PROMISE (I'LL BE) (ONESHOT)

TWO BROKEN HEARTS

Mark looked outside the window of the moving train…the sky was grey and traces of the pouring rain was still visible on the glass.

*It’s going to be a cold day I guess…*

            “Going somewhere young man?” an older lady across his seat.

            “Yes mam…” Mark nodded.

            “Visiting someone?”

            “Yes…”

            “A girlfriend? Sorry…an old woman like me can be nosy sometimes…” she smiled.

            “It’s okay…it’s getting bored in here anyway…I’m glad I could talk to someone…”

            “This girl…she’s lucky to have such a good looking boyfriend like you…”

            “Actually…it’s a guy…”

            “Well…he’s a lucky man I must say…” she chuckled.

*Lucky? I think I’m the lucky one…*

 

FIRST MEETING

Mark looked at the huge dorm building in front of him. A sudden feeling of lost overwhelmed him…being alone on foreign land is not something he had experienced before.

*Why did I choose to be here?* he sighed. Taking an intensive Korean language class for 6 months didn’t prepare him for it. But this is what he always wanted…learning dance in South Korea…a place he saw in TV, where dream getting fulfilled and achieving the life goal of living independent on his own, away from his family back in America.

            “Can I help you?”

A voice brought Mark back to reality.

            “Huh?”

            “Can I help you?” he asked again in English.

A guy standing next to him…he was around his age, with beautiful dark hair and there are wrinkles at the corner of his eyes when he smiled. Instant feeling of relief swept Mark’s inside.

            “Um…”

            “Are you lost?”

            “I dunno…I was supposed to be here…” Mark answered in Korean, startled the younger man.

            “You can speak Korean…” the wrinkles appeared again and Mark couldn’t help but to smile looking at it.

            “I…I take some classes before…”

The guy took the paper Mark was holding.

            “So you’re the transferred student in my class…I’m Jinyoung…Park Jinyoung…”

            “Mark Tuan…”

They two shook hands and neither of them didn’t want to acknowledge the little sparks of electricity ran through their skin at the brief touch.

            “Come…I’ll show you to your room…Jackson gonna be thrilled to have you with him…”

            “Jackson?”

            “Yeah…your new roommate…he’s from Hong Kong, former fencing athlete that decided to dance his way to stardom…he’s very nice…you’ll like him…c’mon…”

Mark smiled looking at Jinyoung walking on from of him, pulling his huge luggage while explaining the academy history in Korean and a few English when he saw Mark was struggling with the meaning of the words.

 

FIRST DATE AND FIRST KISS

            “Dude…stop fussing over your clothes…it’s just a date…” Jackson sat on his chair, laughing watching Mark rummaging through his closet, taking out various shirts, hoodies and tees, laying them down on his bed.

            “It’s not just a date ok? It’s my first with Jinyoung…unlike you, my first date is IMPORTANT…” Mark scratching his un-itchy head, thinking what looks best on him.

            “He’ll like you even if you wear the garbage plastic…” Jackson laughed lauder than before.

            “You’re not helping Wang!” Mark glared at him.

            “Seriously dude…just wear what you usually do…Jinyoung won’t change his mind about you…”

            “You think so?”

            “I know so…I knew him longer than you do remember?”

            “I guess you have a point there…”

Jinyoung arrived wearing a simple dark blue sweater over a white t-shirt, with a pair of washed up jeans.

            “You looked good…” Mark said, eyeing Jinyoung from head to toe. He doesn’t know why but Jinyoung does look extra good tonight.

            “I could say the same about you…”

            “Well, now that you’re done complimenting on each other’s clothing, can you leave? My Jaebum is coming in 10 minutes and I want to be alone with him…” Jackson winked.

            “Shall we?” Mark extended his hand which Jinyoung took with a smile, lacing their fingers together.

            “Let’s go…”

            “Don’t come back so soon…” Jackson winked, shooing the two out the door.

The dinner went well and they decided to watch a movie. But halfway through the movie, both of them decided to leave because the story was lame as and the mood for movie was gone.

            “So, you never tell me why you love to dance…” Mark asked when he and Jinyoung were walking down the street heading back to the dorm.

            “You really wanna know?”

            “Yeah…I love watching you dance…it’s like the music run through your body and you move together as one…very fascinating if you ask me…”

            “Thank you for the compliment…you’re the first one to say that…”

            “I’m just stating what I saw…”

            “Well…my mother was a dancer before she passed away…she did ballet, quite famous prima ballerina before she met my dad and decided to quit so she could focus on her family…well, me actually since I was her only child.”

            “Wow…I never knew that…”

            “I never tell anyone actually…even to Jackson…”

            “That’s an honor…” Mark held Jinyoung’s hand.

            “But I used to watch her twirl around the living room with her light, elegant steps, telling me stories about her glory days as a dancer…I grew fond of it and here I am…”

            “I bet she’s beautiful…”

            “She is…well, look at her son then…” Jinyoung said with a small laugh. He paused when Mark stopped walking. “Why? What’s wrong?” he asked.

Jinyoung’s eyes went wide when Mark’s soft lips met his own.

            “I don’t want to freak you out but I love you so much Jinyoung ah…” Mark said, putting their forehead together after the short kiss.

            “I could see that…” Jinyoung wrapped his arm around Mark’s waist. “And guess what? I love you too…since the day I saw you the first time a year ago…”

**************

Mark looked at the screen of his phone.

 

Mom:

Are you there yet?

 

Soon…around half an hour away. Send…

 

Mom:

Say hi to him for me…tell him that I missed him so much.

 

Will do…I’ll call you again when I arrive. Send…

A picture of him and Jinyoung appeared on the screen. Smiles on their face with his house as their background.

 

MEET THE FAMILY

Jinyoung was fidgeting in his seat. The taxi ride was so long as he could remember.

            “What if they hate me?” Jinyoung said with worried look on his face.

            “Relax babe…” Mark took Jinyoung’s hand and kissed the knuckles. “They will love you…I know they do…”

            “What if…”

            “Stop ok? You’re just being paranoid for no reason…I’ve told my family about you and they’re fine with it…”

            “I dunno Mark…this is the first time I’m meeting them…”

            “And I promise it won’t be the last…”

It turned out that Mark’s parents and sibling was more than welcoming when Jinyoung arrived. His mom took instant fond of Jinyoung and by the end of the day, she felt like Jinyoung was like her long lost son and Jinyoung couldn’t be more happier…receiving motherly love from the woman that brought the love of his life to the world.

            “See…I told you that everything is gonna be alright…” Mark said as he and Jinyoung sat down by the pool after dinner.

A week with the Tuan felt so short.

            “Yeah…I’m the only who over thinking about it…” Jinyoung chuckled, remembering his actions when he first arrived.

            “So I guess you like my family then?”

            “Like? I love them! Your mom is so cool…and your dad too…Joey…Tammy, her husband and Grace…and I wish I could bring back your nieces with us…”

            “Tammy will kill us…although I know Leila and Kylie gonna love the idea…”

Jinyoung scooted closer and leaned his head on Mark’s shoulder.

            “Did I tell you that I’m glad that I found you?” Jinyoung said.

            “Not lately…” Mark giggled.

            “I mean it babe…my mom passed away when I was young and my dad…we barely talk to each other since he remarried…but this past week…it feels like I found the sense of family that I thought I would never feel again…”

            “I’m just glad that you’re happy…”

They were kissing when someone coughed, clearing .

            “Mom…”

            “Hate to cut short your make out session with Jinyoung but it’s time for family photo before you went back to Seoul…” Mrs. Tuan said, smiling, looking at the two young men.

            “Coming right up…”

            “You too Jinyoung…since you’re part of the family now…”

Jinyoung looked at Mark with a smile. Tears trying to break down at the corner of his eyes.

 

OPPOSITION

            “What do you mean you’re dating him?” Mr. Park stared at his son across the room. His eyes went to the blond young guy next to him.

            “I mean…we’re in a relationship…we’re serious about each other…”

Mark could see the piercing stare of the woman sitting next to Jinyoung’s father. Her gaze filled with hatred and filth.

            “But you two are men…two men can’t be in a relationship!”

            “Dad, we’re not living in the 50’s anymore…I love Mark and he love me!”

            “Love?” the woman sneered. “As if…it’s disgusting!”

            “Shut up!” Jinyoung yelled. He never raised his voice towards older people before but his patience just reached his limits. “You have no right to say anything!”

            “Don’t talk like that to your mom Park Jinyoung!”

            “She’s not my mom!”

            “Park Jinyoung!”

Mr. Park raised his hand but he stopped before it could hit Jinyoung.

            “I want to stop this nonsense! I will find you a nice woman and get you married…”

            “No dad! I’m not gonna do that! I’m staying with Mark!”

            “No family of mine does such degrading thing!”

            “Then feel free to erase my name from your family register…I’m leaving…” Jinyoung got up and pulled Mark’s hand. “Let’s go babe…”

            “But Jinyoung…your dad…” Mark looked at Mr. Park.

            “Let’s go babe…we’re done here…”

Mark hugged Jinyoung when the younger men crying in his arms.

            “I’m all alone Mark…he hates me…” Jinyoung sobbed.

            “It’s okay Jinyoung ah…you’re not alone…you still have me, our friends and my family with you…I’ll be here…I won’t go anywhere…”

            “Promise?”

            “Promise! I will keep getting back even if you don’t want me to…”

            “Ok…that sounds kinda creepy…” Jinyoung giggled, wiping off his tears.

Mark just glad that Jinyoung stopped crying because he hated to see the younger man sad.

                                                            ****************

The rain stopped a while ago but the sky remained grey as ever. Mark held the bouquet of flowers in his hands, walking carefully along the quiet path. He smiled as he saw the place he wanted to be within his eyes range. The place never changed; in fact it’s getting more beautiful as time passed by.

            “Hey baby…I’m here…happy anniversary…”

He put the flowers neatly on the marbled stone. Crouching down, he wiped the fallen leaves off the writings.

 

PARK JINYOUNG

22-09-1990   04-09-2014

 

            “Annyeonghasaeyo omonim…” he bowed at the tombstone next to it. “I’m here to visit you again…”

 

            “Mark…it’s Jinyoung…” Jackson said.

Mark dropped the file he was holding and rushed towards his stuff at the corner of the studio. He grabbed what he could find, as he tried to hold the tears that began to cloud his sight.

            “I’ll drive you to the hospital…there’s no way you could drive in this state…”

Jackson glanced at Mark in the seat next to him.

            “It’s ok Mark…he’s gonna make it through…” Jackson tried to reassured his friend but even he knew only miracle could reverse everything that happened.

            “What if…”

            “No! Don’t think that! He’s a strong guy…you know that…”

            “I dunno Jackson…”

Mark rushed towards the room and when he arrived, he saw Jinyoung was asleep with oxygen mask on. He looked so pale with various tubes attached to his arm.

            “Baby…” Mark gently brushed the hair off Jinyoung’s forehead. What he wouldn’t do just to see this man smiling again…happy like the day they had before.

            “Mark…”

Mark turned around and saw a doctor.

            “What happened to him Kihyun? I thought it was just a normal fever…”

            “I guess it’s time I told you something that Jinyoung didn’t want you to know…”

His heart almost stopped when Kihyun explained in detail about Jinyoung’s condition.

            “He had this rare heart condition…apparently, he inherited it from his mother…for the past few years I’ve told him to stop dancing since it could strain his heart…but he wouldn’t listen to me…”

            “He could be stubborn if he wanted to be…”

            “I know…and he’s been off the medication for a few months…much to my disagreement…he said he was getting better…but we both know he end up here…”

            “Is there anything we could do? Transplant?”

            “It will be long since the waiting list…you know the drill right?”

Mark nodded. Never been in his life he felt so helpless.

            “So what’s next Ki? I mean…Jinyoung…he’s…what…”

            “I honestly don’t know…it still amazed me that he still able to hang on…”

Every step he took felt so heavy…it seems like he was dragging a huge chain with stone. Why did Jinyoung hide all the truth from him? He knew that Jinyoung would get sick every now and then but it never occurred to him that it could be this serious. Jinyoung always evaded his questions and he didn’t pry further since he didn’t want to upset him.

            “Babe…babe…”

Mark felt a hand on his head. He looked up and saw Jinyoung smiling at him.

            “Jinyoung ah…”

            “What…are…you…doing…he…here?” Jinyoung said between breaths.

            “You’re here so…where else should I be then?”

            “I’m…so…sorry Mark…for everything…”

            “No…don’t be…you’ve done nothing wrong…” Mark caressed Jinyoung’s cheek. Tears rolled down his pale skin.

            “I’m…sorry…for…hiding…this from…you…I’m…afraid…that you…you will leave…me…if…you…”

            “What did I tell you babe? I won’t leave…I would keep getting back even if you don’t want me…” Mark kissed Jinyoung’s forehead.

            “There’s something I have…to tell…you…”

            “What is it?”

            “My mom…she…stopped dancing because of this disease…I’m living her dream as a dancer…for her…”

Mark tears broke free. He held Jinyoung’s hand, squeezing it gently.

            “She’s gonna be so proud of you babe…I know she will…”

            “I hope so…I just…she’s gonna be happy when I saw her right?”

Mark didn’t know what to say…it’s the toughest question in his life.

Jinyoung suddenly break down into severe cough.

            “Breathe babe…just breathe…I’ll call the doctor…”

Mark felt a tug in his hand when he’s about to leave.

            “I’ve never regretted…meeting you Mark…you’re the…best man…I could’ve ask for…”

            “Me too babe…me too…”

            “And I’m…sorry for causing you the trouble…hiding…this…from you…”

            “Then you have to make it up to me! You gonna be ok and spend the rest of your life with me!”

Jinyoung coughed again. The machine gave a loud beeping sound, sending alarm.

            “I…love…love…you…so much Mark! I promise…I…will…stay…with you…in our next life…”

His eyes closed.

            “Jinyoung ah! Yaa Park Jinyoung! Don’t you dare leave me!” Mark wept.

A group of doctors and nurses rushed into the room pushing Mark aside.

            “Please Jinyoung…don’t…don’t leave me…”

Then…

            “Name Park Jinyoung, age 24…time of death 10.34 pm…”

******************

            “Mom said hi…she said she missed you so much…well, we all did actually…Kylie and Leila finally understand that their Uncle Jinyoung won’t be coming to visit during the holidays anymore…”

Mark sighed. He sat in front of the tombstone, trying to smile and he talked….imagining that Jinyoung was with him. It’s been two years but it still feel like it was yesterday that he met Jinyoung during their college days.

            “Jackson and Jaebum are tying the knot this coming summer. Jaebum kept whining about Jackson wanting to go for a sky dive on their wedding day…crazy huh? But I know he would eventually follow Jackson’s idea…he always does right?”

Mark glanced at the watch on his wrist. A gift from Jinyoung for his birthday. He’s been at the cemetery for hours already.

            “It’s getting late…the last train to Seoul is half an hour away…so I guess I should get going now…”

He got up, brushed the dirt off his . Mark walked away and with a last glance, he turned around.

            “I’ll come again Jinyoung ah…it’s my promise to you…”

 

I wrote this for while everyone in my house was sleeping actually...I hope no one get mad at me for writing a sad story about MarkJin...

Tell me what you guys think about this oneshot!

And I just hit 250+ subbers!!!! (confetti rain!!!!)

Floood the comment box!

BBYONG!!!