SIXTEEN

TWO BROKEN HEARTS

Jinyoung was walking when he saw someone sitting on the pier. He felt a sense of uneasiness when the guy suddenly stood up on the beam, facing the water below. Afraid that something bad might happen, he rushed towards the pier.

            “What are you doing here?” Mark asked…glad to see a familiar face for once.

            “I could ask you the same thing…”

Mark jumped down on the wooden plank.

            “Are you really gonna jump?”

            “For a second…”

            “For real?” Jinyoung said with a frown. This guy can’t be serious.

            “Not really…but I do wonder how the water would feel like during this time of the day…” Mark chuckled.

            “You’re crazy…” Jinyoung shook his head.

            “So I’ve been told…”

The pair walked down the pathway together.

            “So, why are you alone? Seems like the thing in Jeju is happening again…” Mark said, looking at Jinyoung.

            “Well…I need to do things alone from now on…”

            “What do you mean?” Mark frowned.

            “It mean…” Jinyoung took a deep breath. “I’ve broke up with my boyfriend…”

            “You do? Sorry…I shouldn’t have asked…”

            “It’s ok…it’s the truth anyway…what about you? Shouldn’t you be with your boyfriend? Or is he still busy with work?”

            “Well…he’s probably being busy…with someone else…”

            “Huh?” It was Jinyoung’s turn to frown.

            “Looks like we’re both single this time around…I just found out that my boyfriend is sleeping with someone else behind my back today.”

            “Oh my god…” Jinyoung gasped.

            “What?” Mark looked at him.                    

            “That’s exactly what happened to me! I caught my ex with another guy about a few days ago!”

            “No way!”

They both looked at each other and burst out laughing.

            “Who knew…” Mark muttered.

            “Yeah…I got goosebumps all over…” Jinyoung said, rubbing his arms.

            “That is some freaky twisted thing to happen don’t you think? Who would’ve known that we would meet up again with the same thing happened to us?”

            “I know…call it fate or anything…but it still seems freaky…”

            “What are the chances that our exes end up being together?”

Mark and Jinyoung stared at each other again. They froze up for a few good seconds.

            “Naaah!” Jinyoung shook his head. “It can’t be!”

            “Yeah…that could only happen in the movie…” Mark agreed.

            “Yup!”

            “Well…it’s the first time I laugh this hard since the breakup…it’s a good thing I see you tonight…”

            “Same here…”

They walked and spotted a nearby convenience store hundred meters away.

            “Hey, I’m kinda hungry…have you eaten yet?” Jinyoung asked.

            “Not yet…but I’m thinking about having some ramen now that I’ve seen the store…”

            “Let’s go…I’ll buy you dinner tonight…”

Mark and Jinyoung went to store and picked a few things.

            “Are you driving?” Jinyoung asked as he looked at the drinks.

            “Yeah…my car is at the parking lot…”

            “Well, it’s Coke then…” Jinyoung took two cans of Coke.

Mark walked towards Jinyoung with a basket.

            “Thank you…” Jinyoung put the cans into it. “Let see…ramen…kimbab…chips…drinks…you want anything else?”

            “I think this is enough…”

            “Are you sure?”

            “Yes Jinyoung…it’s just the two of us anyway…”

They went to the counter.

            “Is this all?” the elderly woman behind the counter asked.

            “Nae ajumma…” Jinyoung smiled.

She began scanning the items.

            “That would be…67000 won…”

Jinyoung was about to take the money out of his wallet when Mark gave his card to the lady.

            “Yaa, I thought I said I’m buying you dinner…” Jinyoung said. “Ajumma, I’m the one who’s paying for this…”

            “No…I’m paying…just keep the money…and buy me lunch next time.”

            “But…”

            “Keep it…”

            “Aigoo…such a lovely couple…I wish I was young…”

            “Oh…we’re not a couple…we’re just friends…” Mark said, putting the stuff into a bag.

            “Well in that case, you two should start dating then…”

Mark and Jinyoung just glanced at each other and smiled. The two left the store and ate outside at the picnic tables a few feet away.

            “Thanks for the dinner…” Jinyoung said, cleaning up the empty bowls and leftover chips wrappers.

            “No problem…my pleasure…”

            “I promise I’ll buy you lunch…I have a hyung that run a café and his pasta is to die for…”

            “I’ll be waiting…”  

Jinyoung looked over and saw Mark smiling at him.

            “What?” he asked. “Is something on my face?” Jinyoung rubbed his chin and cheeks.

            “No…it’s just…I still can believe we meet again like this…first Jeju and then here…”

            “Well, me neither…and it’s kinda weird…it feel like we’ve known each other for a long time don’t you think?”

Mark nodded. He rarely meets someone that clicked instantly like the way Jinyoung did. They’re different but still the same in a way.

            “Here…” Jinyoung raised his can of soda. “To friendship…”

            “To friendship…and starting a new life…” Mark raised his can of soda too.

            “Yes…new life…time to move forward…”

A dull sound of cans hitting each other echoed.

 

Double update since it's a short chapter...MarkJin journey is beginning...

Flood the comment box!

BBYONG!!!