Locket

One a day (Shinhwa one shot collection)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This might be a little heavy... I read an article on my way home from school, about refugees and how some politicians think we should take their possessions from them to pay for food and shelter. I got emotional thinking about how a small thing can mean so much to someone who has lost everything, and I just had to write about this...

 

He didn’t understand anything that was being said. They had given him a blanket and some water. There were people all around him, whispering and talking to each other, some families trying to comfort each other, kids crying and screaming for their parents.

He looked down at the gold locket, it was open, revealing the six smiling faces. It seemed so long ago, but it was only a few days ago.

“To us!” Dongwan raised a glass and they all joined, celebrating Shinhwa’s successful comeback was always something Minwoo loved, this time they had a song he was particularly proud of, and he knew they could win many awards.

“Ah… I have a present…” Eric suddenly spoke up, grabbing Junjin by the arm, the youngest digging out a small bag from his bag.

“We thought… we should have friendship lockets… It’s cheesy and all, but, me and Jinnie have the bracelets, and Hyesung and group S have rings so…” Eric tried to explain, rubbing his neck as Junjin handed out small boxes to all of them.

“Oh wow…” they all praised and exclaimed, putting the necklaces on and looking at the picture inside. A picture of them all together, huddled together back in their first dorm before they debuted.

Minwoo was happy.

He let a finger trace over the picture In the locket, they were so happy.

A voice sounded over the radio, again in English, something about, something please, he didn’t understand and he didn’t have the energy to try.

What was that!?” something that seemed like an explosion was heard outside the restaurant, and soon air horns began.

“It seems we are under attack, please remain calm and wait for instructions” the waitress was trembling as she explained, Minwoo felt his heart sink.

“Sir… I think we have to go to the register…” a woman turned to Minwoo, speaking in a friendly manner.

“Yes…” he couldn’t smile, he had lost the ability to smile.

Hours passed and they were hiding in the basement of the restaurant with the staff and other guests. The bombs kept sounding, apparently north Korea had attacked, and no one knew how to react.

“Pick up… pick up you jerk!” Hyesung screamed at his phone, almost throwing it to the wall in anger, but then remembering he needed it if he wanted to contact his friend.

He had been trying to contact Kangta for a while now.

The radio had told them to remain calm and to leave the country if at all possible. They were to find refugee posts as they would help them escape to countries like America and Japan, but they couldn’t leave before the bombs stopped.

“Hyesung…” Dongwan put a hand on the taller man’s back, Hyesung was crying by now, he had broken down, finally letting everything get to him. His face was full of worry as the phone kept going to the machine.

“Dongwan… Kangta was going to meet us… he is out there on the street…” Dongwan didn’t respond, instead he wrapped the other man in a tight hug and sent Minwoo a look, pleading for him to help.

“Hyesungie… you should call Jihoon… wasn’t he with Jihoon before?” the slender man looked up and did as he was told, he was biting his bottom lip, trembling with fear as he waited for the man to pick up.

“Jihoon! Oh god I’m so happy you are here, I can’t reach Chilhyun I…” his voice trailed off as his face turned to stone, Minwoo could feel the shivers going down his spine.

“I don’t understand… what do you mean gone…?” Hyesung was on the verge of tears, his teeth clasping together, whole body trembling.

“No… No but he had nothing to do with that! Jihoon! No! No you are wrong! No!” he finally screamed, falling to his knees, throwing the phone at the wall as he let his tears flow.

Minwoo never fully found out what happened to Kangta, Hyesung couldn’t talk about it all that much, only small broken sentences. Something about China supporting North Korea, and Kangta being called China lover, something about how he protected some Chinese artists, and how Jihoon had seen them… he had heard Kangta’s screams…

“Hyesung…” Minwoo tried, a hand on the taller man, but Hyesung hadn’t spoken since the phone call, he wasn’t crying either, he wasn’t really anything now.

They were on the street now, making their way through rubble to the pickup stations, namely metro’s and train stations, they would take them to either boats or planes.

“Hyesung… I’m sorry… “ he tried again, and suddenly the lead singer stopped and faced him.

“Don’t, Minwoo I don’t need to hear anything right now. Don’t tell me all that, “I’m sorry for your loss” crap, it doesn’t change anything and I am not in the mood for it” he snapped, leaving Minwoo with a horrible taste in his mouth, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter