TWENTY

TWO BROKEN HEARTS

Wonho took off his apron and went to the far side table in the quiet café.

            “How was the food?” he asked, sitting across the small table.

            “Great as usual hyung…” Mark smiled.

            “I saw the news…about Youngjae…I bet Tammy lost her seeing that…”

            “Oh yeah…big time…”

            “How are you holding up?”

            “Ok I guess…I’m over him…he’s not worth it…”

            “I’m glad…”

Wonho and Mark were talking when the entrance bell chimed.

            “Jinyoung ah!” Wonho waved.

*Jinyoung?* Mark frowned.    

            “Hyung…” Jinyoung skipped towards the older guy but then he stopped.  “Mark?”

            “Jinyoung…”

            “Hold up! You two knew each other?” Wonho looked at the both of them.

            “How do you know him?” Jinyoung and Mark said together in unison.

            “Okay…let’s sit down and figure this out shall we?” Wonho said, pulling Jinyoung to sit.

A while later…

            “Thank you Mina…” Jinyoung said as the waiter put a glass of orange juice in front of him.

            “You’re welcome oppa…” she said and went to the counter.

            “So, this is the dongsaeng you’re talking about hyung?” Mark said. He still can’t believe that Wonho actually knew Jinyoung.

            “Yeah…” Wonho nodded.

What a small world…who knew that they do actually have a mutual friend after all.

            “You’re telling me that Youngjae and Jaebum hooked up behind your back?” Wonho eyes almost fall out from its socket.

            “Yup…we both just knew about it the other day…unexpected really…” Jinyoung looked at Mark.

            “That’s ed up!”

            “Tell us about it…” Mark chuckled. “But hey, they do deserve each other.”

            “True…one cheating jerk did belong with another cheating jerk…but still…what are the chances right?”

            “We’re pretty shocked too…”

            “Wait until Hyunwoo hear about it…” Wonho said.

            “Hear about what?” Hyunwoo said, walking towards their table.

            “Hey babe…” Wonho beamed when he saw Hyunwoo. “You won’t believe what I just heard…”

            “What is it?” Hyunwoo kissed Wonho’s lips. “Jinyoung ah…Mark…you two are here?”

            “Hey hyung…”

An hour later…

            “There’s no need to walk me back to my shop Mark…I’m a big boy…” Jinyoung said.

            “I want to…besides, it a good exercise after that meal…”

Jinyoung looked and saw a car coming from their back. He pulled Mark towards him as the car passed by.

            “Careful!” Jinyoung’s hand held tightly on Mark’s arms.

            “Th…thanks…” Mark said, watching the car.

            “The people here are like rally drivers…they seemed not to care about other pedestrian…you gotta be careful…”

            “Yes sir!”

The close proximity made Mark’s heart beating fast…

*What is this…* he thought. Mark looked at Jinyoung and the other was just smiling, showing the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes. *Cute…*

            “What? I have something on my face?” Jinyoung asked, touching his face.

            “Nothing…it’s just…I like that wrinkles you made when you smile…it’s rather cute…”

Jinyoung blushed at the comment. No one had ever said that to him before.

********************************

Jinyoung was busy spraying water on the flowers inside the cooler when a call came to his phone. He looked at the screen and saw Mark’s name.

            “Yes Mr. VP…” he said jokingly, knowing the guy at the end of the line would frown.

            “Mr. Flower Boy…” Mark chuckled.

            “Flower Boy? Really now?” Jinyoung smiled.

            “That’s the only thing I can came out with…lame huh?”

            “Pretty much…you’re at the office?”

            “Yeah…tons of documents need to be reviewed…”

            “Then why are you wasting time calling me? You should be doing those works…unless you wanted trouble from your superior…”

            “It’s ok…I’m the boss…besides, talking with you is not a waste of time…”

            “Aren’t you a sweet talker? So…what’s up?”

            “Um…I was just wondering…if you’re free tonight…”

            “Why?’

            “There’s this event that I have to attend and I hate going solo…so I thought maybe I could bring you along…just chill there an hour or so, then we can leave for a drink or something afterwards…”

            “Tonight? Um…” Jinyoung looked at the calendar and saw the circled date. “I’m so sorry Mark…I’m afraid I can’t…”

            “Why?”

            “It’s just that…I have a family thing going on tonight and I can’t miss unless I want my head chopped off by my mom…”

            “You do?” Mark sighed.

            “Sorry…”

            “Don’t be…there’s nothing can be done if it’s family related…”

            “Look, how bout I call you tonight if I get to leave early…honestly, I’m not a big fan of parties and social gathering…”

            “Okay…”

            “I’m so sorry Mark…I wish I could ditch that but I can’t…”

            “It’s ok Jinyoung ah…looks like I’m riding solo tonight…”

            “So am I…”

That night…

Mark walked into the grand ballroom hall and saw that many people already crowding in. he looked around and saw Hansol came running towards him.

            “Sir…” he bowed. “Your father has been looking for you…”

            “I know…he’s been on my ever since I left the house…”

He saw his father talking to bunch of older men in suit and went towards him when the old man waved.

            “Annyeonghasaeyo…” Mark said and politely bowed. “Sorry I was late…the traffic was bad…”

            “It’s okay son…” Mr. Tuan patted his back. “So this is Tuan Inc. Vice President…Mark…”

Mark shook hands with the men, smiling.

            “Good gracious Raymond…what a great young man you have here…don’t it feel good having a reliable son that you can count on to continue your legacy?” one of the man said. It was Mr. Park, the president of Park Holding.

            “Yes…I do…”

Mark listened as the men talked and casually taking part in the conversation. He got to meet higher ranking executives at the inauguration party. The merger between two companies was a huge success since Park Holding is currently one of the top dogs in the construction industry and their business goals are quite similar with Tuan Holding…no to mention that the two presidents of both company is a great friends.

            “I dunno why I’m here mom…” Jinyoung said, as he was fixing his cufflinks. Being in a suit already making him suffocate.

            “It’s you dad’s big night honey and you as his son should be here…” his mom smiled, linking their arms together. “You have to start familiarizing yourself with these people here…one day you gonna take over the business and you need all the connections and good words you can get…”

            “Do I have to mom? I mean…I’m not interested with corporate world…can’t just Jihoon hyung take over instead? He’s Jinsol noona’s husband and the current VP…”

            “Do you really mean that Junior?” Mrs. Park stared at her son.

            “Yeah…I know that dad build this company with hard work and I saw how Jihoon hyung helped him…he’s the one that deserved to be dad’s successor, not me…”

            “But your dad really hoped that his only son to take the throne…”

            “I know mom…but wouldn’t it be unfair to Jihoon hyung? He’s a good man mom, he will make sure dad’s company soar to success…”

            “Aigoo…since when did my baby grow up so much?” Mrs. Park Jinyoung’s cheek.

            “I will talk to dad…”

Mark was drinking alone when someone tapped his shoulder.

            “Jihoon hyung!” Mark said, hugging the guy.

            “Hey Mark…” Jihoon took a glass of juice. “It’s getting pretty hectic here huh?”

            “Yeah…”

            “Looks like your father in law and my dad I having a great time…” Mark said, looking at his father and Jihoon’s father in law laughing.

            “Yeah…it’s their dream after all…”

            “The merger is a good thing don’t you think so hyung?”

            “Yup…I’m glad I can to work with you…my father in law had nothing but praise for you…”

            “Well, same goes to you…”

Both men chatted for a while until Jihoon excused himself and Mark was alone again. He was about to leave when he saw Jinyoung walking arm in arm with an older woman. He recognize the woman, she was President Park’s wife. His older sister was in the circle of women too.

*What is he doing here?*

Mark took out his phone and dialed Jinyoung’s number. A few seconds later, the call was connected.

            “Hello…” Jinyoung’s voice greeted him.

            “Hey…where you at?”

            “Me? At a party filled with people in suits…what about you?”

Mark eyes followed Jinyoung as he walked away from the women, talking on the phone. Mark slowly made his way towards him.

            “Well…I’m at an equal place like you did…”

            “Are you having fun?” Jinyoung asked.

            “Kinda…you look great in that black suit I must say…”

            “Well…thanks…my sister…”

Jinyoung paused.

            “Wait…how did you know I wear black suit?” his eyes wondered around.

Their gaze met.

            “Hi Jinyoung…”

Jinyoung saw Mark waved across the room and a smiled instantly formed on his face.

            “You’re here?” Jinyoung asked.

            “So this is your family related thing?”

            “Yeah…” Jinyoung nodded.

Outside the ballroom hall…

            “So, our sisters are friends…our dads are friends…our mom are close…and how come we didn’t know each other until Jeju happened?” Mark said staring at Jinyoung.

            “I dunno…maybe it’s because I’m not involved with the company…”

            “Could be…”

            “My brother in law is great isn’t he?”

            “Yeah…I learned a lot from him actually…wow…I can’t believe that this is actually happening…” Mark leaned against the wall.

            “I know right?”

            “What a small world…”

            “Hey, since you’re here…do you think we could sneak out? I’m getting stuffy in there…”

            “That’s a good idea…let me call my assistant…and tell him we’re leaving…” Mark took out his phone. “Hansol ah…could you meet me outside? South door…just behind the garden…ok…”

            “Hansol?”

            “Yeah…”

A few minutes later…

            “Hansol ah, over here!” Mark waved.

Jinyoung turned around.

            “Jinyoung hyung?”

            “Hansol?”

            “Wait…you know my assistant?” Mark looked at Jinyoung.

            “Well…yeah…his boyfriend was one of my employees…is Seungkwan here tonight?”

            “No…he’s at home…studying I guess…sir…” Hansol bowed at Mark.

            “Hansol ah…I’m leaving…if anyone ask, just make any excuses ok?”

            “Where are you going?” Hansol asked, wide eyes. He still can’t believe that his boss knew his boyfriend’s boss.

            “Away from here…let’s go Jinyoung ah…” Mark pulled Jinyoung’s hands.

            “Say hi to Seungkwan…”

            “Nae…nae hyung…”

Hansol watched as the two men went back inside the ballroom, heading towards the exit.

 

It seems like they have so many mutuals acquaintance...

Enjoy reading and flood the comment box!

BBYONG!!!!