something sharp came toward him. It would have struck him if it wasn’t for ShinHye who had drawn her sword to block the attack.

“Listen dragon bride…we came here even though it was dangerous…Soonjae is risking his life to insure yours is protected…so no matter what…don’t you dear die and waste our effort!” Shouted ShinHye as she manages to drive the hunter she is fighting back and further away from them.

She grabs onto him once more as they ran toward the back. He turns his head back and watches as Soonjae fight the hunters with nothing more than his cane. They were surrounding him as he could barely stand his ground.

“This...isn’t right?” thought jaejoong as he turns to the front and sees ShinHye also fighting to clear a pathway for them.

Soonjae was fighting with one of the hunters as another approached him from behind. This hunter pulls out a sword as his amulet starts to glow. He grins before jumping toward an unexpected shadow dragon. Before Soonjae could take notice of the attack, it was too late as blood spills onto the holy ground of this once beautiful church.

Yunho was still sleeping on the living room floor of jaejoong’s apartment. It wasn’t until he felt someone lightly nudge him and calls to him did he starts to open his eyes.

“Yunho shhi…Yunho shhi…wake up” came Gummy’s voice

He groans a bit before slightly sitting up feeling his head throbbing “what happen?” he asked as his memory is a little hazy.

“I’m not sure…but…Jaejoong and ShinHye are gone…”

Upon her words, Yunho finally remembers what took place. That woman ShinHye had slip sleeping medication into the cakes she brought over. He quickly stood up and searches all the rooms and as Gummy stated, Jaejoong and ShinHye is nowhere to be seen in the apartment. He curses to himself before clenching his fist tightly. Yunho close his eyes and tries to sense his bride within the city. It took him a few seconds before he felt jaejoong’s presence nearby. He also felt a tug upon his heart as an indication that something has happen. His eyes started to glow a bright golden light startling Gummy who suddenly felt a cold chill run up her spine. He ran toward the window and jumps out much to Gummy’s horror. What is even more terrifying then two eyes glowing and him jumping out the window is seeing him flying through the sky.

“I must be dreaming…” she thought to herself in total disbelief

Droplets of blood touches the old wooden floor of the church as everyone paused. Standing right behind Soonjae with the palm of his hand bleeding by gripping onto the blade of a sword is jaejoong. Crimson redness painted the middle part of the blade red as well as jaejoong’s hand as an indication that the cut is deep. Jaejoong groan a bit from his flesh being slice before lifting his gaze toward the hunter in front of him. The look in his eyes was enough to send a shiver down the hunter’s back as he felt a little nervous looking into those brown eyes. It was as if he is no longer facing a normal human being but a beast that has been unleased.

“neh…. Picking a fight with an old man is so cowardly, why don’t I become your opponent instead” Said jaejoong as his full pink lip curves into a huge grin and the symbol upon his chest starts to glow a golden light.

Not too far away stood Boa with the hood over her head as she held onto a umbrella while the rain continues to falls around her. She gazes at the scene before her with a excited smile upon her face. At the thought of seeing Yunho once again made her anxious.