prologue.

Step Brother
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-00-

"Mommy, look! There are butterflies here! See?" She shouted as she showed her mother the butterfly on her hand. Her mother smiled at her, "Aren't they beautiful, Tae?" She asked. Taeyeon nods her head, but she didn't take her eyes away from the butterfly. Kim – used to be Lee – Taehee is Taeyeon’s mother, a 36 years old woman with dark brown eyes that radiates warmth. The 5 years old Taeyeon seems so fascinated with the butterflies and Mrs. Kim was happy to see her beloved daughter like that.

The butterfly finally fly away, leaving her with a pout on her face, but not even a minute after, Taeyeon seems to be intrigued by something else already.  "Mommy, why is that boy there alone?" She asked, pointing at a kid who sits on the park bench alone. He looks like he was waiting for someone to come but he seems sad. The more minutes passed but no one approaches him. Kim Taehee who saw a frown on her daughter’s face than taps her shoulder, making Taeyeon faces her.

"What about you try to talk to him, Tae? Mommy will get 2 ice creams for both of you if you can get him to talk with you." Mrs. Kim said and smiled at her daughter who nods her head excitedly before she runs to the spot where the boy is. He was around her age. His eyes are soft brown, and feline like. His nose is not too pointy and his lips are small. "Hi." Taeyeon greeted him while she sat beside him. He didn't seem to find her disturbing, but he only looks at her with his cold eyes.

"Who are you?" The boy asked her with a confused face and Taeyeon shows him a toothy smile as she offers her hand. “My name is Kim Taeyeon! What is yours?” She asked brightly and the boy seems to hesitate to give out his name to a stranger but then he realizes that she was after all, a child like him – and she seems younger than him too. “My name is Kim Kibum.” He said and returns her a small smile as he took her hands and the both shakes their hands.

“Why are you only by yourself?” Taeyeon asked Kibum who sighed and look away to see if there’s any sight of a person he’s searching for. Then he starts telling Taeyeon almost everything about him. How his parents never really takes him to a park for walk so he goes with his butler, but the old man was nowhere to be found so he was waiting for him. When Taehee, Taeyeon’s mother returns from the ice cream parlor, the two kids are already laughing amongst themselves and the woman smiles at the sight.

From that day on, Taeyeon has been best friend with Kibum. He was always sweet to her and he seems to find comfort being with her. Taeyeon’s family already accepts like he is their real son and Kibum can’t be more thankful that they see him like that. His butler is also a nice old man who usually takes Kibum, Taeyeon and her mother to many beautiful places. Kibum finds a real mother figure in Taehee, and see her like a real mother already.

At the age of 9, Taeyeon receives a bad news which to her is like a nightmare. Her mother died from illness and this led Taeyeon to a depression, as she was so close to her mother. This news doesn’t only bring sadness to Taeyeon but also to her friend, Kibum who really likes Taehee and has declared her as his favorite aunt. Her father has never been the same too, but he knows he was still responsible for Taeyeon so he decides to stay strong and be a good father to her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter