settlement.

Step Brother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

settlement.

set·tle·ment an agreement reached after discussion or negotiation

Taeyeon sat still, hands clamped to each other, cold sweats trickling down from her forehead. She is nervous as hell, and the cold atmosphere that surrounds the room didn't help to lighten her heat in any kind of way. Her fingers keeps on playing with the hem of the knee-length black skirt, god, Taeyeon thinks she, as a whole, can't even function properly.

Right across her, sat her step mother, Haera. Her fiery eyes are hidden behind the circular frames of specs. That doesn't really hide the cold gaze that she gave to almost every person in the room though. Her lips are turned down, into a frown and her eyes looks as if she really detests the idea that one of the shareholder was saying. But actually, she's not the only one. Taeyeon thinks that this old guy is really annoying - him, and one of his other ally is so persistent about their idea to expand their company to China - when it's clear enough for almost every one of them that they need to manage the branches in Japan first before trying out the China's market.

Some of the shareholders seem to take some interest to this project of expanding their market even more globally in Asia while some has the same detests in their eyes like Haera's. Taeyeon is not quite sure what to decide. Sure, the China market sounds really good and promising to the company's income, it was still pretty risky. Maybe Haera knew it, that's why she seems to be so opposed to it.

"I am sorry to cut you off, Mr. Shin." She spoke all of a sudden and the old guy in his 50s shut his mouth almost in instance, even though it was clear that he was not pleased but his respect for the company's director was still there so silence it is. "As I was saying before, I do not think it is right to try the China market. Our potential has only been around 50%. I can understand why you would to try it, but it's too much of a risk. Besides, our Japan's branches have only been rising lately and I guess we can't neglect the companies there." Haera said. Her voice dripping the firmness that she has always had.

"Our Japan branches have been our bold move of global marketing and we've been publicizing it since then, and you see it yourself, the results are successes." She said and this time, Haera sounds more confident than she usually is. The old man seems to be glaring holes at her but Taeyeon was kind of too nervous to actually do anything with it.

"Mrs. Kim, I am afraid that our voice might need to be taken into consideration more. We've been at your sides more, we've been supporting you, also through the Japan advancement. I am sure of my plan and this company can definitely pull of the China's market as long as we target the right audiences." The old man retorted back in his defense and only now does Taeyeon realize that the man was indeed a really long time partner of their company. He holds a big role in the Japan advancement too - but if so, how can Haera seems to detest him so much? Well, Taeyeon knows that her step mother can be wrong in her actions a lot of times, though. I mean, she used to detest Taeyeon too.

The room was once again silent when the old man stopped. Haera haven't responded yet to him. Her eyes were closed, and Taeyeon knows that she's probably holding back her anger that seems to have built up over the tense conversation she had with the old man.

Taeyeon sighed, she can't help but feel useless. Of course, she can just step in easily - her shares, and the fact that she is the daughter of the late company's owner can support every of her decision, and every of her statement that she chooses to say. The thing is, she doesn't have the courage to. Don't blame her. Voicing her opinion in front of around 20 people who you know are better than you is tough. She tries to collect all the courage inside her, but it never came.

The seat beside her is unoccupied - the guy that should have been there is nowhere to be seen. The black haired boy is missing and Taeyeon didn't even know where he went. Meanwhile, the twin of this certain person sat at the right of Haera. Miyoung seems to be so into this - her eyes lit up once in awhile when an interesting talk appears - and she has even voice out her opinion on one of the earlier topics. She doesn't seem as lost as Taeyeon is.

"Ms. Kim Taeyeon," Taeyeon stiffened when she heard her names gets called. She looks up to see a middle aged woman - the director of the rising entertainment company - was looking at her intently. "Perhaps, you have an opinion about this. We might have... a bit push and pull over this China advancement." She said, her voice is soft and gentle but Taeyeon cursed the lady under her breath.

"I think... Haera is right. We've only built the Japan advancement earlier last year. If I'm not wrong, we only settle it down around January. Things have been quite rough and our income has only been rising around May. It's hard to maintain the income, the stocks, and all those things if we try out the China advancement so soon after our Japan one." Taeyeon explained - she stumbles with a lot of words, indirectly showing her feelings but no one seems to focus on that.

Haera flashed a smile at her. The old lady seems satisfied enough with her answer - it definitely backs up her well - and Taeyeon could feel herself being satisfied too. The room went silent after her explanation. It seems like people are changing their minds about the topic.

Of course, just like a few politician, a few of the shareholders keeps on making argument about the global advancement - trying to make another one of them to finally support the China's market plan - but the restless argument can only get dragged for so long.

“Seems like it’s settled then. We will improve more on our Japan branches – especially the newer one in Osaka and Fukuoka. Also, my dear Taeyeon, don’t you have something important to announce?” Haera hinted at the girl and Taeyeon tensed up. Here it is, she needs to announce about the shares thing. The reaction she expected are pure shock and it definitely were the one that happen.

“Right. Tomorrow, I’m selling half of the shares I have and it’s already been decided that Haera would buy all of it from me. We have come to an agreement that I will give up the honor of being the largest shareholder in this company, solely because I trust Haera.” Taeyeon announced. There are a few gasps that can be heard but a few others seem to expect this to happen.

“And by that means, both Haera and I have come into a conclusion that this company will be taken over by Kim Baekhyun after, and not me.”

--

Taeyeon took out her phone from her bag before she punches in a number and hit the 'call' button. A piano tune starts playing but Taeyeon isn't that much surprised that this person sets a melancholy song for his ringtone. Taeyeon is pretty sure the song almost ends, when finally, he picks up the call.

"Tae?" His voice was soft and more concerned than anything else, "How is the meeting? Is everything going well? I'm sorry I can't attend it and-" "Holy, Baek, you need to chill down. Everything went well. I guess Haera gets what she wants, we're going to upgrade the Japan branches instead of doing the China advancement. And... about the shares, everyone seems to be pretty shocked about me not wanting it." Taeyeon said. She still remembers the shock that almost everyone in the room shown when she told them about the 'selling her share to Haera'.

"Where were you?" Taeyeon asked. The disappointment drips in her voice. Is she? Yeah, she is. Last night, Baekhyun told her that he will attend the meeting right after he applies for the entrance exam of his chosen university. He promised her even. But he didn't came at all and it almost messed up the plan that they have made from months ago if not for Miyoung who tries her best to dry the burning fire from the debate earlier.

They were talking about the next successor of the company - right after, she told them about the 'share giving' plan has been announced and if the shares were given to Haera. Taeyeon told them already, "I don't want to take over the company. I realize, it's not my best potential to be a director so I will give the honor to Kim Baekhyun instead."

A few of the shareholders aren't much enlightened with the idea of it, considering that he's not even there today to attend the meeting. Taeyeon panics at their reaction - it's not what she expects. They don’t seem to trust Baekhyun that much, even though it's clear that he is Haera's son after all. Talking about Haera, the old lady seems to be very relaxed in the other hand, as if she knew that no matter what, Baekhyun would still be the next successor right after her.

Meanwhile, Miyoung in the other hand tries to defend her twin. "He has an entrance today for his university application. Of course, he can easily postpone it but my brother, Baekhyun isn't much of the type who will use his power for things like that, so... yeah, he unfortunately can't attend the mee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter